Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you have videos to work on?

Comment

Anyway, I've personally never taken a Kenpo Class in my life. I can't speak too far into Kenpo.

I started off as most kids do, taking some sort of Karate Class after school in Elementary School

Then I was fortunate enough to have studied Northern Shaolin Kung Fu & Old Yang Style Tai Chi with a Taiwanese Grandmaster and 7-time Taiwan National Champion

Then I studied Jeet Kun Do, Escrima & Kali

Then I fell in with a group of sort of Renegade Martial Artists who kind of abandoned traditional styles and incorporated all they learned from different arts and from each other, and Just kind of used everything and anything. This was before the UFC was even created. This seemed to be a trend among people who read the Tao of Jeet Kun Do, and really started what people refer to as MMA, which really is just an umbrella term for learning all you can and taking what works best for your Martial Arts goals.

Members of this group and myself intersected with a larger LARPING organization for a while, before gathering the serious Martial Artists into a study group almost entirely weapons focused, which helped me keep up with Weapons I'd previously studied, and expand that into really a very large number of weapons fighting systems, including Norske, Germanic, Mongolian, and Roman Fighting Styles, with everyone bringing something to the table from their own culture or upbringing or past study.

Then I moved to Kauai and met Douglas McCleod just as he'd opened his school there, teaching something called Yen Ching Dao, which I think was spelled something like 远迁道, though it could have been in reference to the I Ching, 易經, the Classical Book of Changes.

He himself had a very strong background in Kung Fu, really quite impressive, with a strong mastery of Most Chinese weapons, as well as having mastered most traditional Japanese Weapons.

He was a huge fan of Sword Fighting, and had some advanced knowledge and skill in Scottish Highlander Swordsmanship. I don't know if that's because he had some family knowledge from the McCleod family, or that simply being McCleod drove his lifelong interest in its study. But he was equally as firm in his belief in Japanese Swordsmanship.

He also studied deeply with Grandmaster Tino Tuilosega. Through Sifu McCleod I was able to also meet with and study under Grandmaster Tino himself as well. He'd always have me sit in front of him with his arm around me. Anyway, he was the World's Bare-knuckle Boxing Champion back in the 1960's when Boxing was bare-fisted. Grandmaster Tino also worked out with Bruce Lee and there are a lot of crossover between both of their techniques & teachings. He also trained Marines in Hand to Hand Combat, and greatly advanced the US Marines Fighting styles of the day. Tino was born Royalty in Samoa, and spent his earliest years learning to fight with masters of Polynesian & other Fighting Arts, before developing his own system.

Sifu McCleod often told a story of how Mr. Tino would have all of his Black belts surround him and told him to take them all on at the same time.

Yen Ching Dao he translated as "Ever Changing Way", and he encouraged you to learn and study all you could from as many sources as possible.

Through him I was able to expand out and study with Instructors who train UFC fighters in Grappling, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Small Circle Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, among other styles.

This was back when the UFC was brand new.

His Dojo was open to anyone, and people from all over the world would come to train, people who lived in Thailand just to study Muay Thai for decades would come and work out with us, teach us, etc.

From all I've seen from Ed Parker & Tracy's Kenpo, I stand by Douglas Mcleod's assertion that he took what was most useful, and made it more effective.

Even when looking a the video of Ed Parker above, there are some vague similarities to Yen Ching Dao, but Yen Ching Dao was far more effective, direct, destructive & lethal.

But Ed Parker really shaped much of Grandmaster McLeod's Martial Art System, but probably equally so did Grandmaster Tino Tuiolosega, His Chinese Martial Arts instructors, His Swordsmanship Mentors, and everyone else he studied and learned from, as it is with all Martial Artists. But the man was a Genius, a Highlander who would probably take your head if it meant "There can be only one, Highlander".

In fact, there is nothing bad you could ever say about Yen Ching Dao, as Mr. McCleod was as Humble as they come, and his system is one that is ever changing, and he embraces change and knowledge and learning from all sources, something we can definitely say is sorely lacking in the Martial Arts world. Whatever negative thing you might feel you have to say about Yen Ching Dao, Douglas would have embraced you, taught you, learned from you, and then destroyed you.

His is truly a style of fluidity and dynamic change and evolution.

He has passed away.

He's now a Highlander on Holy Ground.

May God rest his soul.
      Last edited by Tenzen; 10/07/2019 12:19pm, .

Comment

Brevity is the soul of wit.
        "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
          Benny the Jet's mother was a wrestler, and his father was a champion boxer.

Benny started competing in boxing at the age of 5.

It is true that Benny started training in kids Karate at the age of 7 under a Kenpo stylist.

But Benny received his black belt in Karate from his brother Arnold at the age of 14, in Arnold's style of Karate.

Arnold's style of Karate, which he founded, was focused on kick boxing competition, and while strongly influenced by the fact that Arnold had been awarded black belts in both Shotokan, and Kenpo, was very much a kick boxing focused approach.

And Arnold Urquidez (the older brother, not the father) was himself an avid competitor, unlike Ed Parker.

Benny fought in some promotions that Ed Parker was affiliated with, but Ed Parker was a LARPer, and a promoter, and a seller of LARP-fu.
          Benny teaches ke?po.

Your argument is unsound.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenzen View Post
            Anyway, I've personally never taken a Kenpo Class in my life. I can't speak too far into Kenpo.
            That's ok, practically no one here has, or can.

Comment

Ooh we got a live one!

Do you want to fight me with real knives?
              No.
              I've honestly never even practiced fighting with a real blade, think you can take me?
              Absolutely. Your ass would be grass.

Is someone going to attack you with a knife?
              Hopefully not but considering my occupation, social status and routine chances are pretty fair.

Do you possess the muscle memory to take on a highly-skilled knife-wielding attacker who has full intent to kill?
              Yeah. It's called running.

Comment

Originally posted by Sovvolf View Post
                Brevity is the soul of wit.
                or, perhaps more likely, the requisite of ADHD.

Ask yourself, is it a wall of text?

or is text itself your own personal wall?

The mind doth ponder.

Comment

I have ADHD. It's a wall of text.
                  "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
                    Absolutely. Your ass would be grass.

Comment

I have ADHD. It's a wall of text.
                      then perhaps you can think of it more as "a hurdle".

Take it slowly.

And remember, that seemingly insurmountable block of text is the equivalent of approximately 1/4 page of printed text in books, the bane of your existence.

Comment

If I beat you to a point where if I continued you'd almost certainly die. Then the point is very much proven while we both remain alive.

Comment

then perhaps you can think of it more as "a hurdle".

Take it slowly.

And remember, that seemingly insurmountable block of text is the equivalent of approximately 1/4 page of printed text in books, the bane of your existence.
                          Mate you're going to have to display a level of intellect before you start insulting others.

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                            Benny teaches ke?po.

Your argument is unsound.
                            Benny the Jet teaches Ukidokan Kickboxing (focuses on Kickboxing legal techniques) and Ukidokan Karate (which includes both kick boxing techniques and Judo techniques).

That said, Benny is credentialed to teach a dozen or more martial arts and combat hand to hand sports, if he wanted to.

And he can teach the stunt man business, and movie martial arts, too.

The guy has done it all, including early MMA before we were using MMA as a common term.

Comment

It's a statement of fact. Engage me in a knife fight and you'll be bleeding out from three different arteries before you even realize what happened.

If I want to take a shot at your brain stem you'll be effectively dead before you hit the ground.

This is a stupid conversation for you to initiate in the first place Mr. "never worked with live blades".

Comment

If I beat you to a point where if I continued you'd almost certainly die. Then the point is very much proven while we both remain alive.
                                Ah, I see, in your terrific imaginings do two people fight with real knives for a long time? I'm so interested in your fantastic, dare I say whimsical approach.

So, bring your knife bro, let's see how long, exactly, it takes two people with knives to get the point where "if you continued, they'd most certainly die"

I mean, I'm simply too curious to let this one escape us. Just for myself, I'll say that moment comes just slightly before the time whatever little tricky idea of your decides to flick on the light switch and take a stab or slash at me.

At that point, there's no stopping the knife at your Jugular or Eye or Groin or Femoral Artery, because, well, you have a knife and thought you'd be clever

Thus, I'm willing to bet you that I can drop you before your clogged up brain decides to go for it, in a single move. one move bro. Not, "until I get to the point where you'd likely die if I continued".. thats just called a single strike.

Perhaps you can try and differentiate between real world mechanics and what happens in your fights where you and your opponent are simultaneously dodging sheep which frolick over the fence, which you are almost too busy to count.

Mate you're going to have to display a level of intellect before you start insulting others.
                                Sage advice, mate.
                                Last edited by Tenzen; 10/07/2019 2:00pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X