Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your MA and your workplace...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your MA and your workplace...

    Now before I begin I know a number of you on here are instructors, coaches, etc so I'm guessing that the MA you study/teach goes hand in hand with your workplace...

    That being said, do any of you find yourselves explaining bruises, black eyes, mat burns, etc to co-workers in a professional work arena?

    For me, I bruise like a peach. I work in the medical field and I'm always getting the raised eyebrow from my employees when I come in with a new battle scar. Most of the time basic clothing will cover it but not always.

    Anyone else get odd looks in your "normal" life or from peers because of the results of your training?

    Has anyone had issues with appearance/etc with where they work?

    Funny anecdotes? :icon_geek

    Worst one I have is while visiting a patient's home (known previous drug user) with one of my employees his wife touched my upper arm and said that my bruises looked just like the ones her husband used to get when he was using...great.

    #2

    The only really visable bruise I have received actually was from a work colleague
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

    Comment


      #3
      First rule.

      Comment


        #4
        Caught an elbow one time in the middle of a scramble. The next day one of the anchors says: "Someone kick your ass?"

        I mention the scramble. He understands. He wrestled back in school many years ago.

        Several people in the newsroom either trained or still do. Even more know I train, so there's no issue, especially since I'm not on camera.

        Side Note: Once on the subway in the summer, short sleeves, reading a book, headed to gym, got many looks from other riders like I was a heroin addict because of grip marks on my arms from the previous day's training.

        Comment


          #5
          A while back, I had to show up at work like this:

          Comment


            #6
            My job is blue collar so people are less uptight about that sort of thing. Whenever I show up with a limp though one of the bosses thinks he's hilarious for shouts "CIDERBONE GOT BEAT UP BY A GIRL!!!" every fucking time.

            Comment


              #7
              SECOND RULE, PEOPLE!!!
              jeez

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Ciderbone View Post
                My job is blue collar so people are less uptight about that sort of thing. Whenever I show up with a limp though one of the bosses thinks he's hilarious for shouts "CIDERBONE GOT BEAT UP BY A GIRL!!!" every fucking time.
                story of my life.

                i got accidentally "axe kicked" by a girl while i was trying to pass her guard... never heard the end of it at work.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by v1y View Post
                  story of my life.

                  i got accidentally "axe kicked" by a girl while i was trying to pass her guard... never heard the end of it at work.
                  You should have waited longer for the Rohypnol to take full effect.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The clothes i wear to work cover everything from neck down with the exception of my hands so there's never much visible skin to display most of my bruises. I've turned up at work with a limp on more than one occasion, had to miss a few days because of shoulder injury, a groin strain from a newbie trying a scissors takedown that he had seen one of the black belts doing and a haematoma.

                    My boss acts like a real ass about it, ppl have told me of comments that he's made to them about my MA training, but as long as he doesn't try to give me an ultimatum i'll keep doing what i'm doing.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      There are times when being self employed is advantageous.

                      The day after I get a busted lip for example.
                      "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln



                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Apollo1982 View Post
                        The clothes i wear to work cover everything from neck down with the exception of my hands so there's never much visible skin to display most of my bruises. I've turned up at work with a limp on more than one occasion, had to miss a few days because of shoulder injury, a groin strain from a newbie trying a scissors takedown that he had seen one of the black belts doing and a haematoma.

                        My boss acts like a real ass about it, ppl have told me of comments that he's made to them about my MA training, but as long as he doesn't try to give me an ultimatum i'll keep doing what i'm doing.
                        Have you checked out your HR policies about personal appearance?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I lost around 1 inch of skin near my ear and 1 inch on my chine once during rolling. I don't know how it happened. These wounds got infected so I had 2 big infected ugly yellow spots in my face. It looked like I had the fucking plague.

                          anyways.. I got a couple of weird looks but nobody said anything before my boss called and asked if I were alright. Somebody had talked to the boss because they feared I would infect them with the plague :D

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The only jobs I take atm (student) generally involve blue collar work so it's not a serious issue.. although much banter occurs if I walk in with a black eye.

                            I actually worry though wtf I'm going to do with myself if I become a barrister. I'll either have to get alot better at boxing, or get real good at applying makeup.
                            "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
                            Spoiler:

                            Comment


                              #15
                              My Chief put a MT heavybag and a Bubba II grappling dummy in the gym at my request so I have to say they are pretty supportive. The few times I have come in a little busted it barely raised an eyebrow from anyone.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X