Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistic Pocket-Stick Concepts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Realistic Pocket-Stick Concepts

    Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the future of self-defense:



    http://www.pocket-stick.nl/en/welcom
    Welcome to the Realistic pocket-stick training website. This site is about training and proportional use of pocket-sticks. Pocket-stick is a general term for rod shaped hand weapons. The best known is the kubotan. The kubotan is an easy to learn self defence tool, and legal in most countries. Other pocket-sticks are: yawara, dulo dulo, self defence stick, fist loader, rod of pain and key chain stick.


    The Realistic Pocket-stick system is a complete self defence systems but can also be integrated into any other martial arts.
    The system is based on principles. The aim of the training is react instinctively to any situation.
    We mostly train with the kubotan but also with pens, mini maglites, forks and other alternatives.
    Do you also want to own a kubotan? Contact us for prices. Quantity discount applies.


    Instructors: http://www.pocket-stick.nl/en/instructors


    Makes me proud they are Dutch :icon_salu

    #2
    Not that the kuboton is a bad weapon or anything, but yeah, treating it as the end all of self defense is a bit silly.
    Originally posted by Devil
    That's the most Krav thing I've ever read. That's Kravver than a motherfucker...

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
      Not that the kuboton is a bad weapon or anything, but yeah, treating it as the end all of self defense is a bit silly.
      I'd have to disagree and say that the kuboton is a bad choice for a personal weapon.

      This issue has been discussed at length here already, of course I can't link the threads after doing a quick search. Previous discussion basically determined that a sturdy kuboton may be better than nothing. However, in the eyes of the law the kuboton is still a weapon. If you draw a weapon weather it be a gun, kuboton, or knife you must justify the use of a weapon. Which usually equates to proof that you were in fear of your life, in which case a gun is the best option to protect your life. This is just my quick summary of previous debates, take it for what you will.

      Personally I practice FMA mainly because I like it not because i'll actually ever have a stick when I need one. If I did need a stick i'd be better off with a gun. The only practicality I can see with a stick or kuboton is an improvised weapon scenario where you may find yourself unarmed, in which case situational awareness has already failed and you're fucked.

      Comment


        #4
        I think that its perfectly reasonable to defend your life with less than lethal force. Take a knife fight for instance. A blade or stick forces a stalemate, which is preferable to a lethal option in my opinion. I've only heard of one fight in my area with two armed parties where blood was drawn.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by JordanT View Post
          I think that its perfectly reasonable to defend your life with less than lethal force.
          Tell that to a jury when you get arrested for maiming someone for life.

          Originally posted by JordanT View Post
          Take a knife fight for instance. A blade or stick forces a stalemate, which is preferable to a lethal option in my opinion.
          I'm not even sure what you're saying here. Are you talking a weapons duel scenario, where someone tries to knife you and you pull your knife?In that case would a kuboton be better? What forces a stalemate? A stalemate can result in both parties dead!

          Originally posted by JordanT View Post
          I've only heard of one fight in my area with two armed parties where blood was drawn.
          Good thing you know about every fight and dispute in your area. I'm trading in my 45 for a kuboton!

          What was the point of your post again?

          Comment


            #6
            Slef Defense: It was posted here a while back that the best self defense was not to hang out with dumbass people. Don't socialize with people who drink excessively, use drugs, prostitutes etc. Solid advice.

            Whoever there also this:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcl9dTafJs4

            This looks like fun but I don't hang out with people who get this drunk:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdcyFajm44

            And running like hell, cuz no one's gonna fuck with you if you can back-flip off a wall:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTDfYlu2Fg

            True Story Bro: When I was young and street gangs where a problem. One of our neighbors was on the track team at the High School. One day he told us how he was targeted by some punks and he out ran them by jumping over fences like hurdles. He said he lost them pretty quickly, you know cuz the saggy pants :)

            Comment


              #7
              However, in the eyes of the law the kuboton is still a weapon.
              Just to drive this point home:

              http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...FmIMNOY6NbosCg

              Spiked Kubotan are now specifically listed as Offensive Weapons on the British Government's Crime Prevention site.[3] In April 2010 actor and entertainer, Darren Day, was found guilty of possessing an offensive weapon (a Kubotan) by a Scottish court in Edinburgh.[1]
              Dan Severn loves raping people.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jspeedy View Post
                I'd have to disagree and say that the kuboton is a bad choice for a personal weapon.

                This issue has been discussed at length here already, of course I can't link the threads after doing a quick search. Previous discussion basically determined that a sturdy kuboton may be better than nothing. However, in the eyes of the law the kuboton is still a weapon. If you draw a weapon weather it be a gun, kuboton, or knife you must justify the use of a weapon. Which usually equates to proof that you were in fear of your life, in which case a gun is the best option to protect your life. This is just my quick summary of previous debates, take it for what you will.

                Personally I practice FMA mainly because I like it not because i'll actually ever have a stick when I need one. If I did need a stick i'd be better off with a gun. The only practicality I can see with a stick or kuboton is an improvised weapon scenario where you may find yourself unarmed, in which case situational awareness has already failed and you're fucked.
                this. If you're going to carry a weapon, go for broke and carry a gun or a large knife if you cannot legally carry a gun. If the jury finds out you maimed someone with a ninja death stick you are going to be in trouble. Also, if you don't need to use deadly force, use your damn fists. Believe it or not you can do a lot of damage that you might not want to do with a kubaton.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I think if you're set on carrying a pocket stick for hurting people, you should get one that isn't a premade weapon- something like a sharpie, multitool, small flashlight etc, so that way you didn't draw your weapon- you had something in your hand. Also you can use it for whatever useful thing it can do (a kubaton can't really do anything else).

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by donoraen View Post
                    Also, if you don't need to use deadly force, use your damn fists. Believe it or not you can do a lot of damage that you might not want to do with a kubaton.
                    Marc MacYoung has a great piece of advice related to this on his knife fighting page. It goes something like, "Take your beating like a man."
                    It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
                    -AkidoMom

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Good points on the legal consequences of using a weapon. Also, I find it silly to base an entire self defense course on the use of a single weapon. You wont be carrying a kubotan everywhere. Certainly not to places where they search people for weapons (festivals, large clubs, soccer matches etc.).

                      I think they got a bunch of kubotans at a discount and decided to make a profit by marketing it as an ultimate self defense tool.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I would prefer a knife over a stick anytime.
                        Then again I know how to use one.

                        The stick is nothing new, in the dutch JJJ 'bible' it is called an EBO-stick.
                        I can see it work when you ram it in someones eyesocket, but that crap you see in the first video wouldnt work on anyone who has chestmuscles.
                        The thing where you jam your fingers just above the collarbone does not always work, it doesnt work on me, it takes about 10 seconds for the pain to kick in.

                        What you may want is one of those short triangular knifes, the shorter they are the less chance you mortally wound a guy, and besides, the main veins are pretty accesable anyways if you know where to slide your blade in.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Where the hell do you guys hang out? D Block? Geez...

                          I thought I lived in a bad area... However, the only time I "need" to carry anything would be my mag light when I'm taking my dogs for a walk at night. It's so I can see where they crapped and use the hand baggies to pick up the poop so I don't accedentaly step in it the next day.

                          Btw, I do live in a neighborhood with gangs. We border Oxnard, CA. Violence is pretty common.. but it's usually blocks away so we don't feel that unsafe. I find that it's just better to "be cool", mind my business, and just walk my dogs. Homies leave me alone, they prefer to pick on the softer kind.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I have used my Kubotan while working security at a nightclub, mine is very blunt so there is no chance of penetrating the skin. I wouldn't say its the best self defence weapon there is but it works well for pain compliance.
                            Last edited by Like_A_Boss; 2/08/2011 7:19am, .

                            Comment


                              #15
                              And don't forget you can opt for rape with a foreign object after you've administered some asskicking with it.
                              It's more difficult to rape someone with a handgun or a knife.
                              Not saying it's impossible, just more difficult.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X