Ottawa Krav Maga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ottawa Krav Maga

I've got no actual martial arts experience and I'd like to learn self defense; I've been looking up on a local Krav Maga institution and want to know if anyone has any experience or opinions of it.
    The school is Ottawa Krav Maga and the instructor is Laurent Mougeot.
    Is this a reliable school or system? It seems practical to me, but again I have zero practical experience. Any critcism or opinions would be helpful.

Originally posted by Blamehoffman View Post
    I've got no actual martial arts experience and I'd like to learn self defense; I've been looking up on a local Krav Maga institution and want to know if anyone has any experience or opinions of it.
    The school is Ottawa Krav Maga and the instructor is Laurent Mougeot.
    Is this a reliable school or system? It seems practical to me, but again I have zero practical experience. Any critcism or opinions would be helpful.
    http://www.kravmagaottawa.ca/

^you mean this school?

Comment

No mats, all hardwood floors ... not a good sign .

From the pictures in their gallery and spread throughout the site you're looking at either a bunch of LARPING or a very dangerous place to train at. 75/25 with odds on compliant larping with padded boppers.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

If you really want to learn how to fight, head to your nearest mma gym.

Comment

He said self defense, are you saying knowing how to fight is self defense?

Comment

First off I like the Bill Hicks Quote,
            Second of all the pics with the hardwood flooring are "seminars", which I suppose are training for special situations, thats at the Cartleton University Combatives Room, I know because I go to school there and took an intro to Aikido in that room (ok, so I have 3 months of learning how to fall down properly but I wouldnt qualify that as "martial arts experience"), the room does have mats which are stacked out of frame.
            Anywho, there are pics on the site of them training on blue mats.

Comment

See if you can get a free week(or at least two classes) and let us know how it goes. Keep your eyes open and let us know what you see, what the training is like, etc. If possible ask to see a sparring session. And if he says they don't full contact spar take your money elsewhere.

Comment

My name is Laurent Mougeot, I am the Instructor for Krav maga Ottawa and Director of IKMF in Canada. Please don`t focus on the facility. We have mats that we use when the time comes, otherwise it's carpet. Since we are not doing Akido or MMA and therefore not doing grabbling (ground fighting in KM consists in getting back up ASAP and we do not go to the ground on purpose) it has never been a problem. We are a legitimate branch of the IKMF and our Instructors have received the best training available. And yes, we do full-contact sparring but only at higher levels, you won't do that at first of course. In any case, we offer a free trial class and you can then pay monthly if you want, no long-term contract, we don't trap you in any way. The next session starts November 29th. Note that our school opened in 2007 with 15 students and we are now close to 70- it says a lot about us. You are welcome to try us anytime.
                Be safe,
                Laurent Mougeot
                Director IKMF Canada
                www.kravmagaottawa.com

Comment

If you can, go to TapouT in Gatineau. I went for a boxing class tryout last week and I really liked it. I'm sure going to subscribe!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X