Live Blade in Self Defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Blade in Self Defense?

This video starting at around 2:18 shows a rape prevention self defense scenario. The knife in the video is real. I have confirmed this with the male instructor in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0J2u...layer_embedded

Here is the source of the vid:
    http://www.goldsmithkungfu.com/self-defense-seminars

I am posting this to get feedback from the MA community on the use of live blades in self defense training and of course the use of a live blade in this particular demo. I will say the instructor informed me that he only used a live blade because he "had forgotten to bring [his] training knife with [him]". But he also indicated he has done live knife work before with the other person in the video.

I have notified this instructor (Sifu Jason who is a Bullshido member) that I am putting up this thread and will send him a link to this thread as soon as I post it.

Hi there. This is the instructor here. My thought on a demo like this is identical to that of other live weapon performances with trained people. What do I mean?

Take for example circus acts where someone is shooting an apple of someone's head with an arrow. Or the Shaolin monks who use live weapons in their demos, etc, etc.

Everyone in the drill knew exactly what to do, it was rehearsed many times before, and the situation was assessed to make sure it was safe (ie no puddles of water on the floor, etc).

Remember, this is a demo, not a training exercise. And yes, we had planned to use a training blade, but had done this drill with a live knife multiple times before in "rehearsal." It really wasn't an issue at all...

Comment

Originally posted by SifuJason View Post
      Hi there. This is the instructor here. My thought on a demo like this is identical to that of other live weapon performances with trained people. What do I mean?

Take for example circus acts where someone is shooting an apple of someone's head with an arrow. Or the Shaolin monks who use live weapons in their demos, etc, etc.

Everyone in the drill knew exactly what to do, it was rehearsed many times before, and the situation was assessed to make sure it was safe (ie no puddles of water on the floor, etc).

Remember, this is a demo, not a training exercise. And yes, we had planned to use a training blade, but had done this drill with a live knife multiple times before in "rehearsal." It really wasn't an issue at all...
      This is a re-post of what I posted on the MAP thread:

Your school, or any other, should not be run like a circus or a Shaolin Temple. Safety first.

I've been to your school. There are many young children there. I wouldn't dream of training in such a way that would give them the message that it's ok, as long as you have training, to put an actual blade near someone's throat.

I have seen Master level instructors drop weapons. I have seen all sorts of things happen by accident. You train without lives blades to minimize the injury if anything were to happen.

Your training and experience are there for you to fall back on. They are not there for you to say "oh, I'm highly trained...nothing will happen."

Comment

Demo team training with a live blade is different than a random student or children being taught a live blade is okay. Good lord you made some disturbingly weird leaps in logic in your post.

What made you type such a fallacy ridden post? What made you bring MAP whining to bullshido?

Sifu Jason did a live blade demo, with people who understood what was happening and AGREED, and you drag his school and children into the argument?

Good lord, do I need to get all the demos with real swords, staffs, spears, knives, and etc. Training does not equal a demo. I trained with live weapons in my stle all of the time.

Yes, combat steel weapons that could and some did hold an edge. Oh, I do find your passive dig at Sifu Jason rather insulting. Before you say it, SJ and I have disagreed on many things. So, if you start with the "OMG bullshido defends its own" I will put this in trollshido.

Your logic is flawed.

Comment

That wasn't even a live demo. It was a static one. You might have a point if Sifu Jason was waving the blade around during an exercise with a ton of movement, but he basically stayed still during the demonstration. Thus minimizing any danger to his demo partner.

Conclusion, you're yet another useless drama whore. Get the fuck off of this site.
          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I have posted an identical thread at MAP and it is going well.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...ad.php?t=99490

It's obvious to me that civility is something I will not find here at Bullshido.
            I will not be posting on this thread any further.
            Direct any further comments to the MAP thread.

Comment

Originally posted by WalksWithBruce View Post

It's obvious to me that civility is something I will not find here at Bullshido.
              Then fucking leave.

We don't need you.

P.S. If "going well" is code for "people are agreeing with me", then you're a fucking asshole.

Comment

Where is the lack of civility in this thread?

Comment

You just lit an instructor up by implying he wasn't as good as masters, that he teaches children to disrespect blades, insult his training with a comparison to shaolin temple and that he doesn't know how to run a demo? DO I need to go into the implication and weight the statement "I've been to your school" carries even though it is a logical fallacy?

Fuck you and your hypocritical post and whining.

Do we need to get into another ToS debate? The fact that you can be BANNED for lack of civility on MAP makes your argument null and void.

Good to know you were a shit stirrer back when many people accused you of being a troll.
                  Last edited by It is Fake; 2/13/2011 2:24pm, .

Comment

Also, since no one stated it in the thread, this was started in MABS our serious investigation forum:

Comment

T
                      I've been to your school. There are many young children there. I wouldn't dream of training in such a way that would give them the message that it's ok, as long as you have training, to put an actual blade near someone's throat.
                      To reiterate what I posted on MAP

1) I don't teach little young children. No one under 10 is allowed in my classes, and those who are 10-16 must attend class with one of their parents. This is a mandatory requirement. Any little children you saw where from the TKD school I sublet from.

2) The people doing this demo were experienced. Tiffany had ~13 years of training at the time, I had ~19 years. We had trained this specific drill numerous times, both compliantly and with resistance with training knives, and compliantly with a live knife, so we could do a demo like this.

As others pointed out, this was a compliant demo, no different that many other live weapon demos done in martial arts.

Comment

I'm 100% against training with a live blade like an idiot. It's gone wrong many times before and caused a lot of heartbreak. However, that demo was well controlled and well-rehearsed. Personally, I would've used a training knife (I know he said he forgot it) because for demonstration purposes I think the live blade adds danger and little else. But live blades have been used intelligently in training in lots of arts and can be done reasonably safely (test cutting, forms/patterns). Obviously a trainer is to be used in live scenarios and sparring.

Comment

Just to clarify...

Does WalksWithBruce walk with Bruce Lee, or Bruce Campbell?

I need to know before I pick a side.

Comment

What about Bruce Buffer?

Comment

/devil's advocate

Wouldn't it be pretty dangerous to practice with a training blade, then during the demo when everybody is a bit more nervous than usual introduce a live blade? I could understand if you always used live blades and it wasn't a big deal to either party, but i feel like stress of using a live blade without practicing with one added to the stress of a live demo could lead to false moves.
                              /devils advocate

Also op for bringing map into this discussion you just killed your argument.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X