switching from taekwondo limited choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from taekwondo limited choices

I'm a second degree in taekwondo, but I want to try something different the only problem is we don't have a lot. What we do have is Okinawan Karate, a few more taekwondo schools, a baguazhang school (he only teaches in the morning and is really informal). There's also a Bjj school, but they don't have any black belts there at all so I'm a little skeptical of the teachers. There is also a boxing school as well.

As you can see I don't have too many options any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Boxing is always fun.

Comment

What belt level teaches bjj?

Box it's fucking awesome.

Comment

BJJ purple belts and above will still be able to teach you a shit load. Boxing seems a good option as well.
        GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
        Originally posted by Devil
        I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
        Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
        I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

At the bjj school I personally met a purple belt. I believe there is a brown belt there or used to be at least, I know that the purple belt has been training for 8 or 9 years. Also the bjj school has a 6 month contract which I don't like and the boxing is no contract.

Comment

Boxing it is, then.
            GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
            Originally posted by Devil
            I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
            Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
            I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Originally posted by punkguy03 View Post
              At the bjj school I personally met a purple belt. I believe there is a brown belt there or used to be at least, I know that the purple belt has been training for 8 or 9 years. Also the bjj school has a 6 month contract which I don't like and the boxing is no contract.
              It's the hours to obtain a certain belt level that counts.
              Here's about a rough equasion about which belt you get in Judo and BJJ if you have trained the same time of hours:

Judo - BJJ
              ---------------------
              BB 1 Dan = Purple Belt
              BB 2 Dan = Brown Belt
              BB 3 Dan = Black Belt

AND
              do Boxing, because with a Taekwondo background, you will be lousy with your fists and not used to getting punched in the face.

Comment

Sounds like you have alot of options to me.

A Taekwondo teacher I have spoken to (6th degree) who has also done BJJ (3 or 4 stripe white belt) said that purple belt in BJJ takes the same time and dedication for a 3rd degree in an average Taekwondo school for the average student.

One more vote for Boxing. You could also check the Okinawan Karate school they may be good but chances are from what I have heard they wont be. Just make sure you read the thread about choosing a martial arts school and watch the videos on aliveness to help you make an informed decision.

Comment

Do boxing for six months and if you're able to stick with it, do BJJ for the next six months. They'll both combine very well with your TKD.

Comment

Oh, while normally I would consider Okinawan karate a step up from TKD, if you have boxing and BJJ to train with, that is an opportunity that shouldn't be ignored.

Comment

To repeat speedycerviche's good advice, do read the stickies and at least check out the Okinawan dojo - the one here in Logan UT is one of the better schools (hard strict workouts with infrequent, but very serious sparring sessions) while you are on your way to probably doing the BJJ (yes, purple is very qualified to teach) and/or boxing.
                      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X