X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Skeletor
    replied
    Originally posted by hadoken View Post
    Choke, featuring Rickson Gracie looks very interesting.
    I've watched that a bazillion times and it never gets old.

Leave a comment:

• driedblood
    replied
    Originally posted by Takeshi View Post
    I see what you mean! but camera angles and effects will fix that :D not to mention I seen the movie "Legendary" about wrestling and It's one of the best grappling movies I'v ever seen yet... that I remember right now.

I was hoping for there to be a epic high budget film about Judo or JJJ! Imagine a more ancient Japan. the hard wood floors of the DoJo. I would like to see a movie about how harsh it was back then- following a on going conflict with the main character being practically bad at it. who will get better and better at it. but his peers of the Dojo really don't like him. Almost a Karate Kid story. but Darker. it will be all over the top hard slams. along with the traditional styles of training. this will make alot of money. YES!

I should be a director....

Have you ever seen 'Throw Down' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415380/ It's from 2004. It's probably the only recent Judo movie I've seen as of late. The story is kind of meh, but it has decent movie judo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tTOrY0vWc

Leave a comment:

• The Fake Macoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Takeshi View Post
    I just got a idea. If it will be a finish it will have to be a fast one I suppose. Have you seen the Jet Li movie..the scene where he jumps in the air and kicks the guys leg then all of a sudden it goes x-ray vision and we see his bones break. That should be pretty nice. Look what they do in Steven Segal movies.. beating everyones ass by throwing them around with epic wrist locks.
    Really, the X-ray scenes go back to the classic Sonny Chiba film "The Street Fighter," which was also the first film to get an X-rating for violence. It stars Chiba as Terry Tsurugi. That film is awesome because it has perhaps the greatest opening to any film ever made, where:
    Spoiler:
    Tsurugi breaks a guy out of prison. However, the prisoner's brother and sister, who hired Tsurugi, aren't able to pay him for this. In response, Tsurugi kills the brother and sells the sister into prostitution. Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

Leave a comment:

• Takeshi
    replied
    Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Well yeah, the Bourne scene I linked to had a very eventful action scene resulting in a choke, but in those circumstances its the previous action that carries the suspense not the finish.

Submission finishes are largely uneventful and anti-climactic in comparison to KOs, largely because the finish is slower and less definitive (unless they actually break the limb). I'm hoping someone can make this work in an MMA movie setting. I love choking in RL, I just find it hard to imagine how the tenacity, strength and tactics of fighting for a choke will be portrayed on screen in a way that does it justice.
    I just got a idea. If it will be a finish it will have to be a fast one I suppose. Have you seen the Jet Li movie..the scene where he jumps in the air and kicks the guys leg then all of a sudden it goes x-ray vision and we see his bones break. That should be pretty nice. Look what they do in Steven Segal movies.. beating everyones ass by throwing them around with epic wrist locks.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    I saw "I am Legend" on his bio when I started frantically Googling today. Sweet, that's a pretty good read, makes me hopeful for the conclusion of "Steel." All this time, I had assumed either I'd never find the story, or it would be like the time I guy tried to tell the joke about the three Priests trying to buy bus tickets, and forgot the punchline. I finally tracked down the joke, and it sucked.

Movie looks to be a rather dramatic departure from the source at first glance.

Leave a comment:

• Mo_Fo
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    THANK. FUCKING GOD.

I read half of that story in an Asimov compilation, got to the bit where the fight starts, period ended, somebody else grabbed the book and never returned it. Had no idea what the title/author was.
    Yup, Richard Matheson is awesome. I loved the book "I am Legend" and the movie came out pretty decent as well. His stories translate to the screen very well (in fact Steven Spielbergs very first movie (a TV movie) was an adaption of his story "Duel" and it did so well it pretty much launched Spielbergs career).

I read this book ages ago as well. I'm pretty stoked when I heard they were working on this one.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Originally posted by Mo_Fo View Post
    Well, it looks like the next big budget "fight movie" to be released will be boxing.
    Boxing machines to be specific. Real Steel, starring Wolverine. Apparently Hugh has been training with Sugar Ray Leonard for the past year or so to get into "fight shape".

THANK. FUCKING GOD.

From Wiki:
    Real Steel is an upcoming sci-fi action drama film inspired by Richard Matheson's short story "Steel". The story was first adapted for television by Matheson as an episode of The Twilight Zone. The film stars Hugh Jackman, is directed by Shawn Levy and produced by Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis.
    Hugh Jackman plays Charlie Kenton, a washed-up fighter who lost his chance at a title when 2000-pound, 8-foot-tall steel robots took over the ring. Now nothing but a small-time promoter, Charlie earns just enough money piecing together low-end bots from scrap metal to get from one underground boxing venue to the next. When Charlie hits rock bottom, he reluctantly teams up with his estranged son Max (Dakota Goyo) to build and train a championship contender. As the stakes in the brutal, no-holds-barred arena are raised, Charlie and Max, against all odds, get one last shot at a comeback.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Steel
    THANK. FUCKING GOD.

I read half of that story in an Asimov compilation, got to the bit where the fight starts, period ended, somebody else grabbed the book and never returned it. Had no idea what the title/author was.

Leave a comment:

• Gidi
    replied
    I love grappling, but Visionquest wasn't very good. Sorry.
    Redbelt was shit, really bad, especially considering how much potential it had (we've discussed this in the past already).

But let's be honest, the best story for Hollywood is obviously Randy Couture's, come on. Guy fails at qualifying to the Olympics, joins the UFC on a lark, ends up the ultimate underdog who keeps winning the belt. That's a Movie right there.

Leave a comment:

• Soldiermedic
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    You mean like Lowden Swain in Visionquest?
    There is actually a Vision Quest remake in the works....

Only its starring Tyler Lautner

Leave a comment:

• MMAMickey
    replied
    Originally posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    So they can play up the whole Jason Delucia training with the Gracies for a month thing and have Royce actually break his arm in the tournament (which there's a lot of confusion about anyways). He can also do a bunch of cool movie kung fu stuff before getting taken down by Royce, lol.
    Well yeah, If the fight is actually 'mixed' in the sense that it's choreographed to be up and down or a standup beatdown followed by a takedown comeback, I could see how there would be extra screen value.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
    On the subject of grappling being unspectacular, do you guys actually think there could be a way that they could build suspense for a finish, like in a boxing movie, on something like an armbar that would appeal to a wide audience?

Somehow I just don't see it having the same effect as the tunnel-vision and dulled noise of a rocky fight just as he's about to go down... and then watching his impossible comeback.
    You mean like Lowden Swain in Visionquest?

Leave a comment:

• Vince Tortelli
    replied
    Originally posted by Sirc View Post
    No The Eliminator is a shitty movie. Who cares who's in it.
    No, Never Surrender, Death Warrior, and Unrivaled are terrible MMA movies. Until you've watched those, you really don't have a handle on just how much this hobby of ours can stink up the silver screen.

Leave a comment:

• King Sleepless
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    But the script seems to have been written on the back of a napkin, and then lost on the 3rd day of shooting...according to the DVD commentary this is because they completely ran out of money about halfway through filming, they just did the final fight and then threw togather a story out of what they'd already shot.

After all is said and done, the best MMA movie is STILL the Eliminator.
    No The Eliminator is a shitty movie. Who cares who's in it.

Leave a comment:

• Naszir
    replied
    If you want an underdog for a movie I can think of two. The problem is, they aren't American. Yuki Nakai and Fedor would be great subjects for a movie. However, the blinding of Nakai would be pretty unsettling. The Fedor story would be about a poor kid who grew up to become one of the most feared fighters in the world. Just think of the Randleman scene. It's like Rocky beating Drago...except with the nationalities reversed.

Leave a comment:

• Vince Tortelli
    replied
    Originally posted by Sirc View Post
    Flash Point has amazing choreography.
    But the script seems to have been written on the back of a napkin, and then lost on the 3rd day of shooting...according to the DVD commentary this is because they completely ran out of money about halfway through filming, they just did the final fight and then threw togather a story out of what they'd already shot.

After all is said and done, the best MMA movie is STILL the Eliminator.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X