Tough skin = more efficient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough skin = more efficient?

When I began training, I quickly realized that I cut and bruise and get cauliflower easier than others.
    During a week of hard training, Its common for me to have small bruises on my shins, arms and face when others who are training with me do not have this.

Because MMA and boxing matches can be stopped due to cuts, a person of tougher skin would have an advantage-in the cut-stoppage respect.

I understand that only a small amount of fights are stopped due to cuts, but the countless bruises and evergrowing cualiflower ears raises my frustration and concern. My Instructor grapples and trains more than I do. Though he may injur a bone/ muscle, I hardly ever see a bruise and his ears don't puff.

1) Does tougher skin make one a more efficient fighter?
    2) where can I get some?

Stick around here, for this thread, and your skin should get plenty thick.
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Comment

Your deity of choice is clearly telling you to stop training and get a job as a housemaid and to leave the fighting to the men.

Are you still just training BJJ?

If you're concerned with your ears, wear some head protection. I'm not sure how the fuck your face and shins are getting bruised doing BJJ but you grapplers do some weird shit so maybe someone who actually does that can help you out.

To answer your questions, I think the ability to avoid getting punched should be more of concern to a boxer then how tough his skin is. Everyone gets bruised, it's part of the game.
      "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Comment

Isn't Fedor like notoriously thin-skinned? (actual skin, not he's demeanour, which is obviously stoic as a sedated block of ice).
        If he is, he's managed to have a fairly good career albeit that terrible ailment.

Comment

Been training BJJ only. I wear ear protection when my ears start bruising.

I'm a smaller guy, (145lbs) and find myself on bottom most of the time. been doing a lot of butterfly, deep half, and spiderguard but I don't find that it makes the grappling any rougher on my body.

In the past two weeks I've gotten cauliflower, a busted lip, and a mouse under my eye, along with bruises on my legs and arms. I don't really feel like I experience more pain than anyone else, it just shows on the skin more.

Comment

*checks that this is in YMAS*

YouTube - YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN
            "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
            "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
            "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
            "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

I don't know for how long you have been training, but eventually you will get used to it and your skin will thicken or react differently after a couple of years.

I have a very fragile skin as well (I manage to get bruises even on body parts protected by the armor when doing kendo...), and when I got back to judo a year ago you could tell from the marks on my body how many times I have been choked / arm-locked / thrown during practice. Almost not anymore after a year.

Your body can adapt to some degree to a lots of situation if it has to endure it on a regular basis. Just give it some time.

Comment

Originally posted by GIburner View Post
                Been training BJJ only. I wear ear protection when my ears start bruising.
                Isn't this kind of like wearing a bulletproof vest after you've been shot? Just wear the fucking thing all the time and be done with it.

I'm a smaller guy, (145lbs) and find myself on bottom most of the time. been doing a lot of butterfly, deep half, and spiderguard but I don't find that it makes the grappling any rougher on my body.
                I don't speak BJJ. Are you propositioning me?

In the past two weeks I've gotten cauliflower, a busted lip, and a mouse under my eye, along with bruises on my legs and arms. I don't really feel like I experience more pain than anyone else, it just shows on the skin more.
                If you're just doing BJJ, what the hell does it matter? Do they stop BJJ matches for bruising or anything like that? If not, stop worrying about it. I'm still not sure how these things are happening to you, are you sure you aren't getting mugged in your sleep?
                "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Comment

I don't believe you have "Thin skin" as a medical condition. I believe you are training wrong.

Stop spazzing, stop trying to out muscle bigger people, stop treating every match like it's life or death.
                  Get your training partners to do the same thing.
                  Your injury rate should go down. I weigh the same amount you do and I've trained with plenty of big, strong, intense people over the last 4 years and I've had cauliflower ear exactly twice and while I do pick up random bruises and bumps it's nothing that I would ever give a second thought to.
                  sigpic

Comment

Go to a doctor to make sure you don't have some serious skin-type problem. If the doctor says your ok then your probably just a pussy.

Good Luck.

Comment

Some of this can be due to medications you might be on or vitamin deficiencies. Certain types of steroid treatments such as are used in treating asthma cause you to bruise more easily.

It also comes down to some people just being a bit more densely built. In my family we tend to have thicker bones and skin that does not bruise easily. However we also have ligament laxity issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Kickapoo View Post
                        I don't speak BJJ. Are you propositioning me?
                        The techniques I'm using doesn't really put me in a position for injury more than others in BJJ.

Originally posted by Kickapoo View Post
                        If you're just doing BJJ, what the hell does it matter? Do they stop BJJ matches for bruising or anything like that? If not, stop worrying about it. I'm still not sure how these things are happening to you, are you sure you aren't getting mugged in your sleep?
                        My concern is more about staying pretty while I do BJJ, and wondering if it would cause an issue should I start training for MMA in the future.

Comment

My concern is more about staying pretty while I do BJJ, and wondering if it would cause an issue should I start training for MMA in the future.
                          I have highlighted the problem for you.

Comment

Staying pretty? Are you a fashion model?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
                              Staying pretty? Are you a fashion model?
                              I imagine OP as Derek Zoolander.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X