judo club in arkansas - legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

judo club in arkansas - legit?

I know nothing about judo but am thinking of starting at this club, Ark Judo. http://members.cox.net/dobbsmichael/ They do "kodokan judo." They seem legit as far as I can tell.

The only strange thing is that they require a paid membership to the United States Judo Association to attend the club. In this part of the US with a dearth of people he has managed to register enough members with the USJA to be in the "top ten USJA clubs" - a ranking which comes only by total number of members registered. The club opened in 2007, according to the website.

Thanks.

If it is a member of USJA, then it is a legit judo club (from what I understand).
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

it's fairly standard procedure. It certifies your rank and get's you and the club insured. You will need it to compete as well. At forty bucks a year, compared to Tae kwon do it;s a bargain.

Comment

Should be an decent club.

Comment

The instructor is a

Black Belt (Nidan) from the USJA and the Kodokan. He has placed at a number of tournaments, and took 2nd place in the Masters Division of the Pennsylvania State Games. Sensei Michael is a Certified Coach and Instructor, a Certified Nage-no-Kata Instructor and Judge, and also a Certified Referee and Technical Official (all USJA certifications).
          http://members.cox.net/dobbsmichael/html/instructors.html

The instructor has fine qualifications for an instructor in the US. The club does seem fairly new and with a low average rank (sankyu and yonkyu are assistant instructors).

Wow: $20/mo or $200/year, plus usja membership. That's dirt cheap. Good deal.
          Last edited by Res Judicata; 8/24/2010 9:56am, .

Comment

Originally posted by wonkydog View Post
            I know nothing about judo but am thinking of starting at this club, Ark Judo. http://members.cox.net/dobbsmichael/ They do "kodokan judo." They seem legit as far as I can tell.

The only strange thing is that they require a paid membership to the United States Judo Association to attend the club. In this part of the US with a dearth of people he has managed to register enough members with the USJA to be in the "top ten USJA clubs" - a ranking which comes only by total number of members registered. The club opened in 2007, according to the website.

Thanks.
            This is a good thing, it provides you, and the club, with insurance, keeps your premiums low, and all but guarantees that you will have a recognized rank no matter where you go. Pay the membership and enjoy the Judo.

Comment

looks legit to me

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X