Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boulder Kodokan

Hey guys, does anyone know about these guys? http://www.boulderkodokan.com/

I'm looking for a traditional style school to attend with my wife (she has no martial arts experience other than her uncle is 6th dan Aikido) that actually has practical self defense skills. Given my white crane background I like the concept of goju ryu, it sounds like it would build on the white crane. This would be a school I attend with the missus.

For my alone time, I'm looking at Boulder Grappling or Easton BJJ, anyone have any thoughts on the ground game schools. I'm 44, so I have no delusions about competing ever.

Originally posted by BigBuck View Post
    For my alone time, I'm looking at Boulder Grappling or Easton BJJ, anyone have any thoughts on the ground game schools. I'm 44, so I have no delusions about competing ever.
    Don't let being 44 stop you, we have a guy that is a 62 year old white belt that competes.
    Also Welcome

Comment

I think Easton is amazing because Prof. Amal is a really nice guy. He is also a Renzo Gracie BB and Pan American BJJ champ. I'm dying to go there my self but have been held up with medical issues.

From my very limited personal experience I'd be very wary of most traditional hard style martial arts because they seem to lack the idea of knee safety first. As you bang out dry kick after dry kick you'll wonder if this was as bad for your knees as that time you tried to be macho and leg extend 300lbs. :)

Also they teach Muay Thai there M/W/F so could be great for conditioning but again durability concerns might rear their ugly head here a bit. It does seem that Easton has people's safety as an extremely high priority. That said there is extensive randori and it should fit the bill for self defense in the grappling/striking ranges. There are also girls only classes which might be great for the wife's comfort(might avoid rear naked back hair).

Take that for what it's worth as I'm a nOOb who at this point has only practiced Tang Soo Do(maybe the only live TSD in the US as far as I can tell).

Comment

I can only comment on Easton BJJ. A friend and his wife are black belts under Prof. Easton and they are solid as they come. Based on them, I would say definitely check that place out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X