X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the day 'Weakeners'

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel View Post
      When I did my First Aid training, the instructor said that they had to warn us about the ramifications of attempting first aid on someone and that it is becoming more and more common for people who have, for example, suffered a broken rib during resuscitation to sue the first aider. Don't know whether they actually got anywhere though tbh.
      Yeah it's basically if you try and help someone and make the injury worse they can sue. As far as I'm aware no one has been successfully sued though, thank god, as broken rib versus failed resuscitation doesn't stack up well in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel View Post
        When I did my First Aid training, the instructor said that they had to warn us about the ramifications of attempting first aid on someone and that it is becoming more and more common for people who have, for example, suffered a broken rib during resuscitation to sue the first aider. Don't know whether they actually got anywhere though tbh.
        Yeah , i had the same when i done my course , but , the tutor told us , don't fear as saint johns offers insurance for just such a situation :idea1:
        I often wonder if the 2 things may be related /sarcasm

Comment

Comment

Personally I would try both and see which you prefer as Jitsu can be fun

Comment

Originally posted by madmonkey View Post
              Personally I would try both and see which you prefer as Jitsu can be fun
              They even tend to slag off TJF on planet jitsu. It's fun if you enjoy being shouted at by people on a power trip and doing lots of unnecessary breakfalling.

Do Judo, that's the general consensus of this forum and if I could do it all again I would have done Judo.

If you don't like Judo but still fancy doing another martial art of sorts for fitness/self defence purposes then I guess I can't advise much but boxing is awesome IMO.

Comment

The general consensus is that judo is awesome, but it won't hurt to check out the jitsu class. Just keep your eyes open, give them a fair assessment. You never know, that particular jitsu class may be good, and if it isn't, then you've only wasted a few hours checking them out.

Comment

As this is YMAS, I feel that I wouldn't be doing my duty unless I suggested that drumharry considered taking a MA that has truly been battlefield-tested for effectiveness. Tenshin Aikido (Seagal and his team of special forces seals in Hanoi, FTW) or Kuk Sool Won (used by Korea to crush the Japanese in battle for over 4000 years) for example...

Comment

Thought that I'd de-lurk for this thread. Bear in mind that TJF varies wildly and what I saw may not be what you see.
                    i. Instructors humping lower grades. It does happen, all of the instructors that I've known have got it on with at least one student. I'm pretty sure that this is a consequence of TJF's hierachial nature (power is attractive, so instructors get pussy).
                    ii. Planet Jitsu doesn't seem to be attracting new members, so a lot of the current posters are lapsed. Most are up front about why they don't train any more.
                    iii. Aliveness. It doesn't really happen. The annual inter club judo competition brings a little bit of nage waza, but not nearly enough and the ground fighting lacks subtlety.
                    iv. Social side is pretty good.
                    v. Awareness of weapons is a pretty good idea, but there is a big false sense of security.
                    vi. Vs and the like are a prety good idea for testing quick responses, but the attackers repertoire is very limited and they go on for far too long. Most people are overly compliant out of self preservation, not wanting an exhausted tori getting frustrated and groining them.
                    vii. Depending on where you are, high grade training can be like rocking horse dung. I have a friend who covered (probably) hundreds of miles a week to get her light blue, dark blue and brown belts.
                    viii. Someone mentioned a sequence of throws designed to demonstrate a principal. Apparently it was lifted from judo. In my considered opinion, it is utterly useless, consisting of formalised ways of jumping out of bad throws from silly attacks.

I don't regret doing jitsu, any more than I regret the karate that I did before, but I found an MMA gym just around the corner from where I work and there is no going back.

Comment

Originally posted by JudoA View Post
                      There have been threads on Bullshido in the past about TJF but I felt that the people who started them (or bashed it the most heavily) were people who got out quickly. I didn't. I think of this thread as some kind of penance.
                      For those who haven't read them, the two main previous TJF threads I'm aware of:

2005, May

2005, Dec

Comment

Originally posted by BrassMan View Post
                        ii. Planet Jitsu doesn't seem to be attracting new members, so a lot of the current posters are lapsed. Most are up front about why they don't train any more.
                        This is interesting. After so many years, and now browsing over their forums, it appears that people just don't post about TJF anymore. I only see one TJF name there I recognise.

Maybe TJF has peaked/plateaued and will slowly decline, we can only hope.

Or maybe just less people are posting on the internet about it.

Comment

This seems to have come up several times now across the three threads that I've read on here about TJF - would you say that the drinking and partying culture is something that's central to the organization?

On the strength of what's been presented here, it all sounds rather unprofessional.

Comment

I think you have to keep in mind that a higher than average proportion of TJF clubs are university clubs, so that's going to skew the kind of reports you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackFox View Post
                              I think you have to keep in mind that a higher than average proportion of TJF clubs are university clubs, so that's going to skew the kind of reports you're going to get.
                              Yeah, maybe. I was just thinking of whether it's conducive to a positive learning environment for the students to see their instructors rat-arsed and out on the pull (perhaps amongst their own pool of students).

Thinking back to my time in 6th form at school and my brief time at university, the teachers/lecturers who socialized with (i.e. went out drinking with, nothing sexual AFAIK) students tended not to get much respect from those in their classes who were outside their chosen social circle - lots of allegations of favouritism and a general consensus that 'they shouldn't really be doing that if they didn't want to be accused of having favourites' and that it was well, 'a bit weird' for someone in a position of authority to be behaving like that.

Comment

I think that's quite different to a university club, where the instructor is probably also a university student themselves (either undergrad or postgrad).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X