Martial Greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial Greats

Supposing a thousand years from now someone writes a book* about the history of martial arts, who would be the noteworthy figures?

Pankration's techniques can't be assigned any authorship, their inventors being lost to time. Same with things like sword fighting techniques. No one knows, it's like who invented mashed potatoes?

I figure Kano Jigoro would be in there, and members of the Gracie family. Perhaps David Belle--though of course parkour isn't a fighting art in and of itself.

Of course there will be more figures in the future, we don't yet have cyborg martial arts. :)

*Or whatever people are using then, virtual reality, holographic movies . . .
    Last edited by Johnny Y.; 2/05/2011 8:15pm, .

Helio Gracie
    General Choi Hong Hi
    Mas Oyama
    Jigoro Kano
    Bruce Lee

Just to name the obvious ones. Now to name the best practitioners, that would be a little harder.

Comment

instead of going for famous i think Choson ninja will get a mention as the biggest fraud
      along with george dillman and others

Comment

I'll go with Ueshiba for most influential wacko.

Comment

Why Steven Seagal of course.
          sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
          "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Bruce Lee's zombie.

Comment

I hope that by some freakish twist of faith internet archeologists (that will exist by then) find my posts on here and mistake me for the real gene lebell and my spirit lives on forever.

Comment

Yip man

Comment

Danna White for turning the UFC from a niche activity into a global brand.
                  sigpic

Comment

Seagal of course! First western aikido master, movie superstar, unbeatable supercop, and now trainer to the worlds most dominant MMA fighter. Silva's lucky to have him as a trainer rather than an opponent! I also heard Seagal choked out Gene LeBelle and made him soil his Gi on a movie set? So cool!

Comment

If Bruce Lee gets in there then the author isn't doing his job properly.

But +1 for Kano.

Comment

Frankly if you don't have a small statue of Kano on your car dashboard like an Indian taxi driver in an Bruce Willis film then you aren't really a proper human being. Having a weird mat of lumpy wooden beads draped over you seat is optional though.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                          Frankly if you don't have a small statue of Kano on your car dashboard like an Indian taxi driver in an Bruce Willis film then you aren't really a proper human being. Having a weird mat of lumpy wooden beads draped over you seat is optional though.
                          So, if you have a crash and he ends up sticking out of your eye socket...?

Is that ippon?

Edit: as to the subject of the thread - I reckon that those who will be remembered by history will be those whose followers have the biggest mouths. Whether they were good or not is a secondary issue...
                          Last edited by Larus marinus; 2/06/2011 9:16am, .

Comment

Glacier.

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                              Glacier.

Very disappointed that he didn't finish that up with ripping his opponent's spine out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X