Serious MMA movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious MMA movie

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find via the search function any actual threads specifically regarding this subject. So anyways, here goes:

So when the movie "The Fighter" came out, my first reaction was "wtf?" Why are we still seeing Boxing movies coming out on the big screen and starring big actors like Christian Bale while the closest thing to a real movie about MMA that's come out so far has been "Never Back Down"?!?.

Really, when are we going to see an actual, serious MMA movie that really captures MMA in all of it's glory? I would think there would be more than enough fans who would go to see something like that by now.

So, do you guys feel the same way? What would be a likely plot? I would think the most obvious one would be about Royce Gracie and the beginning of the UFC (so long as the Gracie family has little-to-nothing to do with it).

I also believe that a big budget movie like that, if done properly and if it made the early UFC to look somewhat like Bloodsport on steroids, it could do a lot for the way most people view the relationship between traditional martial arts and MMA today.

Probably because 1. Boxing has a much richer and long standing history allowing for more interesting character stories to come out such as Micky Ward, some 200 years compared to modern MMA. 2. Because Boxing still has a much more positive public image due to its long standing history and how it dominated American sports culture pretty much up to the 70's.

MMA is still a very new thing to the public eye and still holds some of its niche character. Its growing popularity has drawn itself into the movie making scene but unfortunately until it gets more public respect your going to have to suffer through a few more renditions of Never Back Down's quality.

Comment

I'm liking the idea of something about Royce Gracie, very underdog, isn't it?

Comment

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110

There haven't been many good ones, that's for sure. Most of the earnest efforts at making a dramatic MMA film have been awful, but there are some good ones. If you're interested in a sports film like The Fighter, MMA is just too young to be able to be taken that seriously as a sports genre movie. That said, two good dramatic flicks with MMA in them include

Fighting, starring Channing Tatum
        SPL, starring Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung

I think you'd have better luck picking up a documentary, in which case I recommend

Choke, featuring Rickson Gracie
        Driven, featuring Jens Pulver

Comment

Blood and bone is a really good film, but by far the best is Redbelt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346631/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1012804/

Comment

blood and bone is one of those earnest but disappointing films trying to be serious about MMA.

i wouldn't recommend redbelt to everyone, it's a little confusing and not everyone can handle Mamet's writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
              blood and bone is one of those earnest but disappointing films trying to be serious about MMA.

i wouldn't recommend redbelt to everyone, it's a little confusing and not everyone can handle Mamet's writing.
              True I had to watch Redbelt twice

Comment

Choke, featuring Rickson Gracie looks very interesting.

Comment

Yeah I don't know how I haven't seen Choke or Redbelt yet, have to see those soon.

Yes I would like to see an epic MMA movie like The Fighter. It's been about 20 years and I think if they focused a lot on the whole style vs style thing with Royce Gracie and the early UFCs (you know, give the actors who play the other fighters more interesting looking, flashy TMA uniforms and make the early UFCs look dark and mysterious like the Kumite), it could be pretty popular since it's also a true story.

Comment

The fact that no one has mentioned The Smashing Machine makes me and Mark Kerr very sad.

Redbelt? Seriously? The only reasonable explanation I have for the plot of that movie is that Mamet got togather with Rorion Gracie right after the later lost his lawsuit to trademark the name "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" (and also "guard", "armbar" and "my fren") and Randy Couture as he was in the middle of his legal death duel with Zuffa, they smoked Eddie Bravo's entire supply of maryjajuana, and when they came to in the morning they had the script.

Comment

I liked Redbelt. Yes it could've been much better but it still was a good movie. Plus it was the inspiration for one of my fav T&S songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3qm0hg41XU

Comment

We may have to invoke Swayze's Law on this discussion
                        (Swayze's Law: Opinons Vary).
                        The plot required a heavy dose of...what's the opposite of deus ex machina? Diablus ex machina, plus people making some really stupid decisions, to funciton.
                        Spoiler for those who haven't seen the film, highlight to read:

Implicate sensei in crimminal activity vs. kill myself and leave my sick wife all alone in the world? Obviously I should die for my BJJ gym!

Comment

Hmmm.. the documentary "Legacy" of Renzo Gracie isn't bad. I mean, to somebody who doens't grapple it would be pretty boring, but I enjoyed it. That and my Professor is in the movie. It slowed down in some parts, but overall it was enjoyable. I loved the line ""What the fuck is wrong with you?! There's no place on earth I'd rather be!!" when the other competitors were talking about having to do their bouts and what they would rather be doing.

Comment

another vote for redbelt. Thought it was pretty awesome. Another donnie yen film that has MMA style fighting is Flash Point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Point_%28film%29

Edit:
                            Yeah, i agree with vince on the note that its nonsensical and the characters make some random and stupid decisions but its still fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by callum828 View Post
                              I'm liking the idea of something about Royce Gracie, very underdog, isn't it?
                              Nothing says "underdog" like having all of your opponents selected by your older brother.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X