Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which martial art/mma do you recommend?

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'd like to thank Bullshido for providing such vast forums to discuss martial arts, especially in the case of ousting what you call "Mcdojos".

I am looking for advice, I am looking for a martial art which involves free sparring and without too many constraints (i.e. throwing and kicking both allowed). Primarily for the use of self-defence.

In the past I have studied a little Judo, and more recently I studied for a short time in Shaolin boxing and Wing chun, but we didn't have free sparring in either, and in particular within Shaolin boxing spent 90% of the time warming up and doing forms. Whats more both seemed to be used as advertising for going to more classes elsewhere (since both were held at uni).

It seems obvious that MMA would answer to my needs, but rumours go round saying its not for self defence rather sport since there's constraints.

I'm not looking to spark a debate just your honest opinion to what you recommend studying.

To my knowledge locally there are the following schools locally: Karate (Shotokan, kyokushin and GKR), Kick Boxing, MMA, Jeet Kune do, TKD, Judo,boxing, wing chun.

Basically most things (Probably a lot more I am unware of!)

I look forward to reading your replies,

Sam

So yeah, there are some constraints to the more sport like martial arts that need to be taken into account in a no-rules environment, but at the end of the day, the same punch-kick-throw you learn to apply to a fully resisting opponent in a gym is going to have the same effect on the streets.

You can learn all the dirty extras once you've gotten the hang of the bread and butter stuff that's allowed in sports fighting, and it's really these ring-legal moves that win fights anyway.

You say you've done judo in the past. Think back and compare it to your more recent training. In judo, you learn all sorts of throws, but you don't really know any of them until you pull them off in randori, right? Well all fighting is like this. There's no point in trying to learn anything unless you can practice it against a resisting opponent. All these deadly "street" styles, do they allow you to practice your moves against somebody who's fighting back? Nope, and that's why they suck.

Also, stay the hell away from Go Kan Ryu. Not only are they a crappy martial art, they do a lot of dodgy stuff to squeeze more money from you. There's a few threads about them here, look them up.

Comment

You should ponder what self defence means for you. For kicking fast/hard and run I suggest Box or Muay Thai. If, on the other hand, you just want to subdue someone, I doubt MMA, Judo or anything else will work very good on concrete, dirt or any other hard place. So running or avoiding bad places will be the best bet.
      If, on the other hand, you just want to BE able to defend yourself, any dojo with alive sparring should be fine.

Comment

Thanks for your comments! I meant just be able to defend myself, but on the same hand also like the idea of competing, i guess I was little dissapointed when never of the last martial arts I tired had free sparring.

I live near Reading in England, so have a lot of options, i'd like to try Sanda, but there are no local clubs, so think I will try out Shotokan karate and MMA!

Thanks for your answers, and in reply to Riduan "The cleaver sparrow never lands where the lion roars" ;)

Sam

Comment

Yes, but you never know when a sparrow develop a bad case of being deaf ! I understand what you mean, though and I wish all the luck !

Comment

Originally posted by riduan View Post
            If, on the other hand, you just want to subdue someone, I doubt MMA, Judo or anything else will work very good on concrete, dirt or any other hard place. .
            Why, exactly? The primary strategy of Judo is to throw people extremely hard. If anything it works slightly too well on a hard surface.

Comment

We don`t speak about a mat and controlled conditions here. People will resist, struggle, bit or scream, fear and andrenaline will run high, etc.The techniques will lose their effectivness and devolve in a half choking, half crawling fight, while the concrete or dirt will stand in your way... And this is in a one against one situation. If other people are involved, the situation will go bad and very bad.

Comment

We don`t speak about a mat and controlled conditions here. People will resist, struggle, bit or scream, fear and andrenaline will run high, etc.The techniques will lose their effectivness and devolve in a half choking, half crawling fight, while the concrete or dirt will stand in your way... And this is in a one against one situation. If other people are involved, the situation will go bad and very bad.
                And in Judo/MMA competition, your opponent doesn't resist? The Mat just keeps it safe so that you don't break something or your skin doesn't tear. As previously stated, the objective of Judo is to throw the person to the ground. In a fight, I think that you WANT to throw someone into the concrete unless you're using "Subdue" differently from how we understand it.

Comment

Adrenaline, resistance, fear (maybe) ..... all present in judo competition.

Any experienced judoka will be extremely well versed in applying their techniques under pressure. The half choking/crawling scenario is more likely to come about with someone who has no experience of grappling or the clinch range.

As has been discussed in several threads, biting is just not a viable option if your opponent has dominant position, which a judoka would be looking to achieve.

If there are multiple attackers, or if someone has a weapon etc. are exactly the sort of situations where you should be running. Although if you could name an art that can be relied upon to train you to fight off multiple knife weilding crazies without the use of an SMG then please tell me so I can go train.

Comment

We have to keep this one too !

OP,

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

do kyokushin over shotokan karate.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, why Kyokushin over Shotokan?

Comment

Search the style faqs on the site for more info about today differences between Kyokushin and Shotokan

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X