Goddamn BJJ Belt Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddamn BJJ Belt Factory

So this new BJJ 'Black Belt' moved into our area. I use quotes because this guy is laughable. He's a 300+ pound tub of lard. He boasts about all his bronze and silver medals he 'won' yet the only tournament records I can find is of him losing 2 & 3 man brackets in Super Heavyweight Masters divisions.

Now this fatass (who just was given a BB a couple months ago) is ALREADY claiming the title of Professor and handing out black belts. I know of a guy who's already a blue belt less than 5 months into his training.

Five months??

When did BJJ become karate? I thought we had some standards.

It's just embarrassing. His school has no effect on my school or another cross-town gym because we both offer serious training that the casual 'I wanna trane UFC' guy won't want to commit to.

So in that sense, yeah, maybe his fat ass is filling a void. But goddammit, does he REALLY need to be handing out belts like that?

Despite our heated rivalry, I'm considering joining forces with the other cross town school and dojo storming this fucker.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by C0WB0Y View Post
    So this new BJJ 'Black Belt' moved into our area. I use quotes because this guy is laughable. He's a 300+ pound tub of lard.
    Make sure it isn't Roy Nelson and go for it.

Comment

Hahaha...

Comment

Don your hachimaki and storm that dojo.
        sigpic

Comment

I know of legit black belts who use mcdojo business models by adding extra belts and payment for stripes/belts. While it's not "unethical" per say it does however raise eyebrows. I'd say ignore them, students will figure out (if they compete) that what they're receiving isn't quite the same in overall value, even if they're getting the same techniques and training environments (which isn't likely).

But for comedy sake, host a competition ask if he'd or one of his students would like to participate in a superfight. Video tape the ensuing embarrassment.

Comment

It's possible for someone to be a legit blue belt after 5 months... if they train very hard, have experience in grappling, etc... so I wouldn't say the promotion is BS just because it was fast. In any case it's just a blue belt it's not that big a deal.

Calling yourself "professor" after getting the black is fine. Traditionally any blackbelt who teaches can use that term. Most people go by their first name and eschew the titles, but if you've gone to black and teach the art than you've earned the title... so not a big deal.

Getting your own black and promptly handing out blacks like candy, if that's true, sounds gey. If his black is legitimate I wonder what the guy who promoted him would think of that.

Comment

Maybe if you post a name and school we can do a real investigation. Rather than insulting his weight and calling him out. Why not start a civil thread in MABS stating the Instructor and School and what about his background you find questionable and we can start from there.

Comment

I went to a throwdown once and the instructor was this HUGE dude that started every match laid out on the ground as if watching TV. How he got from that position to my back every time we rolled I'll never know, but I learned that larger BJJers are every bit as dangerous. A five month blue isn't absurd either. I've seen it done faster. A blue belt just means that you can play the game, not that you're good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanT View Post
                  I went to a throwdown once and the instructor was this HUGE dude that started every match laid out on the ground as if watching TV. How he got from that position to my back every time we rolled I'll never know, but I learned that larger BJJers are every bit as dangerous. A five month blue isn't absurd either. I've seen it done faster. A blue belt just means that you can play the game, not that you're good at it.

I like your definition of a Blue Belt, Jordan. Now I can feel good about wearing a blue belt and sucking ass on the mat.

Edit: That new version (compressed?) of you hanging from that rope is a little creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by kayman101 View Post
                    I like your definition of a Blue Belt, Jordan. Now I can feel good about wearing a blue belt and sucking ass on the mat.
                    Lol lets form a supports group "brotherhood of dogshit bluebelts"

Comment

Team up with your cross town rival to host a local tournament. Invite the subject of thread's students to "friendly local tournament" in a very public manner. Make it hard for him to refuse.

Gauge results to learn if this guy has any merit as a teacher.
                      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma View Post
                        Maybe if you post a name and school we can do a real investigation. Rather than insulting his weight and calling him out. Why not start a civil thread in MABS stating the Instructor and School and what about his background you find questionable and we can start from there.
                        There is nothing to investigate. He is a 'legitimate' Black Belt. His rank is properly registered. I just take issue with him getting rank so easily and handing it out so easily in turn.

I'm a properly ranked BJJ Purple Belt, however I've been offered a brown belt in this system that Professor Fatass uses, which I refused because I know I cannot defend a real brown belt with my current skill level.

Comment

There is nothing to investigate. He is a 'legitimate' Black Belt. His rank is properly registered. I just take issue with him getting rank so easily and handing it out so easily in turn.

I'm a properly ranked BJJ Purple Belt, however I've been offered a brown belt in this system that Professor Fatass uses, which I refused because I know I cannot defend a real brown belt with my current skill level.
                          Originally posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post

But for comedy sake, host a competition ask if he'd or one of his students would like to participate in a superfight. Video tape the ensuing embarrassment.
                          Then I say do the above, I'd love to see this as well.

Comment

I don't totally follow your meaning here. By being "offered a brown belt in this system that Professor Fatass uses," do you mean that "Professor Fatass" offered it to you himself? Did you train with him for a while, or did he just offer to award you a brown belt after seeing you compete?

Comment

How did his belt come easy?

"I'm a properly ranked BJJ Purple Belt, however I've been offered a brown belt in this system that Professor Fatass uses, which I refused because I know I cannot defend a real brown belt with my current skill level."

If the promotion is legit, take it. It doesn't mean you're a badass. It means its time to hit that level. So do so.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X