BJJ Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Question

Hi guys I'm new here and came across this forum while trying to research some stuff on BJJ.

After reading countless forums and threads on BJJ it seems to me that lineage is very important to the BJJ player.

I intend to start BJJ soon and have looked into a few schools.

Anyways back to my original question.

I understand that Helio Gracie was taught JJ by a Japanese dude but some of the places I have read this information claim that he was only taught for around 2 yrs.

If this is in fact true then how the hell did he end up being such a high rank ? Who graded him ?

I ask this because there is a few schools I intend to try out and the instructors are all blue belts. This is all there is in the country which I will be training in. Its only a small Eastern European country.

These instructors both have Black Belt in Judo and a hand full of Judo wins between the both of them.

But they are only BJJ blue belts. And i want to learn BJJ and not Judo with them.

Is it OK that they are teaching BJJ being only Blue Belts? I rolled with one of them and he completely owned me tapping me out with some weird ass gi chokes from all kinds of positions. ( note : this is not hard as I have minimal grappling skills )

So is it normal to learn from BJJ blue belts and if I do grade with them will my rank be viewed as a shitty rank as I was only taught by a BJJ blue belt ?

I do not have the luxury of training with any black belts as none of them exisit where I am at.

Maeda taught Judo to the Gracies.

In any case, it sounds like you have plenty to learn from the guys available.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

If they're the only ones available, doesn't seem to me, like you have much choice.

Comment

You could do worse than getting your grappling basics from judo bb's with bjj blue belts. Generally a good blue belt should be enough for basics, but with the added grappling experience of a judo bb you should be in good hands.

Our gym doesn't have a single resident black belt and still we've managed to produce multiple European Champions in blue & purple belt divisions.
        Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Comment

You might wanna do some more research on the history of BJJ, at any rate, you certainly don't need to worry about Helio gracie's ranking.

BJJ black belts are basically the hardest to get of any style that uses the belt system. As such even the lower grades can be proficient teachers, especially if they have Judo BBs as well. If you're a beginner, you won't need to worry about training with a higher belt until you've got your blue yourself, which should take a few years.

Comment

BJJ Answer: Pull guard
            "Emevas,
            You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Update your profile so we know what crappy country you are talking about. If it has low taxes I might move there and open a BJJ school with my highest in country rank!

Rule of thumb for you: If someone is better than you at something you can probably learn something about that thing from them.

Double Edit:
              Why is it so fucking hard for people to be specific when they are trying to get answers?

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido Comrade. May I ask where exactly are you from?

Comment

Originally posted by komunista View Post
                  Hi guys I'm new here and came across this forum while trying to research some stuff on BJJ.

After reading countless forums and threads on BJJ it seems to me that lineage is very important to the BJJ player.

Anyways back to my original question.

I understand that Helio Gracie was taught JJ by a Japanese dude but some of the places I have read this information claim that he was only taught for around 2 yrs.

If this is in fact true then how the hell did he end up being such a high rank ? Who graded him ?

I ask this because there is a few schools I intend to try out and the instructors are all blue belts. This is all there is in the country which I will be training in. Its only a small Eastern European country.

These instructors both have Black Belt in Judo and a hand full of Judo wins between the both of them.

But they are only BJJ blue belts. And i want to learn BJJ and not Judo with them.

Is it OK that they are teaching BJJ being only Blue Belts? I rolled with one of them and he completely owned me tapping me out with some weird ass gi chokes from all kinds of positions. ( note : this is not hard as I have minimal grappling skills )

So is it normal to learn from BJJ blue belts and if I do grade with them will my rank be viewed as a shitty rank as I was only taught by a BJJ blue belt ?

I do not have the luxury of training with any black belts as none of them exisit where I am at.
                  The other issue is that you do not have anywhere else to go. A BJJ blue belt has a lot to teach you. Especially a BJJ blue belt with a Judo BB. Shut up and train. When and if you do move find a dojo with BJJ black. And then shut up and train

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark View Post
                    Double Edit:
                    Why is it so fucking hard for people to be specific when they are trying to get answers?
                    Because everyone wants maximal results with minimal effort.

The same reason the home fitness market allowed creations like the ab shocker and the shakeweight to exist.
                    "Emevas,

Comment

The same reason the home fitness market allowed creations like the ab shocker and the shakeweight to exist.
                      Shut up, you just can't handle the DYNAMIC INERTIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas View Post
                        Because everyone wants maximal results with minimal effort.

My girl just bought one of those yesterday. Was gonna call her a retard for getting it then she started using it in front of me. Gonna let her keep using it as it would prolly greaty improve her jerking me off skills.

Comment

Originally posted by komunista View Post

How bad do you want to learn BJJ?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dizzie56 View Post
                            my girl just bought one of those yesterday. Was gonna call her a retard for getting it then she started using it in front of me. Gonna let her keep using it as it would prolly greaty improve her jerking me off skills.
                            Oh man, I never thought of that!

You should write for SNL
                            "Emevas,

Comment

My (hot, female) boss walked into my office the other day using hers. I thought for sure I was in for a little sexual harassment. Alas, none was to be had...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X