Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karate school in San Diego with serious kata aplication study

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Karate school in San Diego with serious kata aplication study

    Hi,

    Does anyone know of a karate school in San Diego that study kata bunkai using alive training methods ?!?!

    I don't care about style or anything, I just love karate kata and am looking for people that are the same and use proper training methods.

    Thnak you very much

    #2
    You want kata and aliveness? Wild. Look for a Kyokushin (or one of its offshoots) school. There's one in google, I promise.

    Comment


      #3
      I am a little confused. Are you looking for a school that does both Kata and Aliveness or are you looking for Aliveness in the Kata itself?

      Comment


        #4
        Yeah, I am a wild one !!! :)

        I thought about kyokushin, but I am under the impression that they treat kata and kumite as different things, the opposite of what I am looking for. Please do tell me if my view of kyokushin is wrong !!!

        This is a tough request, I am the first to admit. But there must be some people out there that want to train like this....:sad5:

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by goodlun View Post
          I am a little confused. Are you looking for a school that does both Kata and Aliveness or are you looking for Aliveness in the Kata itself?

          I am looking for the second. Aliveness in the study of kata application. Not kata performance. Trying to tease out what the fuck were those crazy Okinawans/Chinese thinking about when they created forms as a training method.

          Comment


            #6
            Please do me a favor and define what "Aliveness" and what "Kata" mean to you so that we may better serve you.

            Comment


              #7
              There's a kyokushin dojo in Clairemont that I've heard good things about, but what you're asking for is a tall order.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
                There's a kyokushin dojo in Clairemont that I've heard good things about, but what you're asking for is a tall order.
                Could that be because the 2 terms are almost certainly mutually exclusive? Or am I missing something(completely possible)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                  Please do me a favor and define what "Aliveness" and what "Kata" mean to you so that we may better serve you.
                  Cool !

                  For me:

                  Aliveness- Practicing techniques and principles with an increasingly resistant oponent, culminating in a open form drill or sparring.


                  Kata- (this is a tough one, so the definition is for the purpose of this thread) Kata for me is a collection of techniques, tactics and principles complied by someone to be used in civilian self-defense.

                  @CodosDePiedra: If it was a simple deal I wouldn't need bullshido.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Shinkaze View Post
                    Cool !

                    For me:

                    Aliveness- Practicing techniques and principles with an increasingly resistant oponent, culminating in a open form drill or sparring.


                    Kata- (this is a tough one, so the definition is for the purpose of this thread) Kata for me is a collection of techniques, tactics and principles complied by someone to be used in civilian self-defense.

                    @CodosDePiedra: If it was a simple deal I wouldn't need bullshido.
                    See that to me made it much easier. Now all you have to do is find a Karate school that teaches through Aliveness. Since what they will hopefully be teaching you while doing this will be techniques, tactics for self defense.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                      Could that be because the 2 terms are almost certainly mutually exclusive? Or am I missing something(completely possible)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You nailed it !!!

                        I'm not concerned at all about not sparing. That is why I go to Thai Boxing classes !!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Shinkaze View Post
                          You nailed it !!!

                          I'm not concerned at all about not sparing. That is why I go to Thai Boxing classes !!
                          Just curious about motivation at this point. Is this something your looking for because you don't feel that the Thai Boxing is adequately preparing you for self defense applications and if so what is it missing? Or is this just something your interested in that looks like fun?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                            Just curious about motivation at this point. Is this something your looking for because you don't feel that the Thai Boxing is adequately preparing you for self defense applications and if so what is it missing? Or is this just something your interested in that looks like fun?

                            Just something for fun. Like solving puzzles. This doesn't mean I am not serious about it though.
                            Last edited by Shinkaze; 11/17/2010 2:27pm, . Reason: serious

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X