Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round the world Training

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Round the world Training

    Hey there, thought I'd seek the advice of those wiser than me. I'm going to be finishing up university next year and afterwards want to do a bit of travelling. This will also give me the opportunity to train whilst abroad. I've been looking into round the world flights and was hoping that someone might have some suggestions as to training venues to visit whilst travelling.

    I'm currently studying Judo, which I would like to do quite a bit of whilst abroad but I'd love to study other styles e.g. bjj, sambo, sanda as well.

    Here's the kind of vague idea of destinations I have so far;

    1. Tokyo - staying for 2 Months. Train at the Kodokan and use Tokyo as a base for experiencing Japan.

    2. Los Angeles, where I'd like to train at Hayastan, also visiting Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas. Any other suggestions welcome.

    3. New York - I've heard many great things about NY Combat Sambo on the forum.

    4. Rio - train BJJ for a couple of months.

    If anyone has any experience or can direct me to some great training opportunities it would be most appreciated.

    #2
    If your gonna be in Vegas you would want to look up Relson Gracie. It doesn't get much better than training Gracie Jiu-Jitsu with a Gracie. Also if you have the time you might want to consider stopping by 690 Gym in Moorpark, CA and taking a few boxing lessons from Brandon Jones.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by herbo1 View Post
      I'm currently studying Judo, which I would like to do quite a bit of whilst abroad but I'd love to study other styles e.g. bjj, sambo, sanda as well.

      Here's the kind of vague idea of destinations I have so far;

      1. Tokyo - staying for 2 Months. Train at the Kodokan and use Tokyo as a base for experiencing Japan.
      What grade are you in Judo and how much experience do you have?

      What are your goals from training in Japan?

      Have you considered paid teaching schemes such as the JET scheme as a way of paying your way through a stay in Japan and using then as a base?
      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        I'm currently a sankyu with judo scotland.

        As for my goals, I just think it would be a great experience to be able to train in Japan and from several accounts that I've read, if you're willing to train hard it can be extremely rewarding. I'm not under the impression that i'll get any kind of special training in Japan that would be unavailable elsewhere. Hope this helps with my motives :)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by herbo1 View Post
          I'm currently a sankyu with judo scotland.

          As for my goals, I just think it would be a great experience to be able to train in Japan and from several accounts that I've read, if you're willing to train hard it can be extremely rewarding. I'm not under the impression that i'll get any kind of special training in Japan that would be unavailable elsewhere. Hope this helps with my motives :)
          In that case I advise you to bring a white belt with you when you head over to Japan. As even if you want to wear your green belt after a few weeks you'll soon realise why white might be a better choice...

          If you own a blue gi, leave it at home. Make sure you bring some proper flip flops or zori.

          Prepare for a non-Western style of learning. In Japan they teach by osmosis i.e they keep on kicking your arse until you slowly get better. Although the Kodokan does run a special adult beginners session which is of course quite good.

          Head over to www.judoforum.com and do a search in the questions forum for travelling to Japan. Don't bother starting a thread, because you'll get short shrift because pretty much every question about training in Japan has been answered over 9 thousand times over the years on the forum.

          If you can try and get your trip to coincide with either the Kangeiko or Shochugeiko.

          Try to learn as much Japanese as you can before you go.

          In terms of Judo as long as you try and do clean upright Judo and aren't grubbing about on the floor straggling at ankles or being a spaz the Japanese will respect what you're trying to do and won't give you a hard time.

          Be respectful.

          Don't walk in front of any old looking Japanese men standing at on the mat at the edge, walk behind them.

          Enjoy yourself! Make sure you take a decent amount of money so you can fully enjoy rippongi... Make sure you get out of Tokyo and see the rest of Japan do all the cultural stuff etc...

          Take lots of pictures!

          Be prepared to be the envy of your Judo mates and us here on bullshido.
          sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for the response. I hope I can make this trip happen. From the looks of RTW flights, going to brazil as well would just make prices skyrocket, so I might end up spending more time in Japan.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by herbo1 View Post
              Thanks for the response. I hope I can make this trip happen. From the looks of RTW flights, going to brazil as well would just make prices skyrocket, so I might end up spending more time in Japan.
              Japan is also very expensive. What university are you studying at btw?
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                I'm at Edinburgh. I checked to see whether they had any exchanges with Japan or associations with Japanese Universities but unfortunately not.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm stunned anyone finishing uni here can fund world travel! When i finished i was paying off loans for a decade, and that was before tuition fees and we still got a grant!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by herbo1 View Post
                    I'm at Edinburgh. I checked to see whether they had any exchanges with Japan or associations with Japanese Universities but unfortunately not.
                    Good Judo at Edinburgh. Do you train at the Edinburgh Judo club at all, I guarantee they will have some connections with Japan. Don't even think about going to train at a Japanese university. They won't want you, its like a local sunday league football player turning up at the Brazilian teams national training session asking for a kick about. Except if Bobaldinho or whoever plays for them could throw you hard enough to knock you out and choke you to death lol.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      @Yoj - I'm from around Edinburgh so I've managed to live at home to minimise costs. I don't have to pay tuition fees either because I'm scottish and studying at a scottish university.
                      @Judoka_UK - I don't train at EJC. I train with another great club in the area, quite a few guys from the club train full time at Ratho.

                      Your football metaphor made me lol, I meant going to a Japanese University like on an exchange program and training at one of the judo clubs, not rolling up to Tokai, green belt in hand, expecting to train with the pros lol

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by herbo1 View Post
                        Your football metaphor made me lol, I meant going to a Japanese University like on an exchange program and training at one of the judo clubs, not rolling up to Tokai, green belt in hand, expecting to train with the pros lol
                        Lol you'd be surprised at the amount people expecting to be able to rock up to Tokai or the Tokyo Met Police dojo and practice there...

                        I'm surprised Edinburgh doesn't have an exchange programme, maybe its just hard to find. I found out in my 2nd year that my university had an exchange programme with a university in Tokyo, 2 days after it closed for applications lol! Was gutted.

                        The best way to do Judo in Japan and see the country is the JET programme: http://www.jet-uk.org/

                        The Japanese Exchange teacher programme places you in a secondary or primary school to be an assisstant english teacher for a year and pays you about 25 million yen. That's right my son, go to Japan and you can be a millionaire lol! You obviously get all the generous school holiday periods and public holidays so lots of time to travel. If you end up in a secondary school they will have Judo training everyday with weights sessions etc... so if you're teaching doesn't clash you could always drop by....

                        However, this is very competitive and is for a whole year.

                        Another good option is IBU - International Budo University. This is a year long course at a Japanese university which has a specific programme for foreigners wanting to learn Budo and Japanese. It offers a Judo-Japanese language programme and Kendo-Japanese language programme. The treatment of students by the administrative staff has receivied mixed reviews as has the language programme. The Kendo programme in particular is very popular with Westerners and so has quite a bit of info on the web about it, the Judo less so. The instruction does seem to be fairly high quality although I don't know if you would get a lot of benefit from it at your level.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          traveling the world for MA and not going to thailand? explain yourself, fool!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                            The Japanese Exchange teacher programme places you in a secondary or primary school to be an assisstant english teacher for a year and pays you about 25 million yen.
                            Pretty sure you mean 2.5 million there...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
                              Pretty sure you mean 2.5 million there...
                              I did mean that yes lol! The actual figure is 3.6 though, just checked on their website.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X