Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebell View Post
    I'm not allowed into Canada.
    What, did you choke out Jean Cretien or something?

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
      I think this is the guy that sucker punched Geddy Lee at a pub in Quebec back in 01

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
        In soviet Canuckistan PM chokes you

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
          In soviet Canuckistan PM chokes you

You, sir, just made my fucking afternoon

Comment

Cretien was our Putin... His guidance is missed.

What that picture doesn't show...
            is where his other hand is.

Comment

This is a really intresting thread. To the OP I'm glad that boxing has opened a whole new world for you as it did for me also! As people have mentioned I reckon it's the best foundation MA you could become proficient in. A good coach will develop your footwork, proper punching technique(why do so many "fighters" make up their own minds of what a punch is)? and learn to generate efficient power from the ground up! Also, you learn quickly to take a few punches, and as a result your natural instinct is to guard when a real life situation comes to. As for the WC mob, I found the same thing during my 6 months attempt at it. The Sifu(though talented at his art) thought he was the king of the gypsies, and any question was answered along the lines of "thats just how you should do it". He clearly has never been in a fight outside of his classroom. All that fancy and fast chi sao stuff looks great close up, but when you're in the pub you usually find it's the first proper punch which decides how handsome you're going to be next day. I've yet to see a pure chunner in a fight with anyone, not get decked within the first ten seconds. In reference to Bruce Lee taking JKD from WC, as is often stated, if you read his writing he took the concepts of economy of motion etc. As for techniques, they were mostly taken and developed from Western arts, Fencing, Savate, Boxing etc. If WC was the way forward why would he have left in the first place? Good for less able people as a last resort maybe, or "fighting in an elevator" as I was sold on.

Stay safe all!
              JC

Comment

Originally posted by atomicpoet View Post
                I remember talking to my Wing Chun instructor when he told me, "Boxing would never work against Wing Chun. You should do simultaneous attack and defence at the same time -- not attack then defend."

Boy, was he wrong. Boxing does have a method for simultaneous attack and defence. It's called jabbing.
                Strange how you never see any professional boxer or MMA fighter attempt to throw two punches at once. Surely by the logic of WC this would be just as if not more effective than throwing one at a time. Fact is it's impossible to generate as much power throwing a simultaneous attack and defence....but then they would bring out the old chain punch concept I imagine, which I have actually witnessed a guy attempt against a bouncer.....if I remember he got tripped up and ended up licking the pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishsoldier View Post
                  This is a really intresting thread. To the OP I'm glad that boxing has opened a whole new world for you as it did for me also! As people have mentioned I reckon it's the best foundation MA you could become proficient in. A good coach will develop your footwork, proper punching technique(why do so many "fighters" make up their own minds of what a punch is)? and learn to generate efficient power from the ground up! Also, you learn quickly to take a few punches, and as a result your natural instinct is to guard when a real life situation comes to. As for the WC mob, I found the same thing during my 6 months attempt at it. The Sifu(though talented at his art) thought he was the king of the gypsies, and any question was answered along the lines of "thats just how you should do it". He clearly has never been in a fight outside of his classroom. All that fancy and fast chi sao stuff looks great close up, but when you're in the pub you usually find it's the first proper punch which decides how handsome you're going to be next day. I've yet to see a pure chunner in a fight with anyone, not get decked within the first ten seconds. In reference to Bruce Lee taking JKD from WC, as is often stated, if you read his writing he took the concepts of economy of motion etc. As for techniques, they were mostly taken and developed from Western arts, Fencing, Savate, Boxing etc. If WC was the way forward why would he have left in the first place? Good for less able people as a last resort maybe, or "fighting in an elevator" as I was sold on.

Stay safe all!
                  JC
                  Paragraphs noob!

Comment

Originally posted by Necroyunus View Post
                    Paragraphs noob!
                    Oops sorry! Where did you find such a flattering photo of my girlfriend from?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishsoldier View Post

Stay safe all!
                      JC
                      After I've got the fundamentals of boxing down, I hope to add some kicks as well. Haven't yet decided upon a complementary art, but I'm leaning towards either:
                      • American kickboxing
                      • Muay Thai
                      • Savate

I think each style has its benefits. With American kickboxing, I like the karate-style kicks. As far as Muay Thai is concerned, I like the option of adding knees and elbows -- and they got some amazing roundhouse kicks too. Savate is cool because you're trained to use shoes.

I've never figured out why Muay Thai allows knees and elbows but forbids shoes. Oh well, I guess that's just one of those things.

Comment

shoes hinder the flow of chi..
                        duhhhhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by atomicpoet View Post
                          After I've got the fundamentals of boxing down, I hope to add some kicks as well. Haven't yet decided upon a complementary art, but I'm leaning towards either:
                          • American kickboxing
                          • Muay Thai
                          • Savate
                          I think each style has its benefits. With American kickboxing, I like the karate-style kicks. As far as Muay Thai is concerned, I like the option of adding knees and elbows -- and they got some amazing roundhouse kicks too. Savate is cool because you're trained to use shoes.

I've never figured out why Muay Thai allows knees and elbows but forbids shoes. Oh well, I guess that's just one of those things.
                          I'm in the same boat mate. Having done some savate in the past when doing JKD I'm hoping to start MT and use that for my kicking range. The idea of not using the foot in MT I imagine is down to the fact its done barefoot traditionally and so kicking full force with the foot would damage the many bones there, where as a conditioned shin is a safer bet (for the person throwing it). I suppose it all boils down to what you are training for. Good luck in the training though I'd be intrested to hear how you get on mate whatever you choose.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by Lebell View Post
                            shoes hinder the flow of chi..
                            duhhhhhh...
                            Gotcha. Chi works exactly like electricity. The rubber soles of shoes inhibit the transfer.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X