No announcement yet.

Karate school in San Diego with serious kata aplication study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might try widening your search to include CMA schools. You'll likely run into the same issue (people big into forms application often aren't training live), but a larger pool to draw from will increase your chances.
    Last edited by maofas; 11/17/2010 6:06pm, .

Comment

I just feel obligated at this point to say "Do Judo" since your already doing a striking art. Their is a really good Judo school in Mira Mesa "Judo America" or BJJ San Diego has some seriously good BJJ places.
      I will finish with one of my favorite Judo videos
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U96M9aJCsmo

Comment

I must've missed the part where the OP said he wanted to crosstrain kata to make himself a more complete fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by maofas View Post
          I must've missed the part where the OP said he wanted to crosstrain kata to make himself a more complete fighter.
          He didn't but he has indicated that he likes aliveness, things that are good for street defense and just having some good old fun.
          The more complete fighter thing just goes hand and hand with this forum I mean it wouldn't really be Bullshido with out someone giving him that bit of advise. All and all I don't think he is going to be upset with the suggestion especially since what he IS looking for will be rather hard to find. I have started asking around some of the people I know out here in San Diego to see if anyone knows a place I hope to hear back from them soon.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your help !! I'll keep on looking !
            Also, thanks for the Judo advice. It is an option but not what I'm looking for.

Train hard !

Comment

I wish you luck, but I don't think that your search will be successful. Typically, bunkai aren't taut to junior rank students. So even if you find an instructor with just the right mix of kata ---> bunkai ---> drills ---> increasing aliveness, they might not let you in on it for a couple of years until you know a number of the katas.

I trained that way for a number of years and loved it, but it was only once I started to approach a dan level. Now, I've started again with judo from a white belt level. Paraphrasing an earlier poster, I know how to punch - time to learn how to throw.

Comment

Training in the applications of kata/bunkai doesn't require a school specifically dedicated to that aim. It just requires some nonlinear thinking and a few training partners who aren't afraid of hitting hard.

Comment

Originally posted by helmutlvx View Post
                  Training in the applications of kata/bunkai doesn't require a school specifically dedicated to that aim. It just requires some nonlinear thinking and a few training partners who aren't afraid of hitting hard.
                  I don't know about that. If you're learning some obscure move in a kata from an instructor who hasn't really analyzed the bunkai, you might be learning some impractical applications to the moves you're learning. For example, a misguided karate instructor might teach gedan barai as a defense against a roundhouse kick. It seems superficially logical, yet it's a poor application of the technique.

Comment

Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
                    I don't know about that. If you're learning some obscure move in a kata from an instructor who hasn't really analyzed the bunkai, you might be learning some impractical applications to the moves you're learning. For example, a misguided karate instructor might teach gedan barai as a defense against a roundhouse kick. It seems superficially logical, yet it's a poor application of the technique.
                    I'm sort of assuming that the other people he would be training with actually know how to hit hard, so I suppose that could be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by helmutlvx View Post
                      I'm sort of assuming that the other people he would be training with actually know how to hit hard, so I suppose that could be an issue.
                      As I understand it, there's a lot of details of bunkai that are more than just hitting hard. Again with the gedan barai example, a guy might know how to hit hard with his forearm, but again if he is teaching its application as a block to a low/mid roundhouse kick, it's a poor application even if he can do it hard.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X