No announcement yet.

"Disappointing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They decided to comeback and show the instructor up it seems to me. I've rolled with a brown belt...any instructory I've rolled with...brown and purples have let me work and not smashed me. The worse thing ever said to me was to work on my flexibility. A teacher doesn't do that. They are constructive. They were being jerks. You're a white belt and orange....you should have expected that 2 black belts would have been helpful

Comment

Originally posted by keke View Post
      You guys probably don't want to hear a sad sob story about grappling, but I'm in the throes of almost wanting to quit judo/bjj. Anyways, I've been doing judo for the last two years and BJJ for the last year. Only a orange belt and two striped white belt. Our club had changed and these two black belts left to join a different one, because our club got too "soft", the teachers started to emphasis more technique and less randori. I look up to these two guys, they're pretty skilled and out class me in technique and weight. They stopped in for tonight and I hadn't rolled with them two for probably about a couple of months. I thought, why not give it a go, I picked up a few things in BJJ (mind you we were doing ne waza). So I went with him, we bowed and he started to do the whole turtle thing for the noobies. I thought alright, hes done this before. I take his back and proceeded to try and choke him. Long story short I failed and pulled guard and played from there and then to half guard as he was trying to break it. I tried to play some half guard and take his back (I've been experimenting a bit with half guard and wanted to progress in it). I couldn't get the underhook and he arm locked me. That's all fine and dandy but he then says... "Ivan, you're a disappointment. That was disappointing." That pretty much felt like my whole grappling progress went straight down the drain. Normally, I don't care what other people even care to say about me, but these guys I kinda looked up to and wanted to emulate.

After that, the other black belt needed someone and so, hell I'll try to redeem myself. So he turtles up too. He let me try to choke him, I pretty much failed at it, there was no way my hand could reach deep into his collar. But what frustrated me was he started to look at his nails and pretended to look at a watch. I felt like they pretty much summed up my grappling experience - inadequate and almost regressing to a point. Anyways, just wanted to feel what you guys think, anyone had this experience? I mean they're cool, but I thought that was probably the most asshole thing they did.

Long story short, black belt called me a disappointment and I feel like I'm seriously lacking focus and progress. ( I feel like half of you are going to call me a pussy, especially Omega I JUST FEEL IT )

edit: tried to break it up, so it doesn't look like a huge fucking block of text
      Dude, believe me, I EXACTLY understand how you feel.

When I started jiu jitsu, it was more like me and my partner study some youtube videos and go to a judo gym and beg the instructor to give us some area on the mat so we can try those in the class.we did this around 1 month.
      Then I found these guys who train&teach bjj in my city.(the other gym was in the city my university at.i was there in the week, and in my city in the weekends)And I started to train with them too.

I was REALLY looking up to my teacher (which was a blue belt then-and a purple now-) cuz he was like a hero to me, considering how i "tried" to train before.

Funny, this guy was REALLY discouraging against me (i had similar&worse things happened to me, long story and funnily enough ,he ignores me now) and I had the EXACT feelings that you had.

My girlfriend back then told me that I should man up, go on training, dont care what he says and dont think so highly of him at all.
      I listened to her and now I'm also a purple (same rank as him) and I am so happy that I never quit this sport.

I suggest you the same. Never give up something so good for some dirt.

Comment

The only time a black belt ever used "judo" and "disappointing" with me in the same sentence was one of my black belt level tests in TKD when kwangjanim said it was disappointing that I used Judo as one of my self defence techniques. I than asked him if he thought the technique would be effective and he couldn't say no.

I agree with what judoka_uk said. If he feels that you were better prior and was disappointed, as dickish as it may have sounded, maybe it could be a good kick in the ass that you need to tighten up your game. Just keep playing and practising.

Comment

How old are you?

It takes a lot of maturity to not judge yourself by the perception of other but it is a truly rewarding point in your life when you can allow yourself to be judged by your own progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Vlad View Post
            I just avoid guys like him because I learn nothing from them and I don't like rolling with dickheads. I'm not a professional fighter, so besides a tough workout and bit of hard rolling I want to learn something and have fun for my money. Don't quit bjj/judo - just train harder and avoid rolling with idiots that have higher ranks.
            I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I like BJJ, I like the self-defense aspect and aliveness and it's a good workout, but I don't think I'll be a professional fighter, so I don't like people who smash the fuck out of me.

I've no problem with losing, it's part of learning BJJ. But losing *and* getting totally fucked up and possible injured (I've come close) is no fun and will make me avoid people. Which is a shame :new_puppy

Comment

Originally posted by Necroyunus View Post
              When I started jiu jitsu, it was more like me and my partner study some youtube videos and go to a judo gym and beg the instructor to give us some area on the mat so we can try those in the class.we did this around 1 month.
              So you were on the mat with a, presumably, competent grappling coach and instead of training and learning from him as part of his class you were fucking about with a mate, in the corner, doing stuff you'd seen on youtube???

You could have spent that month learning Judo and actually gaining some skills and a bit of experience before starting BJJ. Instead you chose to practice youtube taught techniques, with no competent oversight and with another noob? In other words doing the techniques badly and creating bad habits.

Why? I'm really rather confused by this, was it just because it was Judo and not BJJ or ...?

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                So you were on the mat with a, presumably, competent grappling coach and instead of training and learning from him as part of his class you were fucking about with a mate, in the corner, doing stuff you'd seen on youtube???

You could have spent that month learning Judo and actually gaining some skills and a bit of experience before starting BJJ. Instead you chose to practice youtube taught techniques, with no competent oversight and with another noob? In other words doing the techniques badly and creating bad habits.

Why? I'm really rather confused by this, was it just because it was Judo and not BJJ or ...?
                the funny thing is what you are talking and being a dick about right now is about a time where i JUST thought grappling is shit and you can kick any grappler in the face if they try to take you down etc.
                And I just found out THIS MAGICAL SHIT that is AWESOME and is BETTER than any other art.:ninja2:(everybody was a noob once)

I didn't know any SHIT about grappling, I didn't know what judo really was etc.

If you'd ask me now though, hell yeah, I would definitely train judo instead of doing those.

P.S. also, forgot to add...fuck you

Comment

Your a newb, the only way to get better is to train smarter, harder, and consistently. You can chose to look at those black belts as jerks and quite or you can use the frustration and anger you feel to motivate you to get better.

There are lots of ways to look at his "disappointing" comment. Maybe he said it to be a jerk or maybe he was trying to tell you he was disappointed you give up a dominate position to play guard/half guard. As for checking the imaginary watch and nails, I do that all the time. It's supposed to let you know "Hey, I'm getting bored with you not doing anything. Try to attack me so I can actually get some training in here."

HTFU, your doing martial arts not baking a cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Necroyunus View Post
                    the funny thing is what you are talking and being a dick about right now is about a time where i JUST thought grappling is shit and you can kick any grappler in the face if they try to take you down etc.
                    And I just found out THIS MAGICAL SHIT that is AWESOME and is BETTER than any other art.:ninja2:(everybody was a noob once)

I didn't know any SHIT about grappling, I didn't know what judo really was etc.

If you'd ask me now though, hell yeah, I would definitely train judo instead of doing those.

P.S. also, forgot to add...fuck you
                    Being a dick, its a Judo black belt thing.

Well that does make some sense, I still think its pretty weird to be literally in the same room as a grappling coach and not to be trying to learn from them, but each to their own.

Comment

I rarely post in Bullshido as I'm still a noob having only trained a year now in Karate..

I pretty much agree with what most are saying.. it's a shame when doing your chosen hobby and some dick-head makes you look/feel stupid.

Just learn from it, train harder and bounce back. Sometimes this is the test.
                      I could give you a load of mumbo-jumbo but truth is we only learn triumph through failure.

We have a black belt in my local krotty class that teaches me who almost made me quit because he was such a dick.. however I persevered, even turning up to sessions where he came to train where he didn't have to teach us 'lower level belts'.
                      I eventually learnt that it was best for me to just 'put up and shut up'.
                      Now we get on a lot better and he's even put me fwd for my 5th Kyu test on Wednesday (after training all over summer for it).

Again.. if your club was too soft - why the need to come back?

Comment

And now you know the evil secret about blackbelts. That they are exactly the same sort of people as everybody else.
                        So you have issues. They have issues. We all do.
                        Now go train.

Comment

I always want to hear the other side of these stories.

Comment

You really have to have self esteem issues to put down a white or orange when you are a black belt. These guys, instead of giving advice or pointers, have to insult a relative beginner? Sorry man, hang in there and try to find some skilled guys to look up to who love to teach and are martial artists, not just guys trying to feel superior.

Comment

Are you the reason why your school has been focusing more on technique than randori?

What do you need to do to change this?

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                                I always want to hear the other side of these stories.
                                I agree, people here are being too quick to label the black belts as jerks with only getting one side of the story.

OK guys let me ask you a hypothetical question. Lets say you're a black belt instructor and you are practicing with a white belt student. It's been a while since you've last rolled and you notice that his skill has actually deteriorated. Do you coddle him, tell him he did a great job or do you be blunt with him and hope he takes it as a cue to step things up and improve himself?

I find it funny that most people on this site believe in training with resistance, being honest with your credentials, and instructors not to give a false sense of security to students; yet as soon as someone is perfectly blunt with a student and tells them they aren't improving, you all whine about what a meanie he is! What is more mean, telling someone he needs to improve or letting them get the shit kicked out of them because they have a false sense of confidence?

HTFU, in martial arts you have to learn about how much you suck before you can make improvements. Plus if keke actually quits because he didn't get the praise he wants, then he obviously doesn't have the tenacity to pursue martial arts. Keke, if your gonna be a whiny bitch then quite now and start writing Naruto fan fiction. Otherwise meditate on what they said and try to improve your game.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X