Sambo- how good is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sambo- how good is it?

I am interested in learning combat style sambo, but there are no schools in my area for it. Can anyone recommend a serious dvd series? Thanks

Also please post opinions or reviews of Systema Spetsnaz, as i was looking into that as well.

Welcome to Bullshido.

SAMBO, it's an acronym... It covers all (unarmed) ranges pretty comprehensively, trains in an alive manner, and generally acquits itself very well.

You won't be learning shit from DVDs though, especially as a beginner.

Systema... well, I leave that for others to cover.

Comment

acronym

Yeah its russian for self-defense without weapons. Trust me I realize dvd training is shit, but it is all i have to work with at the moment.

Sambo does appear to be effective.

Comment

SAMBO SUCKS!

Are you looking to SAMBO for the sports aspect or self defense aspect?

Comment

defense aspect

Comment

Systema Spetsnaz-Anyone tried it?

I want to know if you have tried it, and whether or not it is an effective method of hand to hand combat. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gamblesalot View Post
              I am interested in learning combat style sambo, but there are no schools in my area for it. Can anyone recommend a serious dvd series? Thanks

Also please post opinions or reviews of Systema Spetsnaz, as i was looking into that as well.
              I can recommend you do Judo and Wrestling or similar art and then do a striking art. Sambo has its roots mainly in Judo and Wrestling so doing those would be a good alternative if there is no Sambo in your area. You should not try and learn something as complex as Sambo from a DVD you will not only end up hurting your self but also with bad habbits you will have to train out once you really start training.

Comment

thanks for the tips

Comment

If you're in NY, you could consider New York Combat SAMBO, run by Bullshido's own sambosteve.

But Rochester might be a bit of a drive away.

Comment

The answer is no.

Comment

From my understanding, there are some good schools in Rochester, but they aren't SAMBO. What is it about SAMBO that makes you not want to try anything else?

Comment

Try searching for some systema threads. I think it has been discussed a few times.

Comment

SAMBO sucks.

Comment

sambo most definitely does not suck . i find it to be a very effective style that compliments my bjj very well you will learn techniques in sambo that most grappling styles/instructors dont teach

Comment

my mma training at one of my gyms has a systema influence and i have found some techniques in the system to be effective i find it to be very unorthodox and for that reason a lot of the techniques catch people off guard.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X