Help me out with Judo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me out with Judo

So I found a Judo school called Chu's martial arts. I e-mailed them and they said it's $80 a month. They have three 1hr classes a week for adults. I have a few stupid questions, here they are:

1. In any fighting environment, more specifically the streets, is Judo practical? multiple targets or not?

2. Is $80 a month worth it for 3 hours a week?

3. Do you know of any other Judo schools near yonge and finch (toronto Ontario Canada) ?

2. I don't know what the exchange rate is but that seems alright, $20 a week so about $6.90 an hour, could be good, could be alright, as I said though, I don't know the exchange rate. I pay AUS$85 for gym membership that gives me four hours of judo a week, plus access to the whole gym.

1. Judo is very practical. I'd suggest reading as much of this site as possible, you will find some really good information.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

I don't think any martial arts could prepare you for multiple targets. I thought judo was usually cheaper around 50 canadian bucks a month (but they got bingo nights to make up for it). I pay 140 canadian for a semester thats about 35 a month, but that's at a university class. I get 3 hours as well.

Comment

Look at it this way, if you can't beat one, how do you expect to beat two?
        I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
        I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

not a fan of 1 hour classes

Comment

http://www.judoontario.ca/club_direc...2/VG9yb250bw==

Judo Ontario's listing for club in your region. Find something close and check their pricing.

Comment

Run-Fu/Gun-Fu/LargeStick-Fu is more useful for multiple targets than most arts.

Maybe if you drop the first guy on his head, the rest will think twice about attacking you.

Even by ZA exchange rates, that's a pretty good deal for 3 1hr classes a week.

Comment

i like to think judo is good on the streets because in the uk people usually get right up in your face and do loads of pushy bullshit and just set themselves up for a throw

Comment

Originally posted by default View Post
                  not a fan of 1 hour classes

Thanks for your input, so much info and insightfulness in such a small post. How did you manage that?

Anyway, one hour classes aren't that bad, providing things get along quickly. My old BJJ class was only one hour, it would hurt at half an hour, 45 minutes you'd be knackered and afterwards you free rolled "outside of class hours".
                  I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

If you haven't thrown people Judon't know what you're missing.

Comment

There is an almost identical thread on this from a couple of months ago, either here on Bullshido or maybe on JudoForum - right down to the intersection. OP, are you the same guy? (or gal).

Here's a quick recap...(I'll find the link and post it later)

Chu's is a TKD club, but they bring in a Judo instructor at scheduled slots. It's a big matted area, so it is as good as the instructor. I recently learned that the same instructor is also teaching at Grant Brothers on Dufferin between Finch and Steeles. You'll simply have to check them out and see if you like them.

There's a good club around Finch and HWY 404 - Probably 20 minutes by bus.

There is Annex Judo Club at Bloor and Bathurst - Probably 20 minutes by subway.

I've had he summer off, but I train at Ronin Judo. I love the hippie atmosphere, but it would be tougher for you to get there. I do, however, know of a couple of members that do take transit from Yonge & Finch. (are you Donald or Tran?)

That gives you a couple of options. Let me try to find that link.

Comment

Originally posted by 2groggy View Post
                        ... Let me try to find that link.
                        http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topi...5&#entry577575

Found it.

Comment

I would say Judo is very useful in a street fight - especially if you're on a hard surface, which makes big throws devastating.

80 USD per month seems like quite a lot through - Judo classes are usually cheaper than that.

Just my opinion, but I think striking arts (e.g. boxing) probably work better against multiple opponents. Obviously, no-one can beat two opponents if they're both strong and skilled. However, I have seen a bouncer (who was also an amateur boxer) beat up two drunk students pretty easily. Essentially, every time he hit one of them, they'd go down, and he'd turn and hit the other one. It wasn't long before they stayed down.

Comment

Price seems ok - Judo can be effective in the street - 1 hr is a very short class - does that include the warmup ?

Comment

Bump, I still don't know if 12 hours a month for 80 bux is worth it. Here is the schedule: http://www.chusmartialarts.com/summerschedule.html

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X