Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BJJ Fail - New series of technique videos to help your game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    BJJ Fail - New series of technique videos to help your game

    VT-1 guys are the only people i ever seem to face in competition, and now they're threatening to dominate my intertubes?

    #2
    I see why they call it "fail".

    Comment


      #3
      Someone's gotta start releasing new stuff. Details on moves you already know are best felt and not seen IMO. I thought the kimura video was ok, but I wouldn't try that on the street in the first place.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JordanT View Post
        Someone's gotta start releasing new stuff. Details on moves you already know are best felt and not seen IMO. I thought the kimura video was ok, but I wouldn't try that on the street in the first place.
        why not?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by danno View Post
          why not?
          Because your head is out for his buddies to stomp on and you have no free hands to defend. Not to mention the lava.

          Comment


            #6
            On the street, you're looking at flurries of punches and big bombs. As soon as you grab his wrist and turn, which is a dangerous move in sport grappling as well, he's gonna drop that bomb with his other hand to the head which you clearly aren't defending. You can grit it out, but sometimes the shock of the hit fucks you up or the blow does damage. I'd look for hamstring sweeps with either double overs or unders to take punches out of the equation. Shin to bicep is also good to neutralize and provides opportunity to stand.

            Comment


              #7
              so you think it'd be a bad idea in MMA as well?

              i don't really agree. i don't pull of kimuras from the bottom terribly often, but it's not because i'm avoiding it for the reasons you describe, it's because i'm not very good at it.

              when i'm training MMA and someone is honestly trying to punch me in the face, i personally don't have much trouble moving my body to the side like that and avoiding punches. in fact, it can help avoid them and move to a sweep on that side.

              not that i think your under/overhook suggestion is a bad idea, that's pretty fundamental in fact.
              Last edited by danno; 1/05/2011 12:51am, .

              Comment


                #8
                for example:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Different games. In MMA its totally possible to get a guy thats stalling on top to rest, stalling for a stand up, pressuring down to restrict your movement, or doing a number of things that don't involve direct attack. See how the guy kinda just sat there and wasn't punching him in the face? Thats not the streets. Now, I'm not saying that BJJ is useless on the streets or anything, but that I favor ultraconservative jiujitsu in scenarios like that. My first move is always going to be to prevent the guy from harming me, which is kinda the point in a real fight. Neutralize first, then take him out. Why take a chance?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by JJC VT1
                    This is the first video in a series for the kimura. Check out some of the important details that well help you finish the submission.

                    Kimura Series
                    Why do you feel that bending the arm to less than 90 degrees (hand closer to the armpit) might lower the finish percentage of the Kimura?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by JordanT View Post
                      Different games. In MMA its totally possible to get a guy thats stalling on top to rest, stalling for a stand up, pressuring down to restrict your movement, or doing a number of things that don't involve direct attack. See how the guy kinda just sat there and wasn't punching him in the face? Thats not the streets. Now, I'm not saying that BJJ is useless on the streets or anything, but that I favor ultraconservative jiujitsu in scenarios like that. My first move is always going to be to prevent the guy from harming me, which is kinda the point in a real fight. Neutralize first, then take him out. Why take a chance?
                      if the guy on top was sitting up and punching, guy on bottom simply wouldn't go for that move.

                      seems like you're assuming this would be applied at the wrong time. if you can get their head down and move to the side like that, you're safe from punches and a couple of things are now available.

                      the reason his head is down is to maintain the top position. the guy on the bottom had obviously been attempting to escape in the moments before. if it was a street fight and the top guy had little experience in grappling, the bottom guy would probably have escaped by now.

                      i'm totally in favour of conservative techniques, but i think this is actually a relatively conservative technique. but like everything, it has to be done at the right time, in the right place, in the right way.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I just don't like the idea of taking two arms out of play and leaving them with one.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          i want to re-iterate that i agree about protecting yourself from strikes, headbutts and so on. not enough BJJ guys understand how to defend themselves from punches from their back. when i first started grappling on the ground with punches allowed, i certainly got hit a lot more than i should have.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Jordan, you bring up an interesting point. Do you abstain from all two on ones? Is this a preference specific to this technique or does it apply, for you, to grappling in general?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by JordanT View Post
                              I just don't like the idea of taking two arms out of play and leaving them with one.
                              If you're doing it right your positioning prevents you from getting hit, surely?

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X