Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone heard of this clown? (katana murder related) Michael Brea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone heard of this clown? (katana murder related) Michael Brea?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...olice_say.html

the article has him jumping into a religious fury and slaughtering his mom with a "samurai sword" claiming he was a "derranged martial arts student".

"A deranged martial arts student, after delivering a terrifying religious rant, savagely killed his mother with a samurai sword inside her Brooklyn apartment, police and neighbors said Tuesday."

now- these type of articles are just plain pet peeves of mine, and even though the daily news is a small step above the post, which is a small step above gaining news from small children on a playground.

i would love to be able to respond to this with an email but i'm unable to locate anything specific about his actual training.

ive searched under the guys name, but too many other conflicting things come up.

its not worth spending tons of time on, but if anyone readily has knowledge (you likely live in nyc) of this guy, and where when and what he does training wise- it would help so i could maybe make a responce that even if he was a "martial artist" he was just a tool playing with a katana rather than a real sword practitioner who had a reason to have a katana.

thank you in advance anyone who knows any info or could suggest some direction.

EDIT:

I intend to ask around later, but right now i'm at work so non web based legwork is not an option. the article just makes the guy sound somewhat well known- yet i cant find anything on him so he cant be that well known.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 11/23/2010 11:33am, .

Originally posted by Bluto Blutarsky View Post
    now- these type of articles are just plain pet peeves of mine, and even though the daily news is a small step above the post, which is a small step above gaining news from small children on a playground.
    Is there anything in the article you find inaccurate, especially regarding the samurai sword murder?

its not worth spending tons of time on, but if anyone readily has knowledge (you likely live in nyc) of this guy, and where when and what he does training wise- it would help so i could maybe make a responce that even if he was a "martial artist" he was just a tool playing with a katana rather than a real sword practitioner who had a reason to have a katana.
    Does it really make a difference?

Comment

well, no.

and i can't determine if its inaccurate or not. i can't find any info on the guy to confirm or deny he was a martial arts student of anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

its not worth going nuts over, but if a quick check would yeild facts or uncover some inaccuracies about thier characterization of him as a martial arts student, or specifically a sword student, then its worth an email, not much more.

its just that ever few years a story hits the paper about some loon who dresses like a "ninjer" and starts attacking peopel with a wallhanger that resembles a katana or as the papers like to put it "samurai sword" and it kind of gets on my nerves.

Comment

Let's say he was a student of Japanese sword arts, and had a proper katana instead of a wallhanger. Does that change the story? Let's say he was just some guy who got a flea market wallhanger sword. Is it different then? Either way the guy went nuts and killed his mom with a sword.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40334933...me_and_courts/

He's an actor who has appeard on "Ugly Betty" and "Step Up 3-D." He's also, reportedly, extremely religious. Other than that, there's not much info.

Comment

Was the sword used in the murder previously owned by a Samurai ?

Comment

"Why are you wasting your time studying Tendo-ryu?" they all said. "No one is ever going to attack you with a katana," they said. Now who's laughing?

The morale of the story: keep a live blade naginata within reach at all times, just in case a crazed lunatic from a hit TV show goes nuts and comes after you.

(I wonder if he read Phil's book....)

Comment

The Daily news article said he had taken the sword from the Masonic lodge after a meeting. Is the "Samurai sword" something generally found in a lodge? msnbc just says a 3 foot sword.

Whatever the weapon, guy just lost his mind. I take issue with religious fanaticism of all denominations. I do like the way they say he was taken for a psych eval, like it requires a degree to see this one's bat shit crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by toyamabarnard View Post
                  Is the "Samurai sword" something generally found in a lodge? msnbc just says a 3 foot sword.
                  Oh shit! The Samurai Midget Shriners are back, and they're PISSED!

Sounds like a sweet name for a punk bank.

Sing with me....Nothing could be finer than a midget ninjer shriner in the mooooorning.

I think I need more coffee.

Comment

Just goes to prove what I've always said. How many more people have to die? How many is enough before we stop this madness?
                    Appearing in 3D dance movies is a dangerous influence, and should be banned!

Comment

Originally posted by toyamabarnard View Post
                      The Daily news article said he had taken the sword from the Masonic lodge after a meeting. Is the "Samurai sword" something generally found in a lodge? msnbc just says a 3 foot sword.
                      He apparently removed the murder weapon from a Masonic lodge after a meeting Monday night and then used it later on his mother, said the suspect's uncle.

Brea was a low-level Mason who was not cleared to take one of the ceremonial swords - typically stainless steel blades with a short, black grip.
                      http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...#ixzz16EzyYVcQ

Very likely something more like this:

Other reports on the crime are accurately identifying the type of sword used:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...er_police.html

Comment

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like an genuine Hatori Hanzo to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ignorami View Post
                          I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like an genuine Hatori Hanzo to me.

Hanzo could teleport, turn invisible, make shit explode just by swearing at it and his martial arts skills were so sweet he made people barf.

if that were one of his, it would have far more diamantes on the handle.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X