Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Self Defense Stories

Warning: Very long post ahead.

Before I get to the main point of this post, I need to get a few things out of the way. I am not proud of what I am about to talk about. I am only posting this story because I think a lot can be learned from it. Maybe other members of this website have similar stories about times when they had to defend themselves. I do not intend this to be a "Post your war stories" thread, but rather a post mortem on situations you may have been in where you had to defend yourself. Having to fight someone on the street is nothing to be proud of, but sometimes shit happens. Without further delay, here is the story.

One thursday morning, I was at my university sitting in my car with nothing to do. I had an exam scheduled an hour and a half from then so I decided to drive off campus to get something to eat. When I came back, the parking lots were packed, and I had only about a half hour to find a parking spot and get me and my backpack to the testing location.

As I drove down the lane of parking spots (all occupied), I spotted a girl walking towards her car the next isle over. I floored the gas and got my ass over to that lane only to see another girl preparing to take the spot. At this point, I made my one and only bad decision. I again floored the gas, and swooped into the spot just before she could, cutting her off. As I watched her drive off, she gave me a very angry look.

As I got out of my car, and took my backpack out of the back seat, I heard a male voice yelling at me. He expressed his displeasure with how I chose to aquire my parking spot and told me how he would kick my ass. I was between my car and the car next to me and he was dirrectly infront of me. As soon as he stopped mouthing off to take a breath, I asked if he could please let me pass. He didn't answer me. Instead he got right in my face and said he was going to kick my ass.

I just stood there in utter disbelief as this idiot was 2 inches from my face calling me names like "little bitch". I again asked him to please let me pass. He again declared that he was going to kick my ass. I just stood there thinking "surely this guy isn't serious." I said that I had a test and he needed to get out of my way. It was then that he decided to push me. I manage to retain my ballance and walked forward. Clearly this wasn't going to end well.

I stand there, waiting for him to make a move. I really don't want to fight. I am giving him one last chance to back down. This whole situation is so fucking stupid. He suddenly throws a wide looping punch hitting me right in the left temple. I grab onto his shirt attempting to control him and succeed in ripping it. He looks at me with an infuriated look.

His punch didn't hurt at all. I realize I am dealing with a punk who doesn't really know what he is doing. I turn around and go to retrieve my backpack and just walk away. Suddenly he runs past me and starts kicking, hitting, and otherwise abusing my backpack. I had a $1200 computer in it, and a bunch of sharp pencils, rulers, protractors and sharp objects that could complicate things if he decides to open up the bag.

Having given this guy every opportunity to stand down and not fight, I realize the only way this guy is going to let me go is for me to fight him. It has to be emphasized that he was obstructing the only path out from between my car and the next. I apply a chokehold to pull him off of my backpack, I drag him over to the grassy area infront of my car, and I take him to the ground with a headlock throw pinning him in Kese Gatame. It is at this point that my glasses got lost. At some point as I was executing the throw, he ripped my glasses off and either threw them somewhere or somehow pocketed them. (I never saw the glasses again, so I don't know which).

He flailed around underneath me, even resorting to eye gouges. Having never actually had to defend myself, I didn't know for sure what to expect, but I found that simply closing my eyes seemed to neutralize his eye gouging. (So much for t3h d34dly eye gouge. Sorry, I had to go there!)

Realizing I had control of the situation he demanded that I let him up. I told him that I would let him up as soon as he stopped struggling. He didn't listen and continued to flail around and poke my eyes out, getting nowhere on either front. I again say that I will let him up as soon as he calms down.

Eventually he seems to get the message and I slowly release the kese gatame hold. I was really cautious and really expected him to continue fighting after I let him up. To my surprise he disengaged and walked back to my car.

He continues to resume his trash talking but is suddenly not that eager to fight again. I remind him that I could have really hurt him if I really wanted to and he should walk away. I add that perhaps he could act like a man and help me find my glasses. He continues to mouth off. I tell him that he can try to fight me again if he wants but the result will be the same. Then he walks away.

Now, while I managed to fight off my attacker, I had a new bigger problem. Without my glasses I was blind. Furthermore, without my glasses, I could no longer drive my car. My test was in 5 minutes by this point. Knowing that I needed help, and also knowing that other people probably saw me fighting with this guy, i called the police and told them that i had just been attacked, i had lost my glasses, and that I could no longer see.

The police came, i filed a report (which I gave a copy of to my teacher which got me exempted from the test which I ended up missing). They tried to help me find my glasses, but they were gone.

Long story short, I ended up calling my dad and having him drive my contact lenses over to the university. I put them in, and sat in my car listening to the radio for a bit before finally walking off to pursue other orders of business.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't leave campus before an exam unless you know you can get your parking spot back.

2. If you can't get your parking spot back, cutting off a girl is not the answer.

3. The jerk that confronted me was NOT with the girl I cut off and only intervened because he couldn't mind his own business.

4. Apparently taking a punch from a punk in a parkinglot doesn't really hurt all that much. (I still wouldn't want to take a punch from a competent fighter though.)

5. Some people are hell bent on fighting you even after you do everything you can think of to avoid fighting.

6. High School wrestling will work just fine when defending against parking lot punks. (I didn't have to use any submissions)

7. T3h D34dly eye gouges are little more than a minor nuisance in a grappling situation.

Look. I am not proud of this. But it happened. The moral of the story is, don't be an asshole. Its not the girl in the other car's problem that you are late for a test. And there are stupid people who will make the fact that you cut said girl off their problem. If I had just heeded this advice and not been an asshole to this girl, I would still have that pair of glasses and none of this would have happened. Post mortem over. Any comments, concerns, personal stories? I would very much like to hear them.

I think you handled the situation quite well, considering he actually hit you first. I have seen people get really worked up over parking lot disputes, especially at Christmas time in the mall parking lots..considering this dork was not even the one you cut off, or her boyfroend, his behavior is next to unpardonable. What reason did he have to get involved? Was he trying to impress the girl in question? Did he even know her? Strange..
    In any event, you used considerable restraint.Much more than I think I would have if the guy actually struck me.
    Sorry about your glasses.
    Next time, just eat lunch on campus when you have a test! lol

Comment

Originally posted by OZZ View Post
      ...Was he trying to impress the girl in question? Did he even know her? Strange..
      In any event, you used considerable restraint.Much more than I think I would have if the guy actually struck me.
      Sorry about your glasses.
      Next time, just eat lunch on campus when you have a test! lol
      I am going with the theory that the guy thought he would get laid if he confronted me. As far as eating lunch on campus goes, thats exactly what my dad said when he showed up. Oh well.

Comment

You had someone in Kesa Gatami and you didn't apply the Bas Rutten Neck Crank? Oooh the missed opportunity...

Comment

Good job, OP, you handled that well.

As for t3h [email protected] eye gouge, well your choke was stronger than his finger, so that's why the gouge didn't work :lol:

Comment

my initial thought when i read your disclaimer was that the content of your post was going to be an epic aikido beatdown that you handed three russian mutants with chainsaws for hands.

i however was pleasantly surprised. id also say you handled that well considering he did smack you in the face first.

Comment

Can I hear the "epic aikido beatdown that you handed three russian mutants with chainsaws for hands" story please?

I liked your story, but that one sounds AWESOME

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3pj...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by WWeThai
                  I gave him all my money but I guess he was just looking for some one to fight. How would you feel if some one charged out you with a dirty dildo?
                  In my humble opinion, if someone demands you give them your wallet, just give it to them. You don't know if he has a weapon, and you definitely don't know if he has friends waiting to assist him. It's just not worth it.

All and all, you should avoid fighting until it is your only option. You'll live much longer that way.

Comment

When I was 19, a 16-year-old tried to mug me at an ATM with a Snapple bottle. He just came up behind me and whacked me in the head. I kicked him in the balls.

True story.

Comment

Originally posted by musicalmike235 View Post
                      In my humble opinion, if someone demands you give them your wallet, just give it to them. You don't know if he has a weapon, and you definitely don't know if he has friends waiting to assist him. It's just not worth it.

All and all, you should avoid fighting until it is your only option. You'll live much longer that way.
                      ..But you'll have to live your life knowing you're a pussy.

I've never been approached like that, probably just because of the weird ape like shuffle I do when I walk, but unless he has a weapon he aint getting my things.

and tbh, if you allow yourself to be cornered by a large group you don't pass the natural selection test.

Comment

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post

I've never been approached like that, probably just because of the weird ape like shuffle I do when I walk, but unless he has a weapon he aint getting my things.

and tbh, if you allow yourself to be cornered by a large group you don't pass the natural selection test.
                        I'd rather be a living pussy than a dead bad-ass. The point of self defense is first and foremost to stay alive. Ofcourse you should protect your property if possible, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just stuff.

As far as allowing yourself to be cornered by a large group goes, I elect to avoid situations where that is likely to happen. This includes avoiding areas with high gang activity and other common sense things like that. If you really need to be in places like that, you should be investing in a concealed carry permit and a hand gun as well as unarmed self defense.

Comment

Ah the deadly eye-gouge. I remember being taught that to be used to escape ye olde scarf hold ~Jitsu Foundation Memories~ And your story shows just how bullshit that is.

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post

I agree here. Surely most mugger types know that unless they have a good reason like a weapon I'm more likely to punch them in the face or something?

Comment

Originally posted by musicalmike235 View Post

I don't know about that one. I think my response would have to be, "If you show me a weapon I'll be happy to sir" (with an implied "otherwise go fuck yourself"). I'm not an expert, but I believe a murderer is going to come up on you and stab/shoot/etc. you without displaying the weapon, but most robbers will want to show you the weapon to intimidate you and make you hand over your shit.

Originally posted by MMAMikey
                            Actually this did happen to me and a friend while waiting on a subway platform. Some crazy looking guy just walked up and told us to give him our wallets. We were just like "No" and he walked off without saying anything, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by maofas View Post
                              I don't know about that one. I think my response would have to be, "If you show me a weapon I'll be happy to sir" (with an implied "otherwise go fuck yourself"). I'm not an expert, but I believe a murderer is going to come up on you and stab/shoot/etc. you without displaying the weapon, but most robbers will want to show you the weapon to intimidate you and make you hand over your shit.
                              I guess you have a point. I really never put that much thought into it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X