Most useful real world martial arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most useful real world martial arts?

I have trained for two years in Modern Army Combatives and we mainly foccused on BJJ ground fighting.

I am currently training in Commando Krav Maga but want to move away from it since Monni Izak has been proven to be a lier.

What system out there will give me the most realistic fighting from stand up to the ground?

I want something that focusses on modern weapons such as guns, folding knives, and teache

My beaf with most traditional martial arts is that it either is competition based or is for fighting one person at a time. I dont want to continue in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu b.c instead of roleing I would prefer to kick to the head, get up and run, or hit the groin and run from a giotean instead of roleing and opening myself up to hits from his buddies.

I respect all arts but found that traditional karate, taw kwon do, judo etc was not for me. I would prefer to close the opponent and move to the outside instead of block and end up on the inside of his line. Also prefer simple moves that are the same. I want something that will end the confrontation as fast as possible against multiple people. I prefer to train in real life enviornments like outside in the grass, concrete, with regularly worn attire.

I am very interested in Jeet Kune Do and Bujinkan but fear that would move my foccuss from a reality based art. Whats the most effective street survival fight survival out there?

Welcome to Bullshido.

Some people are going to come along in a minute and tell you a bunch of things you don't want to hear. Try to be brave.

As far as multiple opponents goes, if an art doesn't reliably teach you how to handle one person, how on earth do you expect it to handle more than one?
    Originally posted by kip View Post
    Whats the most effective street survival fight survival out there?
    It's a toss up between keeping your mouth shut, and Olympic sprinting.

Comment

Look up the Dog Brothers, that's probably what you're looking for. I don't have the energy to tell you why you're silly.

Comment

Well he did post it in newbietown.

To make it plain. There is no true martial art that works in the streetz. You want to find the deadly and there is no deadly. You want someone to tell you of some ancient art that will allow you to fight your way out of a club no matter if they have uzis or grenade launchers. Anyone who tells you that their art can get you out of those situations is lying. Why? Because there are too many factors involved in a real life altercation. The best way to survive in the streetz? Don't talk smack and if trouble presents itself, run to your car while dialing 911 on your cell phone.

If you really are that concerned about your personal safety, by a gun and receive training and try to get a license to carry a concealed weapon. Also invest in some Kevlar.

Not trying to be condescending at all but let's just say you find the deadly and you use it. Well, then you are more than likely going to jail and if you actually injure someone you are going to jail for a very long time. You're probably going to lose your job and everything you own. That's in a good scenario, more than likely someone is going to shoot you or wrap a pool stick around your head.

These real life combat survival arts are gimmick marketing, the best you can hope for is to be able to maybe apply it to a one on one situation assuming dude doesn't have any friends, weapons, aids needles or magical pixie dust.

You're taking Krav so that's the new deadly of the moment, so if you insist on finding it, stick with that. I still think you are better off with the gun and the kevlar.

Comment

The TLDR version is there's nothing deadly street style, best you can do is something that covers the 3 ranges of combat standing, clinch, ground. Make sure you spar hard and often. YouTube- Words of Wisdom PT 1

See video about Aliveness.

Comment

Originally posted by kip View Post
            I respect all arts but found that traditional karate, taw kwon do, judo etc was not for me. I would prefer to close the opponent and move to the outside instead of block and end up on the inside of his line. Also prefer simple moves that are the same. I want something that will end the confrontation as fast as possible against multiple people. I prefer to train in real life enviornments like outside in the grass, concrete, with regularly worn attire.
            Shame that you had to dismiss judo. Really, have you ever been to one lesson?

I am very interested in Jeet Kune Do and Bujinkan but fear that would move my foccuss from a reality based art. Whats the most effective street survival fight survival out there?
            Go buy yourself a gun. You're interested in JKD and the Buj, but have dismissed the above? Consider taking up sprinting. It's very effective if you're committed to playing it safe.

Welcome to Bullshido.
            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

I hope this doesn't become a "Defend My Style, Damn it!" thread because that would be really sad for an interesting question, I think.

I agree it's unfortunate that OP would pick JKD and Booj over traditional karate (which while it has its bad points, is miles above the Booj), judo, and TKD.

What happens in demonstrations and films is certainly not real life and even if I were to "go all Jason Bourne on that shit", it won't ever be real. In real life, fighting two people at the same time is impossible.

I've tried. I got punched in the face pretty hard. Taking out the biggest guy and legging it is your best bet.

Also, "useful" is a bit of a loaded word. Useful how? Useful to defend yourself against a knife-wielding maniac? Disarm a gun-wielding punk? Getting in shape and feeling confident in your appearance?

If I were to pick, I would say boxing. Good old boxing. You get into shape, there's just about zero bad boxing gyms, and punching dudes out is awesome.

Sure, you'll get killed if some maniac has a weapon, but that would happen regardless. If the maniac wants to kill you more than you want to live, you'll die.

So I say go do boxing and watch less television.

Comment

Kip, more importantly than any of those questions, where are you located? That will have a greater bearing than a lot of style vs. style questions.

Comment

I would go for either run fu or gun fu, both would do the trick.

Comment

What about switching to IKMF or KMG (Eyal's new group that just split from IKMF) instead? You still get to train against multiple attackers, knives and guns etc. plus there is sparring and grappling in the curriculum.
                    Whether you continue KM or not though I can safely say, don't bother with the Booj - especially not for any element of realistic street fighting and/or defense against modern weapons (or even ancient weapons at that).

Comment

find these guys http://vimeo.com/4688098
                      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Holy shit. That's no joke.

Comment

I am in Pa. I cant believe that martial arts would not save my life if I train hard and long in a style. It seems like some arts are inheriently more realistic than others. I am looking for the most realistic art possible. I trained with a BJJ guy that five of us couldnt choke out at the same time when we rolled with him...

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Vlad View Post
                            What about switching to IKMF or KMG (Eyal's new group that just split from IKMF) instead? You still get to train against multiple attackers, knives and guns etc. plus there is sparring and grappling in the curriculum.
                            Whether you continue KM or not though I can safely say, don't bother with the Booj - especially not for any element of realistic street fighting and/or defense against modern weapons (or even ancient weapons at that).
                            Whats wrong with Bujinkan? The taijitsu is supposed to be one of the most deadly arts out there.

Comment

Just learn to box..at least then you will figure out if you are a wimp or not.
                              " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X