Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

introduction

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here a little while and have liked what I've seen, esp. the investigations. When I signed up, I got a note saying I should introduce myself, so here goes:

I'm a recently promoted shodan in Yamashita-ha Kobayashi (Shorin) ryu. My first art, though, was Matsubayashi (shorin) ryu, which I studied in my late teens and early 20s. I also dabbled in Isshin-ryu and took introductory classes in boxing, aikido, and tai chi while I was in college. I made it to 3rd-kyu in Matsubayashi Ru before heading off to graduate school, where I was too poor and too busy to train formally. Then came career, family, etc., and there never seemed to be enough time to get back into the martial arts formally (though I still continued to practice kata on my own).

But I never really got karate out of my system, so a few years ago, in my late 30s, I found a good dojo teaching a system similar to what I studied before. I've been at it for about 4 and a half years now.

It's a good dojo for what I want--it's anchored in a strong tradition going back to Chibana, but it's more than just endless kata-practice: there's some sparring, a little grappling, and quite a lot of partner work on everything from basics to self defence to kata applications to kumite drills.

Pretty boring, I know. I've never worked for the CIA, I was never in the military, and I can't do the dim mak or project my chi across the room.

Fun, check your local area for Bullshido Throwdowns where members meet up, spar, and other shenanigans. Hope you can make it out!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=91921&page=23

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
    X