water down martail arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water down martail arts

:beatdead:Ive been in martail arts for 32 years and been teaching for 25 years plus. But ive had people tell me that their there for the excersise not for self defense. or people can just open a gym just being a 1st dan this just pisses me off!!!!!! to the max. people needs to see the big picture martail arts you learn to defend your self and family by defending your self by using cool head and winning. not being wacked out anda getting you ass kicked. and making you think at work, home, and out in public to win in life. its more than push ups

I know what you mean, but the fitness perspective isn't completely illogical. A lot of us are living in a nice neighbourhood in a civilised country doing a desk job - this includes me.

I got into a lot of fights at university, but only because I liked fighting. The actual amount of time I've spent using martial arts since leaving university (and learning to behave like an adult) is precisely zero. I avoid dangerous situations, I talk my way out of trouble etc.

I still enjoy martial arts a great deal, but the only tangible benefit I get out of it is improved fitness. I live in Hong Kong, where things like street fights and muggings just don't seem to happen.

Comment

in order to be able to defend yourself properly you need to be physically fit. Going from zero to ten takes a toll on the body.

but aside, The point of martial arts is to beat up other people. even if your doing it for self defense, if you just want a few moves that won't harm your attacker but use his energy against him or some BS then you need to rethink that.

its called martial for a reason, also how long does it take to get first dan in your art? My teacher took 10 years to get his krav black belt

Comment

I was fairly certain this post was going to be about Watership Down's martial arts, so I was intrigued.

Oh well. Anyway, welcome to Bullshido, what martial arts do you study/teach?

Comment

Watching Watership Down's martial arts as a kid scarred me for life.

ah well...welcome to Bullshido duker, I think you'll like it here.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X