No announcement yet.

Fathers - which MA for young daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam - In the US the 1/3 stat is much closer to reality (from what I remember of my Criminal Justice classes). Furthermore about 3/4 of adults have been directly affected (in this case directly means one step removed ie good friend or family member hurt or killed) by violent crime. Parents in the US that aren't somewhat paranoid are either imitating an ostrich or counting on others to protect themselves and their families.

Comment

I think the word "Paranoid" is being confused with words like "Aware" and "Wary". By definition Paranoid is: "Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others." Now if you're assuming every random dude on the street will follow you back home, break in steal your shit and attack you're wife and daughter, you are paranoid (sadly like many people I know). But, if you recognize that there is some scary shit in the world and in all likelyhood your daughter/son/friends/ect. will know/meet some sketchy people and they might have to defend themselves, and a legitimate tested system is the best way to do that, well then you are just being realistic and wary.
      The point to remember here is two things. First, not even the most deluded optimist will assume that you will never have an incident or know someone that has, and no-one would argue that learning a system to defend yourself from a scenario that might happen is a dumb idea. We must remember however that living in fear only seeks to make you a nervous and un-trusting wreck of a human being and in all honesty I'd prefer to get stabbed in a mugging than live like that.

Comment

17 here, I believe Judo will be a great thing. but Like Zendokan said make sure it's something they will enjoy doing and nothing by force e.t.c. When it comes to BJJ you can watch thier classes and whatnot. some BJJ places have kids BJJ, wrestling your daughters showing them simple/fun techniques

I diddn't read all the posts but I'm sure some one put more info then me :P

Have fun!

Comment

Just so you gentlemen know, while I abhore & am disgusted by any attempt to sexual assault any woman...the 1/4 & 1/3 of all girls/women/chromosome statestics are widely disputed.

Comment

Originally posted by kimura92 View Post
            I think the word "Paranoid" is being confused with words like "Aware" and "Wary". By definition Paranoid is: "Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others." Now if you're assuming every random dude on the street will follow you back home, break in steal your shit and attack you're wife and daughter, you are paranoid (sadly like many people I know).

But, if you recognize that there is some scary shit in the world and in all likelyhood your daughter/son/friends/ect. will know/meet some sketchy people and they might have to defend themselves, and a legitimate tested system is the best way to do that, well then you are just being realistic and wary.

The point to remember here is two things. First, not even the most deluded optimist will assume that you will never have an incident or know someone that has, and no-one would argue that learning a system to defend yourself from a scenario that might happen is a dumb idea. We must remember however that living in fear only seeks to make you a nervous and un-trusting wreck of a human being and in all honesty I'd prefer to get stabbed in a mugging than live like that.
            Break those Paragraphs man, lol. :lol::boxing:

Comment

DerAuslander is correct and I also agree that sexual assault on ANYONE is disgusting. Some of the dispute comes from certain groups looking to further an agenda, where women are informed during the gathering of information that sexual assault can include times where the woman has simply regretted sleeping with a man.

As a friend told me recently, there are three types of lies in this world, little white lies, big black lies and statistics.
              GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
              Originally posted by Devil
              I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

first to those who haven't read the whole thread (do so), my daughter was attacked. He failed. She's a black belt in karate.

Originally posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
                Just so you gentlemen know, while I abhore & am disgusted by any attempt to sexual assault any woman...the 1/4 & 1/3 of all girls/women/chromosome statestics are widely disputed.
                I don't doubt it, but I seem to be able to find lots of footnotes to support stuff like these:

* 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before the age of 18.
                * Nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children ages 17 and under.
                * An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.

http://www.darkness2light.org/knowab...atistics_2.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/ace/prevalence.htm
                "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

I understand that the 1/4 to 1/3 stats are disputed. The problem with these stats is that you cannot rely on attacks reported to police are minimal compared to the number that actually occur (the exact percentage of under reporting is debated, but the fact that these attacks are under reported has close to 100% acceptance). Some groups say the numbers are higher and some report them as lower - basically the 1/3 is used as a compromise / average.

Also, while we seem to be focused on rape (worst case I know) the fact is that more people than not face violent crime (in the US) so preparing your children to take care of themselves (when old enough to be by themself) is simply the responsible thing to do.

I agree that paranoid is not the correct word choice here - aware or realistic would be much better choices.

Comment

I'm sorry ...I don't think I would want to tell my daughter afterwards that I'm sorry something happened but I never helped her learn self defence because the statistics were with her. However, if I had her learn self defense and she never have to use those skills to defend herself, I will be a very happy Dad. Better safe than sorry, in my humble opinion.
                    I have a great place my little girl trains at, she loves it, we don't push it- there are those days she doesn't want to train (don't we all have those days) and we don't make her go. Then a coupld hours later she gets bummed she didn't go. She gets to roll with other little girls, and for her birthday last year (5) all she wanted was a pink booster seat and a pink gi (she is quite the princess). The instructors are adults (a very solid lineage black belt as well as the blue belt assistants that work with him), in fact the professor is also one of my professors in the adult classes.
                    Oh, and she has been at it now for over a year and a half. The professors are waiting until she is 6 to give her her yellow belt. It's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_Fo View Post
                      I'm sorry ...I don't think I would want to tell my daughter afterwards that I'm sorry something happened but I never helped her learn self defence because the statistics were with her. However, if I had her learn self defense and she never have to use those skills to defend herself, I will be a very happy Dad. Better safe than sorry, in my humble opinion.
                      paranoiareductio ad absurdamknowgood

Comment

Originally posted by Petter View Post
                        paranoiareductio ad absurdamknowgood
                        Well said and I agree. We are on the same page it seems.
                        I also keep "bug-out-bags" for each member of my family in case a natural disaster ever occurs, but I'm not somebody who checks the USGS site every other hour. It's just a matter of being prepared to deal with situations if they did arise rather than wishing afterwards that you had. It's not being paranoid, just prepared. Yes, you are very correct, moderation is key.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X