How do boxing gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do boxing gloves?

Howdy there, perhaps I suck at search but allow me a newbish question.

How do boxing gloves work? Super stoked to start boxing in a couple weeks and wanna order a pair before classes start. I weigh 160lbs, does that have bearing on what weight of glove I buy? Also what do you folks think about using the same gloves on the bag at home as in sparring, cheap move? Not that id hurt anyone with 2 bricks taped to my hands anyway but I dont wanna buy a pair and get told to buy the right ones.

As a total beginner, just buy a good pair of 16oz hook and loop training gloves (spend at least $35, but no more than $65). As long as they're not bag gloves you can use them for sparring. After you decide for sure you're going to stick with it (like after a month or two of consistent training) you can decide if you have the extra cash to throw in another $45+ for bag gloves (they're better for your hands and will save your sparring gloves from deteriorating as fast since the foam is denser and the gloves are specifically designed for hitting a bag). Getting lace up sparring gloves is also a good option after a while if you do a lot of long sparring sessions since the lace up gloves give better wrist support.

Comment

http://www.mmafactory.co.uk/hayabusa...black-78-p.asp
      They also have great wrist support while retaining the easy to open/close velcro straps.

They do need a bit of use to soften them up before going hard though

Comment

Hmmm while we are on this subject: How do handwraps?

Comment

I have been plugging the following gloves for a while; a lot of guys at my club use it and we are all completely satisfied with them, especially for the price.

http://www.thunderfightgear.com/prod...products_id=31

I've had both their synleather (cadio gloves) and real leather gloves. Both are extremely durable and very easy on your sparring partners. Lasts at least a year as sparring gloves. (I've used them for bagwork a lot also) THEY ARE AWESOME!

I also like the hayabusa gloves mentioned above.

A test I use is after I put on the glove, I squeeze the padding very hard and see if I can feel any part of my knuckles or boney parts of my hand. If I can't feel it, then I use it for sparring.

Comment

i think there's a massive glove FAQ with lots of information. i suggest you search for it and read it, as it's a gold mine.

Comment

Consolidated Glove Thread (MMA , Boxing etc. Post all glove questions here!) - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Comment

Thanks mick! (on behalf of OP and other newbies)

Comment

^
                  So, if you're going to spend $65 or $80 on gloves (referencing you & Mikey), why not get a pair of Twins? Any particular reason you guys prefer the Thunder/Hayabusa?

Comment

Every twins glove I've seen were good quality. I use thunder (not to be confused with proforce-thunder) because I have a relationship with the vendor and get good prices on them. Plus, the company supplied us with some equipment in the past. How do twins glove hold up in long term use? 1 year + ?

You may be able to get a good deal on them also. Don't quote me (i.e. tell him that I told you that he can get you deals), but if you need reference to start that "can you get me a deal.." conversation please tell him UF Kickboxing recommended the gloves.

Comment

I don't get on with twins gloves, the shape of the padding doesn't suit me, they are also relatively bulky for their weight which makes slipping awkward without dropping your hands (especially with headgear)

Comment

Prolly gonna go with the Hyabusas on the strength of MMAMickeys internet cred and thems real pretty too. thanks

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X