Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does weight lifting strength translate into Knock out Power for self defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
    No weight training? Only make you big and bulky? and slow you down?
    I take it that as your first line this is meant to be a joke. Cause no one can possible believe that weight training will slow you down. I was actually reading up on this very subject awhile back cause i wanted to change my workout to heavier lifting less reps and i came across a article, below is the first few lines.

"There is no question about it! The stronger you are the faster you will be able to run. It's as simple as that!! Does that mean that the strongest man in the world can be the fastest man in the world? Let's take a closer look at strength training for speed improvement.

Physics tells us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Transferring this concept to sprinting simply means that the more force we apply to the ground as we put our foot down in a running motion, the more force will be returned to us in the form of energy to propel us down the track or playing field."

Strength is a huge part of fighting. Just vary the workout so you got high rep low weight days and high weight low rep days.
    Welcome to sarcasm! Not sure if you got that or not.

I think the OPs original dumbass question is being missed here. The Op asked about fighters of equal experience, technique, skill and size. Obviously, a smaller skilled guy can overcome a larger less skilled opponent; but that's not what the OP addressed. As well, being strong is beneficial to MA. But if all variables between two opponents are equal aside from strength training, the stronger fighter will have an advantage. I'm not sure where there is any debate about

Comment

This scenario is silly- if two people train the same amount and one of them adds on weight training as well, then those two are no longer training the same amount.

Comment

Exactly, the OP is stoopid.

Comment

OP, why don't you just ask if you should lift more weights to increase your striking power? That way, everyone could have called you an idiot right off the bat, and saved 4 pages of dissecting how retarded your hypothetical was?
          Originally posted by Sarcastro
          He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabetuno View Post
            OP, why don't you just ask if you should lift more weights to increase your striking power? That way, everyone could have called you an idiot right off the bat, and saved 4 pages of dissecting how retarded your hypothetical was?
            thats not what i was saying. I was under the assumption
            that mass+Speed=force(KO power) I was asking that if
            two people have same amount of speed precision (technique)
            and weight that still mass+ speed, even if one person has denser
            muscle mass and one guy has more regular body weigh.

if there both 200lbs, and ussing X amount of speed
            I was wondering if the weight lifting push strength would help.

MMAist like GSP have said in interviews with joe rogan that weightlifting doesnt really make
            you hit harder\, so how about you call him an idiot.

Comment

I think it has more to do with power, which is work over time. A better way to measure is the height or distance multiplied by mass.

Comment

consider not only force, but velocity. And, regarding that helpful snap/corkscrew, consider impulse.

Comment

Originally posted by newtoMA10 View Post
                  thats not what i was saying. I was under the assumption
                  that mass+Speed=force(KO power) I was asking that if
                  two people have same amount of speed precision (technique)
                  and weight that still mass+ speed, even if one person has denser
                  muscle mass and one guy has more regular body weigh.

if there both 200lbs, and ussing X amount of speed
                  I was wondering if the weight lifting push strength would help.

MMAist like GSP have said in interviews with joe rogan that weightlifting doesnt really make
                  you hit harder\, so how about you call him an idiot.
                  weightlifting not making you hit harder is a big fucking step from two people with the exact same skillset with one being stronger hitting with the same force....

Comment

what i dont get though is that i recently watched a video of GSP's training where he was doing various weight exercises, and his coach was talking about the benefits of them. i mean the guy is straight wrong from a scientific perspective, and i think in this article he is either fucking with Rogan, or there is some kind of language problem happening. or he is just not as bright as previously imagined.

in fact, if you go look on youtube he has a bunch of vids of his strength and conditioning training. on the TUF he coached he had guys doing S and C. so yeah, i would completely disregard that interview, i get the feeling there was a misinterpretation somewhere there.

Comment

Originally posted by kenpospirit View Post
                      I think it has more to do with power, which is work over time. A better way to measure is the height or distance multiplied by mass.
                      And there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                        what i dont get though is that i recently watched a video of GSP's training where he was doing various weight exercises, and his coach was talking about the benefits of them. i mean the guy is straight wrong from a scientific perspective, and i think in this article he is either fucking with Rogan, or there is some kind of language problem happening. or he is just not as bright as previously imagined.

in fact, if you go look on youtube he has a bunch of vids of his strength and conditioning training. on the TUF he coached he had guys doing S and C. so yeah, i would completely disregard that interview, i get the feeling there was a misinterpretation somewhere there.
                        I was thinking the exact same thing, here’s a guy who has a vigorous strength and condition program probably one of the best in the world, and then turns around and says that strength training doesn’t do anything except make him look more attractive.

I reckon between him and Silva they are in competition, who can say the most ridiculous thing in an interview.
                        Last edited by Like_A_Boss; 2/15/2011 2:07am, . Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

If you don't know the difference between a weight lifting routine and a strength/conditioning routine, then you really need to shut the fuck up and train.

Please, read this sentence carefully. If it applies to you, take it personally.
                          Originally posted by Sarcastro
                          He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabetuno View Post
                            If you don't know the difference between a weight lifting routine and a strength/conditioning routine, then you really need to shut the fuck up and train.

Please, read this sentence carefully. If it applies to you, take it personally.
                            what has this got to do with anything we are talking about? quiet in the cheap seats. nobody is talking about a "weightlifting routine" here.

Comment

Originally posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
                              strength training doesn’t do anything except make him look more attractive.
                              I think GSP's comment had more to do with the answer to why he doesn't bulk up even more. Professional sports have always complained that strength training in the weight room doesn't produce as much athletic performance improvement as they would guess.

Comment

Originally posted by kenpospirit View Post
                                Professional sports have always complained that strength training in the weight room doesn't produce as much athletic performance improvement as they would guess.
                                What?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X