Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does weight lifting strength translate into Knock out Power for self defense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Does strength translate directly into KO power? No.

Does increased strength increase KO power in someone who is already proficient in striking. Probably, yes.
    I was waiting for someone to say this! To OP go buy Joel Jamieson's book! would spiderman beat batman? lol

Comment

OP, Shut up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        I have seen 120lb woman boxer chew up a 300lb man that didn't know shit about striking. So skill can beat size.
        But could she knock him out?

Skill can totally beat size, but certain things -- finishing an armbar, landing a knockout punch, or surviving a life and death struggle are never going to favor the little guy, no matter how good he gets.

Obviously there are yuki nakais out there ready to snap anyone and everyone bigger than them's arms, but it's not fair to hold examples like that up as normal. Skill CAN beat size, but that much size is a VERY, VERY big advantage, and if you've never experienced it on either end it's hard to communicate exactly how big of an edge it gives you.

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeFan View Post
          OP, Shut up and train.
          QFT....

Comment

I already train in both arenas,but Im just considering moving
            my low weight high rep workout to to a high weight low rep workout
            and change my supplemental diets as well to increase upperbody
            strength to increase KO power and was wondering was this an official
            use of my time.

Comment

I definitely think weight training is good for both striking and grappling and a lot of training partners and coaches I really respect in both fields practice it.

Size/strength can both be huge advantages in a fighting scenario, and yes skill on the part of the smaller persons can diminish that advantage however it takes a large degree of skill to truly compensate for a major size difference. Being a newly minted blue belt in BJJ, or having a year of Muay Thai classes 3x a week, is probably not by itself going to be enough to make up for being behind by 80lbs of muscle mass in a "real fight"... perhaps add in superior aggression, etc, maybe? On the other hand, take someone who is truly advanced as a boxer, kickboxer, grappler, etc, and yes they can often handle a much larger, stronger opponent if that opponent is drastically less skilled. Also, "self defense" situations are inherently volatile and unpredictable. Crazy things happens... you can make generalizations but anything can go down.

Comment

Originally posted by newtoMA10 View Post
                strength to increase KO power
                and was wondering was this an official
                use of my time.
                Here's where you've gone wrong.

Increasing upperbody strength alone will not have a fantastic impact on your punching power. squats and deadlifts should be included, because from these comes the full-body core strength that puts some extra pop in your punches.

A full body routine will do you the most good: http://www.stronglifts.com is a good place to start.
                "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by newtoMA10 View Post
                  strength to increase KO power and was wondering was this an official
                  use of my time.

Speed mass and focus all you need for KO power. Muscle is only needed for mass. Work on explosion and enough said. Now go train.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega View Post
                    Speed mass and focus all you need for KO power. Muscle is only needed for mass. Work on explosion and enough said. Now go train.
                    Would you not agree that increased strength would also increase the qualities you mentioned? Without the necessity of increased mass?
                    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                    Spoiler:

Comment

I skipped the whole thread but... in my opinion.

a athletic person who is atleast slightly aggressive (most of them do have aggression due to hard training) will have a bigger chance against a average joe.

edit: Yes weight training is important but don't become a body builder

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshi View Post
                        I skipped the whole thread but... in my opinion.

a athletic person who is atleast slightly aggressive (most of them do have aggression due to hard training) will have a bigger chance against a average joe.

edit: Yes weight training is important but don't become a body builder
                        weight training != bodybuilding. This idea keeps a lot of people out of the gym.
                        It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
                        -AkidoMom

Comment

Here's a T-nation article you might find interesting;

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...s_of_movements

Among other worthwhile things, it contains the (poorly sourced) statement that the bench press doesn't correlate with punching power. Then again, as mentioned above, the bench press doesn't train all of the muscles you use to throw a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
                            Would you not agree that increased strength would also increase the qualities you mentioned? Without the necessity of increased mass?
                            Nope, not in the least. Not a troll job here either. The right type of "exercise" would do that; it isn't necessarily weight lifting- although weight lifting, which is the subject on the board, can be part of the solution, it isn't a necessary part. In other words you technically don't need "weight lifting" to get the same results.

Comment

True True. "Body building" sounds so slow though. I guess we have to remember why we do weights

Comment

Gynastica Natural / Plyometrics type training is what you need to develop KO power.

Explosiveness is where a KO comes from, not pushing power.
                                "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X