Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for a Judo School in Southern NH

Good afternoon all,
    I've been interested in starting Judo for a long time, and am now taking those first tenative steps in searching for a school. I've read the stickies on what to look for in a McDojo and such. Now I've found a school up in Manchester, NH. I've spoken with the head instructor, he seems like a really great guy, offers a competetive fee, with no contract, and I can train as often as they have classes that I can attend.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any experience with the school, here's the web site: http://www.checkmateselfdefense.com/, They offer Judo, Jujitsu, and BJJ (Under Aldo Batista) and from speaking with the instructor I found out that the Jujitsu they offer is called "small circle jujitsu" as taught by a Professor Dave Castoldi. I've never heard of either Gentlemen, so I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light on this school. Is it a decent school? Are the arts they teach effective?

I search this forum and others and have found very limited information.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's time.

Regards,

The fact that this link is on the site:

http://www.checkmateselfdefense.com/...championships/

Says they are legit.

I know Dave from years ago, tell him Mark Tripp says hi!
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

If you are close to Manchester, there is the Granite State Judo Institute http://www.gsji.org/main.htm , which would probably be a little cheaper if you are just looking for judo.

That being said, the school you did mention seems well balanced between sport and self defense, and Small Circle Jujitsu is a legit style to study.

If you are actually closer to the Massachusetts border, there are other schools close by as well, depending on where you are.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I actually live about 20 minutes from the MA border. So I can get to northern MA failry easily. I did look into Granite State and have contacted them as well, but checkmate seemed more what I was looking for as I do want to cross train, once I have a foundation anyway. I got the sense it was a legit school just by the number of LEO that train there, but it never hurts to double check.

Thanks again for the help!

Regards,
        JN

Comment

If you are in the Rindge/Jaffrey area, I would go across the border and check out http://fightingartsgardner.com/ They are more geared towards kickboxing, but they also do bjj and wrestling.

If you are further east www.massbjj.com in Acton. I would probably say its the school with the most experienced bjj instructors outside of Boston or Worcester. There are places out in Salem, MA too, but I dont know about the quality of instruction.

Good Luck

Comment

But if he is looking for Judo?
            "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Comment

Judo just by itself I am a lot less inforned. He did say he wanted to crosstrain. The only pure judo schools I know of are the Worcester Judo Club and Pedro's Judo in Wakefield. Neither are really convenient to southern NH.

Comment

Mostly in Massachusetts there are a lot more Shaolin Kempo or Kensho Ryu more than anything else.

Styles seem to flock and flourish in certain areas but die out in others. I wonder if it reflects the temperament of the people of the region more than anything else. Maybe people up here were just more predispositioned to like Fred Villari more

Comment

I've heard good things about Checkmate (here):http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2258480&postcount=18

If Mtripp says it's good judo, I'm not sure what more you need.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Looks like Checkmate it is. Can't wait to start.

Mr. Tripp,
                    You're not by chance related to Ron Tripp are you?

Regards,
                    JN

Comment

Originally posted by Judon00b View Post
                      Thanks everyone for all the replies. Looks like Checkmate it is. Can't wait to start.

Mr. Tripp,
                      You're not by chance related to Ron Tripp are you?

Regards,
                      JN
                      Yes I am

Comment

Very cool, and I will pass along your greetings to Mr. Castoldi.

Thanks everyone,

Regards,
                        JN

Comment

i am a regular student at checkmate it is a very good school and the judo class is very good im friends with the instructors there and both are great guys and id highly recomend the jujitsu. small circle is a very fun and effective style that focuses of smooth transition. overall id say go for it

Comment

There's the Derry Judo club. Pretty sure they meet twice a week and pretty cheap. But I personally was not impressed.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X