Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you can't train BJJ anymore, what style would you take instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you can't train BJJ anymore, what style would you take instead?

I'm about to embark on yet once again my path with BJJ and hopefully can go longer than a year without something breaking. I've made up my mind, another injury that will put me out for over a year and I'm changing styles that are less strenuous on the body.

My main choice is Aikido. Thoughts, flames, comments?
    Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Obligatory try Judo. I heard that it is gentle.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Another wrestling art? Man, I don't know any of those that are gentle on the body. Personally, I'd say one of the Philipino arts that contains the whole package. I've kept training Kali with broken bones and not been re injured. Also has grappling in it too.
      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

What about Tai Chi?
        Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
          Obligatory try Judo. I heard that it is gentle.
          I am a previous Judoka. It's harder on the body than BJJ imho.
          "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Comment

Originally posted by JKDChick View Post
            Another wrestling art? Man, I don't know any of those that are gentle on the body. Personally, I'd say one of the Philipino arts that contains the whole package. I've kept training Kali with broken bones and not been re injured. Also has grappling in it too.
            I was toying with FMA, since I'm a Flip and all. Mostly with knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho Dad View Post
              What about Tai Chi?
              That is in the top 5 of my choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandinha View Post
                I am a previous Judoka. It's harder on the body than BJJ imho.

I was joking, I'm a previous BJJer and I agree, Judo is harder on the body. That was my comedy part, falling flat on its funny fucking face.

Alright, general discussion part, being serious, if it is no injuries you want, TKD for flexibility?
                GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                Originally posted by Devil
                I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Toshindo. No I'm not kidding. Toshindo is ninjers (at least some) actually doing it right.

Also do Yoga. Trust me between falling out of planes and fending off younguns trying to prove something, Yoga has kept me going.
                  ______
                  Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                  -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                  The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                  -Daniel Tosh

Comment

aiki jujitsu...its kinda like judo lite

Or Bando...it seems well balanced and the name is catchy.

Comment

I was going to say Tai Chi and really mean it. That was one of the reasons I started looking around. My knees are f-ed up and I've had this injury in my right hand that is starting to effect my ability to work. So I layed of the grappling and started doing Tai Chi. But legit Tai Chi, the school I am going to does competition push hands, San Shou tournaments, and grappling competitions. Though the grappling is not as much of the others.

The push hands had been really cool and actually helped my wrestling. If you find a good school, you will probably like it.

Oh and my arm healed up after about 3 months of not having it torqued on!!
                      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Gezere View Post
                        Toshindo. No I'm not kidding. Toshindo is ninjers (at least some) actually doing it right.

Also do Yoga. Trust me between falling out of planes and fending off younguns trying to prove something, Yoga has kept me going.
                        You have clearly been meeting different Toshindoistas than I have. The stuff I've encountered made the booj look slick.
                        The fool thinks himself immortal,
                        If he hold back from battle;
                        But old age will grant him no truce,
                        Even if spears spare him.

Comment

I was serious about Tai Chi as well, especially if you can find a teacher like this guy:

YouTube- Master Chen Bing's Push-Hand 2
                          Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                            You have clearly been meeting different Toshindoistas than I have. The stuff I've encountered made the booj look slick.
                            I know and I shared the same veiw point but I've met many of them that have went the right way. One who runs a school near hear is a MMA fighter and trains under Team ROC. The schools here work to see what will work and what doesn't. they spar hard (I've attended several sessions) which is way way ahead of your average buj.
                            ______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                              I was joking, I'm a previous BJJer and I agree, Judo is harder on the body. That was my comedy part, falling flat on its funny fucking face.

Alright, general discussion part, being serious, if it is no injuries you want, TKD for flexibility?
                              TKD, maybe. But after years of Bullshido, TKD leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Originally posted by Gezere View Post

I'm on the yoga bandwagon. :)

Originally posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
                              aiki jujitsu...its kinda like judo lite

Or Bando...it seems well balanced and the name is catchy.
                              Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X