Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask me about TJF aka "Jitsu"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by JudoA View Post
    Woah, you were very lucky! On the other hand you would have become an expert at throwing yourself all over the place.



    "We progressively bring in resistance at higher levels" - TJF

    Sadly, just not true. They do randori for the Judo nationals, which as the name shows, is just a judo competition. The randori will normally be done a couple of weeks before the judo nationals, and pretty much no other time. If you want to be good at judo, do judo! But if you want to win a street fight teh deadly...

    Over the years more and more people took up judo to win the judo nationals. Which was more helpful than any of the jitsu taught. You might also be told that the whole thing is "just a bit of fun", but the amount of times I've overheard people saying how they were "psyching their opponent's out" the night before and shit is just terrible. It's not even that respectable of a competition to be honest. It's supposedly all about the drinking anyway :D

    When practicing randori you can really annoy higher grades if you look so much like you're beating them, I managed to piss a brown belt *right* off when I beat him with some crappy lock I kinda made up on the spot (which had pretty much nothing to do with any of the jitsu I'd learned). Contrast with say, a BJJ club, or at least the one I used to train at, where even if I got stomped (and I did, trust me) I'd learn something, be given some constructive criticism, regardless of who the person I was rolling with was. I like BJJ :)
    Don't people have to qualify for nationals in your country?

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Lindz View Post
      Don't people have to qualify for nationals in your country?
      What do you mean exactly? You just say whether you're going when the instructor asks you and that's it. You go into the category with other supposedly equally skilled people - they're grouped by Judo/Jitsu grade, whichever is highest. Pro-tip: the judo grade is much more useful.

      Any ex-TJF here almost fail a grading because they were too "awkward" to throw? It's difficult to make it easy for a young woman to throw you TJF style at the best of times, when you weigh 14 stone it's certainly challenging.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by JudoA View Post
        What do you mean exactly? You just say whether you're going when the instructor asks you and that's it. You go into the category with other supposedly equally skilled people - they're grouped by Judo/Jitsu grade, whichever is highest. Pro-tip: the judo grade is much more useful.

        Any ex-TJF here almost fail a grading because they were too "awkward" to throw? It's difficult to make it easy for a young woman to throw you TJF style at the best of times, when you weigh 14 stone it's certainly challenging.
        I mean can anyone who feels like it go to nationals? Don't you have to prove your worth by winning or placing highly in a lower level competition, like whatever you equivalent of provincials is?
        I find it hard to believe they'd let some scrub who just spent a month doing judo randori as a break from his jjj non sparring onto the same mat with people who are gunning for the olympics.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Lindz View Post
          I find it hard to believe they'd let some scrub who just spent a month doing judo randori as a break from his jjj non sparring onto the same mat with people who are gunning for the olympics.
          Who's gunning for the Olympics now?

          Comment


            #20
            I assume anyone who wins at judo nationals would be.

            Comment


              #21
              I just spat coffee all over my monitor.

              This is the event http://www.jitsufoundation.org/JuJit...dori_nationals

              Nothing to do with BJF/Scottish Judo, which is where the Olympians like to hang out.

              Comment


                #22
                Oh so when he said
                Originally posted by JudoA View Post
                They do randori for the Judo nationals, which as the name shows, is just a judo competition. The randori will normally be done a couple of weeks before the judo nationals, and pretty much no other time. If you want to be good at judo, do judo! But if you want to win a street fight teh deadly...
                He actually meant something that looks like judo but is actually nothing at all like it?

                Comment


                  #23
                  I'll have to let him speak for himself, but I know that the jitsu guys have two nationals. One is a sports jujitsu kind of one and the other is a judo kind of one. They get called the atemi nationals and the randori nationals, but those are kind of stupid names for several reasons.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                    Oh so when he said


                    He actually meant something that looks like judo but is actually nothing at all like it?
                    When I last did it, the Randori nationals were called the Judo nationals. Consists of a morning of training, whether jitsu or some groundwork relevant to the competition. Last minute training really doesn't help much.

                    There are various little events I remember, the lower grades do some basic back to back, stay on the ground (gatamae-waza), no locks/chokes allowed. Then as you go up the grades it goes to locks allowed, chokes allowed.


                    Then you have the standing competition, nage-waza. If I remember correctly it's the guy who throws the other guy cleanly wins.

                    The open competition is where anyone can enter, and is normally a chance for black belts to show off their elite skills. Starts standing, and you have to throw the other guy cleanly (as in he doesn't drag your ass down with him). If you end up both falling over (this is pretty much what happens) then it becomes a groundfight where submissions are the way forwards. This is from memory I haven't done this for years, after I went for the first time I thought it was kind of pointless.

                    If you're good at judo you will dominate this competition. Most of the black belts train in other martial arts now, this confuses me because they rate Jitsu so much and then decide to train Judo and BJJ as well. Why not just do those two in the first place?

                    The atemi nationals are basically doing gauntlets, Vs and circles and then you're judged by how well you did. There are many videos like this on youtube:

                    YouTube- Mary Bishop Nationals V

                    People really go to see the black belts in action because the rest of the time in lessons they just give people push ups. Afterwards in the pubs they'll hit on the lower grades.
                    Last edited by JudoA; 8/14/2010 6:41am, . Reason: addition

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by JudoA View Post
                      The atemi nationals are basically doing gauntlets, Vs and circles and then you're judged by how well you did. There are many videos like this on youtube:

                      YouTube- Mary Bishop Nationals V
                      What happened with the guy on the right with the stick at 0:10-ish onwards? He's like "Yeah! Gonna whap her good with my stick when her back's turned! Actually, na - fuck it... Never mind".

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                        What happened with the guy on the right with the stick at 0:10-ish onwards? He's like "Yeah! Gonna whap her good with my stick when her back's turned! Actually, na - fuck it... Never mind".
                        He got lightly pinged in the side of the head.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by JudoA View Post
                          He got lightly pinged in the side of the head.
                          What with? A ninja star?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I just lost it when the dude with the stick just walked off and let her go at the other dude with a stick. LOLtastic. I love how she also stayed in the same spot throughout this whole ordeal too... like at the end of a real confrontation she's going to be on top of a pool of bodies like the Wolverine #1 cover.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Larus marinus View Post
                              What with? A ninja star?
                              DANGEROUS PARTS ON THE HEAD #1


                              Originally posted by nomamao View Post
                              I just lost it when the dude with the stick just walked off and let her go at the other dude with a stick. LOLtastic. I love how she also stayed in the same spot throughout this whole ordeal too... like at the end of a real confrontation she's going to be on top of a pool of bodies like the Wolverine #1 cover.
                              Yeah a Jitsu V is a V-shape (duh), where the guy in the point of the V sends attackers out one after another and you basically stay in the same spot (but remember your footwork!:suicide:) and beat the guys/girls who come at you using technique as opposed to the ineffective brute force of other less sophisticated martial arts.

                              A circle is the same kinda thing but you stand in the middle of a circle (duh) and the only people that can attack you are ones kind of in front of you.

                              A gauntlet is two lines of people, and you walk through the middle of them. Anyone could jump out and attack you! But only in front of you.YOU MUST DEFEAT THEM.

                              Also don't forget those disarms! They're very important. There was an interesting debate on a forum where they discussed whether it was worth doing disarms.

                              I always found it curious how many weapons were in gradings, if you're meant to run the hell away from weapons, why train for them so often? Why did the high grade session I used to go to always finish with a two man knife attack, why was this regarded as the most important part of a brown belt grading when statistically the chances of you surviving are non-existant?*


                              Sorry, I shouldn't be the one asking the questions...


                              *Unless you kick them in the knee cap of course :)


                              EDIT2: I'm trying to look for the Jitsu Foundation syllabus but can't find it. Seems to have been taken down :-/

                              In the mean time, self-defence for wimmins:
                              http://www.archwayjitsu.com/selfdefence.htm
                              Last edited by JudoA; 8/14/2010 8:26am, . Reason: Missed a (ninja) star *, Additional material

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Those 'V' tests are both the best and worst things I have ever seen since joining Bullshido. They're cripplingly funny but also genuinely chilling that people think that shit like that could save thier lives.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X