Another Gym Weirdo..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Gym Weirdo..

We have all had our share of strange encounters at the gym with bizarre people. This one is quite a sight to see, I don't know if I can convey the odd nature of this fellow's behavior in a way that will do it justice, but I will try.
    Picture a middle-aged guy with wild, greying hair, bad teeth, huge eyebrows and dressed in regular street clothes coming into the workout room.He never wears proper gym attire, and really works up quite a sweat. He spends a good 20 minutes to a half hour standing in one spot in front of the heavybag striking it with a weird, half - assed hammer fist. Over and over, no bouncing on his toes or side to side movement , no head movement etc. That is one thing, but the guy doesn't even change hands or his positioning for the entire time he hits the damn bag. If I didn't know better I would chalk it up to some shitty kind of hand conditioning he may think he is doing. But its not..its just strange. He started off doing it bare-fisted but now he wraps his hand up in a cloth when he does it.
    He also gets on the ab crunch machine, sets it at the easiest level so he is literally whizzing up and down at a tremendous speed, and spins a towel in front of his face while doing it , again, he performs this strange ritual for lengthy periods of time. Sometimes up to a half hour..
    The one other weird thing he does, but not as frequently - is ride the exercise bike and flail his hands around in the air as he rides, almost in a jumping-jack sort of motion.
    I have never seen him pick up a weight yet.
    When he first began coming he would just come in with his street clothes on and do his thing, then leave. Now that he has grown a bit more comfortable there , he brings a gym bag and gets himself a locker..but he still wears his clothes out to the exercise area and after working out, he has a shower, puts on the same sweaty clothes he wore while he was out in the gym - and then leaves.
    Its bizarre..the guy is harmless, or at least appears relatively so. He never speaks a word to anyone..but gives ample room to anyone else whom he sees hit the heavybag with any sort of proficiency.
    I am not sure why I am even sharing this, but it is quite strange to behold. Part of me wants to take the guy aside and show him the basics on how to hit the bag, but because he is using a hammer-style fist to hit it, he is really in no danger of hurting his hand or damaging his knuckles seriously. He just does it over and over and over..I do notice that when a female comes in the room he hits it just a little bit harder though, which I find amusing.
    Should I just let the crazy man do his thing? Or should I try and be a nice guy and give him a few pointers ? Maybe he doesn't want to hit the bag in a normal fashion because he has no gloves and doesn't want to wear the gross, shitty couple of pairs that are lying around in the room for public use? Maybe he doesn't want anyone bothering him and will take offense if I try to show him a thing or two. Should I just mind my own business ? Part of me is afraid to try and help him because then he might think he's my buddy and want to work out with me all the time. But I doubt it..I don't know why I feel the compulsion to approach him. Perhaps I just want to hear him talk and find out how nuts he really is - or if he even is crazy. Maybe he's not..its just so.. weird.
    What should I do?

I'd say leave the guy alone. He's obviously a little off-kilter. In his mind, he's probably doing some kind of hardcore chop-socky workout that he came up with while watching a Kung Fu marathon. He may get insulted that you questioned his training. Worse yet, he may latch on to you (as you pointed out), after which you'll never again be comfortable at your gym while he's there.

My own gym weirdo story: at my gym, there's a small mat room that has a speed bag and a heavy bag in one corner. One day last week I was in there stretching while a couple of guys took turns hitting the heavy bag. They both had gloves on and looked like they knew what they were doing. Everyone was minding their own business until a guy in a camo t-shirt walked in. He struck up a conversation with the boxers, told them he was a "muay thai black belt", and proceeded to give them an unsolicited fifteen-minute lesson on punching, footwork, MMA, and the like, all the time hitting the bag with all the force of a four year old. The look on the boxers' faces was priceless.

Comment

I say speak to the guy.

If he's normal, you'll help him with some pointers and a show that the gym is friendly.

If he's a fucking nut-job (my psychology degree is in the mail), you'll spook him, he'll leave and you'll have helped everyone.

Easier said than done. If it was me, I'd want to help the guy, never bring myself to do it, and go home kicking myself every time.

Comment

Take a video so we can see it.

Comment

Maybe you could try just being friendly and seeing what happens.

Comment

Could be worse. He could be using the squat rack inappropriately.

Comment

Oh, just leave me alone...uh, I mean leave HIM alone. Damn you.

Comment

Yeah, leave him alone. If it is weird enough to post about he may end up being that bothersome "friend."

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                  I say speak to the guy.

If he's normal, you'll help him with some pointers and a show that the gym is friendly.

If he's a fucking nut-job (my psychology degree is in the mail), you'll spook him, he'll leave and you'll have helped everyone.
                  You know there's more than one kind of crazy. Depending on which kind he is he might do any of a variety of things.

Comment

10 bucks says if OZZ talks to the guy, he'll say he's doing extra special t3h d34dly training

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                      Yeah, leave him alone. If it is weird enough to post about he may end up being that bothersome "friend."
                      Yeah, leave the guy alone. For all we know, he could even be reading this thread right now. Maybe even posting in it, encouraging you to contact him so he'll know which guy in the gym you are, and exact his revenge for publicly mocking him on an Internet forum. In fact, my money's on it being Ignorami.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
                        In fact, my money's on it being Ignorami.
                        HEY! I may have the same fighting style, no footwork, sweaty street clothes and bad teeth, but I DO NOT have grey hair motherfucker!

Comment

He could be smacking the bag around as a form of stress relief, as for his other idiosyncrasies, some people are just... off in certain ways.

Comment

Maybe his ex-wife's corpse is hidden inside the heavy bag?

The weird cycling with waving arms is a kind of lap-of-honour for the job he did on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
                              In fact, my money's on it being Ignorami.
                              Actually now that you mention it, it could be some kinda t3h ki aikido atemi he's doing.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X