No announcement yet.

Serious MMA movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought we already had Bloodsport and The Quest, lol.

Capoeira wins again. Until it loses...then you get your back broken.

Comment

Originally posted by wizwar31 View Post
      another vote for redbelt. Thought it was pretty awesome. Another donnie yen film that has MMA style fighting is Flash Point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Point_%28film%29

Edit:
      Yeah, i agree with vince on the note that its nonsensical and the characters make some random and stupid decisions but its still fun to watch.
      Flashpoint has the best MMA style fight scenes in movie history, but it's still a ridiculous and altogether disappointing movie.

Comment

What were there like 7 "Rocky" movies ? You couldn't make a serious MMA film that wasn't just another "Rocky" sequel called something else. That "Never Back Down" movie was just a "Karate Kid" remake with MMA substituted for krotty. If it were up to me I'd do a mockumentary ala "Spinal Tap" about the early style vs style days of the UFC. Goof on everybody : the Gracie family, the mcdodjo TMA guys that drank their own kool aid, the bloodthirsty fans, the out and out low life thugs like Tank Abbott and the laughably clueless announcers. Really drive home the point of what MA's actually work and why. Something that's funny for the casual fan of comedic violence but also that something that WE as Bullies can be proud of. Cast a few modern day fighters whenever you can especially for the actual fight parts. Dana shouldn't get too upset since he can say that this hot mess was all before his time there. I think there is one thing we could all get behind is to finally retire the old movie trope of "all cage fighting is held illegally in basements and parking garages usually to the death"

Comment

Umm, I actually tried to break that up into 3 different paragraphs but I guess that's one more "bug" to be worked out, huh ?

Comment

I read an article on Sherdog that said the 2000's is the only era in MMA history that produced any interesting storylines. I disagree, and I think that a movie about the early days of the UFC could be very good. I believe the time peroid harkens back to the old days of boxing, when promoters wore linen suits and fedoras and fighters were treated like dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Apple View Post
              What were there like 7 "Rocky" movies ? You couldn't make a serious MMA film that wasn't just another "Rocky" sequel called something else. That "Never Back Down" movie was just a "Karate Kid" remake with MMA substituted for krotty. If it were up to me I'd do a mockumentary ala "Spinal Tap" about the early style vs style days of the UFC. Goof on everybody : the Gracie family, the mcdodjo TMA guys that drank their own kool aid, the bloodthirsty fans, the out and out low life thugs like Tank Abbott and the laughably clueless announcers. Really drive home the point of what MA's actually work and why. Something that's funny for the casual fan of comedic violence but also that something that WE as Bullies can be proud of. Cast a few modern day fighters whenever you can especially for the actual fight parts. Dana shouldn't get too upset since he can say that this hot mess was all before his time there. I think there is one thing we could all get behind is to finally retire the old movie trope of "all cage fighting is held illegally in basements and parking garages usually to the death"
              the

enter

key

seems to be working fine for me, how were you putting it in paragraphs?

anyhow, this would be a documentary i could get behind. not even a mockumentary, just a comedic real one, like the King of Kong or other silly subject documentaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
                anyhow, this would be a documentary i could get behind. not even a mockumentary, just a comedic real one, like the King of Kong or other silly subject documentaries.
                The commentary alone in those first couple UFCs were pure comedy gold.

Comment

I'd like to see a "Best of the Best" style MMA movie, perhaps with an American team going to Japan to do a PRIDE style team challenge. (Like Team Gracie vs Team Japan in Bushido 1.)

That or a "Raging Bull" deal set in urban Brazil.

Comment

I think that as long as MMA is still considered a new, hip thing, it's doomed to mediocre movies that are more about showcasing a new, hip thing than making a good movie. That's what I got out of Never Back Down, anyway- it was like the Fast and the Furious movies: showing new cars, slutty young women who throw themselves at guys in-the-know, the popular party/club scene, new hip hop and electronic music, using the lingo (Triangle choke brah!) etc. That is, unless they don't make it the focal point of the movie, which is how they've made good films about boxing (and The Wrestler was also good). The original Rocky wasn't about flash and techno music and shirtless teenagers, and really there wasn't even that much boxing in it, and it was so much better than Never Back Down.

It also doesn't help that MMA fighters are going the way of washed up pro wrestlers and are starring in low budget action movies:

Comment

I thought Never Back Down was motivational. @op, I would love for there to be a Royce Gracie movie. I can see it right now! Having them training Jiu Jitsu in the background. conflicts in their dangerous neighberhood. a short conflict between the brothers! jiu jitsu origining from Japan. seeing Royce as a baby. then like... 10 years later boom! The climax would be interesting though since Royce kinda went undefeated for a while.... OMG that will be epic.

Comment

Did anyone see "Supreme Champion"?

I remember seeing this trailer but I didn't hear anything else after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaaO9wvwLOM

It looks pretty awful

Comment

Yeah I do believe Royce Gracie is by far the most applicable person to make an epic MMA movie about. I think if done right it could really change the way people view MMA. I mean, I didn't even know what MMA or the UFC were until about 5 or 6 years ago, and the reason I first got interested in it was because I found out the original UFCs were style vs style tournaments almost exactly like Bloodsport in real life. I think it could change a lot of other people's perceptions of it as well.

The only fear I have is that Rorion and/or Royce will be wanting to get involved and have control over it, which I would think could prove to be disastrous.

Comment

A big problem is that grappling is very unspectacular to watch. Unless you have good knowledge of what is going on you're gonna be pretty bored.. and even amongst guys who do grapple, would you honestly want to watch a dramatisation of an MMA snoozefest like Koscheck/Daley?

Boxing, although probably less exciting now in reality, has the potential to be incredibly exciting to the masses when a character story such as Rocky is involved. Even with comedy fighting and KO punches that visibly missed by a mile, there's just something about two men smashing it out that stands head and shoulders above two men humping in terms of movie gold.

..But then again I'm pretty sure Brokeback mountain set some box office records, so I could be wrong.

Comment

i honestly don't believe it's the style of combat that determines the entertainment, it's the investment of the audience. with the exception of SPL, we haven't really seen a really well written and performed MMA movie (and SPL only barely qualifies). We'll see how Matt Hamill's bio-pic turns out, since that's probably the most likely contender as an MMA sport film with a solid story.

Comment

I don't think the complexities of grappling would hurt a movie about Royce Gracie.
                                In fighter they dumbed down the art of boxing so the layman could understand what was going on, why couldn't this be done with grappling? (referring to the head body head scene, and some scenes referring to body shots being useful) Couldn't a gracie movie have something similar to that?

Not to mention, how much karate did you need to know to understand the karate kid? None, in fact it was probably better if you didn't know any because their karate was actually pretty terrible.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X