What should I start with first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I start with first?

Alright so I've come to the conclusion that i want to train in BJJ(http://www.cbjj.net) and Muay Thai(http://www.fairtexgyms.com), But i dont know what to start training in first. Im am only 15 so my mom will be paying for my classes for now, But i am only allowed one MA at a time (tight budget).

I know BJJ takes a lot more time on average to develop into a good ground fighter. And that Muay Thai is a little on the simpler side. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Jesse

Have you tried out classes at both gyms?

That would be my initial suggestion, check them out, see which one, if either, fit better for you with prices, times, class style and parental acceptance.

I've never trained in Muay Thai, so I'm obviously biased, but I'd be tempted to suggest BJJ, simply because it can take a while to get into and might be better, as far as contact goes.

But the Cissero BJJ place does seem to offer MMA too, which might satisfy your initial striking needs, as well as Judo (so jealous).
    Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Comment

Originally posted by syberia View Post
      Have you tried out classes at both gyms?

That would be my initial suggestion, check them out, see which one, if either, fit better for you with prices, times, class style and parental acceptance.

I've never trained in Muay Thai, so I'm obviously biased, but I'd be tempted to suggest BJJ, simply because it can take a while to get into and might be better, as far as contact goes.

But the Cissero BJJ place does seem to offer MMA too, which might satisfy your initial striking needs, as well as Judo (so jealous).
      Thanks for the reply, I have only heard about the Muay Thai school but went to a free lesson at Cissero BJJ, I really like the environment there, great teachers and no ego driven students, atleast from what i saw. I think im just gonna stick with the Cissero BJJ, and besides I wanted to do BJJ in the first place, but came across the MT school and it caught my interest.

Thanks again,
      -Jesse

Comment

You are 15 and live in Northern California, if your school has a wrestling team join immediately. If not, set up a deal to go to a school in your district and wrestle there. Don't wait. The wrestling taught at American high schools and colleges has proven very effective in MMA. Also, Muay Thai and bjj will leave holes in your game that the wrestling will fill perfectly ( takedown offense and defense.) The conditioning is 1st rate and it is nice to have a school activity. Once you do this, pick whichever one of the two arts you enjoy more to start off with and do it during the wrestling off season.

Comment

Originally posted by mike321 View Post
          You are 15 and live in Northern California, if your school has a wrestling team join immediately. If not, set up a deal to go to a school in your district and wrestle there. Don't wait. The wrestling taught at American high schools and colleges has proven very effective in MMA. Also, Muay Thai and bjj will leave holes in your game that the wrestling will fill perfectly ( takedown offense and defense.) The conditioning is 1st rate and it is nice to have a school activity. Once you do this, pick whichever one of the two arts you enjoy more to start off with and do it during the wrestling off season.
          This is excellent advice. Wrestling is free/low cost depending, and is a skill set that will be absolutely invaluable in your training. I'm so thankful for the 3 years I spent wrestling in high school, as they've helped in everything else I've trained.

That said, unless your parents are well grounded, BJJ will go over way better than being beaten on a regular basis.
          "Emevas,
          You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas View Post
            This is excellent advice. Wrestling is free/low cost depending, and is a skill set that will be absolutely invaluable in your training. I'm so thankful for the 3 years I spent wrestling in high school, as they've helped in everything else I've trained.

That said, unless your parents are well grounded, BJJ will go over way better than being beaten on a regular basis.
            Wish I'd had a wrestling team in high school.
            Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Comment

wrestling first (if you can) then BJJ for now.

depends on what kind of school you go to, in mine i had an old school thai teacher who had brutal conditioning classes on friday that would leave me with bruises the size of pillows on both sides of my ribs and diaphragm.

not to mention my shins were so battered and gross that it looked like i am growing a vaccine for something.

So BJJ because its less visually horrifying, wait till you can pay for yourself before you jump into MT.

Comment

And BJJ is more fun. Muay Thai, at least the way my instructor teaches (Master Toddy lineage), is mostly endless drills, and occasionally sparring (get beat up), and while I guess it's an effective teaching method, it's not really fun the way BJJ can be.
                "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Originally posted by patfromlogan View Post
                  And BJJ is more fun. Muay Thai, at least the way my instructor teaches (Master Toddy lineage), is mostly endless drills, and occasionally sparring (get beat up), and while I guess it's an effective teaching method, it's not really fun the way BJJ can be.

I defintately agree with this. I enjoy the MT part of my training but it can be painful at times. You can only throw so many elbows or kicks until your skin starts to rip(not to mention the bruising). For now BJJ is likely the one to least freak out your parents and aside from some occasional joint pain is easier on the body(not to mention great for conditioning). I've been doing a lot of rolling the last couple of weeks and as a beginner I can tell you it's awesome.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys i start at Cissero BJJ early next week, Wish me luck :)

Comment

Good luck and welcome to Bullshido.
                      I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                      BILL HICKS,
                      1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                      ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Oops, As to the wrestling comments.. My school has wrestling but I dont really like the personality of the coaches at my school, Being a sophomore I know them pretty well i guess. And my school only takes Football seriously, so our Wrestling team is pretty pathetic (plus budget cuts, ughhh). If i were to find somewhere to take wrestling would i be at a disadvantage because of my build? Im 5'9 175lbs, Considering wrestling goes by weight so would i be facing guys like 6'0??

Comment

Originally posted by JoubuNa View Post
                          Oops, As to the wrestling comments.. My school has wrestling but I dont really like the personality of the coaches at my school, Being a sophomore I know them pretty well i guess. And my school only takes Football seriously, so our Wrestling team is pretty pathetic (plus budget cuts, ughhh). If i were to find somewhere to take wrestling would i be at a disadvantage because of my build? Im 5'9 175lbs, Considering wrestling goes by weight so would i be facing guys like 6'0??
                          Yeah you would be facing taller guys.

Wait you're 15, 5'9 and 175lbs?

What do your parents feed you?

Comment

Originally posted by JoubuNa View Post
                            You would not be at a disadvantage. Even if you don't like the coaches, I'd suggest sucking it up and training wrestling if you can bear it. You'll only have to deal with those coaches for a few years versus gaining skill that will benefit you for the rest of your martial career.

Sacrifice for wrestling now and be the bane of pure BJJ guys for the rest of your time in the sport.
                            Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

im jealous your starting a sick art at a young age! enjoy it bud.
                              wish i did a good art instead of the bujikan when i was a little younger.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X