Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"10th Planet Doesn't Work In Reality" (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedMonkey View Post
    I find it ironic that the auteur of the video in question uses a demonstration of a peach rubbing against concrete to demonstrate the inherent uselessness of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a real violent self-defense encounter for a number of reasons:

1. If a relatively experienced BJJ practitioner (blue belt or higher from an accredited program) actually rolled on the concrete, the attacker would likely get "concrete peached", not the person who has said attacker in their guard or trapped in a mount/has swept them to the ground.

2. The human anatomy is vastly different from that of a common prunus persica....
    should someone inform this kung fu-er that grapplers don't make of habit of rubbing their "peach" back & forth on concrete? That sounds like some obscure kung fu conditioning anyways...

Comment

I find it ironic that the auteur of the video in question uses a demonstration of a peach rubbing against concrete to demonstrate the inherent uselessness of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in a real violent self-defense encounter for a number of reasons: etc

Finally, I believe that throwing one's keys at your assailant is the easiest way to get carjacked and/or prevent you from leaving a potentially dangerous situation (martial arts rule #1), and would in reality have little effect as a distraction.

Unless your keys were made of sand.
      question ever rolled on concrete? ever been on the bottom of a giant greco guy from the midwest whos trying to wail on ya? it sucks bro. you get your elbow all cut up, and forget about bridging on your head, shit dude concrete goes through scalp like paper. so he is right and he is wrong. BJJ is the best thing from ground game. But the ground is not a place you want to be especially when its summer on black top that 100 degrees.

oh and throwing keys, or trash or even your cap at someones face in a fight, while not as effective as sand, distracts them and makes them flinch just long enough to get two good punches in,
      but for the record BJJ is awesome. Just going to the ground is always the best thing outside of the cage. but you sure as hell need it just in case

Comment

I've seen videos of this clown before, infact I'm pretty sure some of his shit was posted a couple of weeks back.

Old news really, typical "I think this would work" and then they drill it in a compliant manner and VOILA, apparently that means it works.

Comment

Originally posted by fights4peace View Post
          Seriously, real fights are even more violent than mma matches soley because, in a bar fight or street attack, i may go home under a white sheet. and it happens.

Real fights are not protracted encounters that last 3-5 minutes like an MMA round either. Usually one of the people in the fight ends it quickly, because either:

a.) They do not intend to kill you, so they strike/roll then get up or allow themselves to be separated and then leave/nullify the event.

b.) The violence was a ruse as a means to another end, i.e a robbery. Now that they have your car/wallet/hostage, they leave/nullify the event.

c.) They intend to kill you, and they either succeeded or failed, so they leave/are incapacitated/killed/arrested trying to commit murder or having committed murder.

In real life, a fight lasts a couple of minutes max until one of the three above scenarios plays out. Everything else is how Hollywood portrays violence in the movies. So the real goal of martial arts is to be aware enough to stay out of these kind of situations, and if you do find yourself in one you can't get out of, to end it quickly and decisively so that you can remove yourself from the situation. It's always about NOT being in the situation, not seeing "who can whup whom" in the situation. That's what sport fighting is for. All other situations probably require firearms proficiency. Preferably longarms and backup if possible.

Comment

okay, on one hand he is right, and on another he is wrong. BJJ is the absolute best thing that ever happened to the ground game and grappling. You need to learn it. You dont need to be a black belt; but you need it. However alot sport juijitsu is pretty impractical on the street. its also pretty damn impractical when your a blue belt and the guy attacking you is any rank higher. thats why you need to cheat. if i was put in an armbar I would bite. If i was in an RNC i would bite or eye gouge,especially if i see his buddies comin to kick my face in or my opponent is clearly better than me ie I couldnt escape. Seriously, real fights are even more violent than mma matches soley because, in a bar fight or street attack, i may go home under a white sheet. and it happens. I dont want that to happen, so ya know what my paradigm is? Get as good at bjj as I can, and then figure out ways that make size skill and strength moot points, because there will always be someone better than you at BJJ, but no one can desensitize there eyes or groin or not pull away as I bite through their limb
            Paragraphs are thine friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Middlefinger View Post
              You are what's wrong with martial arts.
              really? read my post a little better. try to understand the context in which I am speaking.

My points on BJJ where.
              1) you need it. it is to ground game what boxing is to punching or muay thai is to kicking. you need to get great at it. but you cant wait 10 years for a bb to be able to defend your self or even 1.5 years to get your blue belt, you could need it tomorrow.
              2) it sucks in mass attack situations
              3) if you dont want to end up with brain damage because retard who got you in a RNC isnt going to let go until your brain dead. or his buddies are going to come and kick your face in or are raping your mom/sister/wife/girlfriend what have you, cheat.
              4) if i can beat this man with bjj w/o cheating, and the circumstances allow it, you should.

Comment

I'm not with you on the biting in an armbar, fightsforpeace, mainly because if someone already had you in an armbar they could weather the bite (it's not some magic pain release button, it hurts, yes, but it ain't a central nervous system shutting down type of hurt) for the couple of seconds it takes to break your arm, then break your fingers one by one until you let go, then proceed to punch the fuck out of your face for biting them as you can then only use one arm to defend yourself.

Bite while someone is putting you to sleep (a good RNC wouldn't allow it, though, the arm is under the chin) or attempt to gouge the eyes (dude, ever tried to gain the appropriate leverage to eye gouge from within the RNC? They can shut their eyes so tight, move their head around and let you ineffectually scratch at them like a pussy and squeeze until your scratching desisted) would result in your loss of consciousness rather than just controlling you until you calmed down and the resulting rage from your dirty tactics would not bode well for your unconscious body, assuming the person is not so adrenaline fuelled that they forget to let go out of fear for the safety of their eyes and skin.

On another part of the thread, a peach? A fucking peach? Run a peach lightly on the softest mattress and watch that shit open up. Fucking retarded.
                GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                Originally posted by Devil
                I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

So the real goal of martial arts is to be aware enough to stay out of these kind of situations, and if you do find yourself in one you can't get out of, to end it quickly and decisively so that you can remove yourself from the situation.
                  so we agree, I say passing the guard with a resistant opponent can take up to 3 minutes. if someone is raping my mother or sister or wife, im not going to wait the 3 minutes plus the time it takes to submit him. im going to incapacitate the mother fucker as quickly and as painfully as possible, and sometimes the sportative bjj/muay thai way of doing things takes to damn long. if you need proof watch 1 round of any mma match that went to the ground. just watch and see how long those same techniques that we learn ( because every gym is going to be teaching us sport techniques) take to get around.
                  Last edited by fights4peace; 6/21/2010 1:08am, .

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                    I'm not with you on the biting in an armbar, fightsforpeace, mainly because if someone already had you in an armbar they could weather the bite (it's not some magic pain release button, it hurts, yes, but it ain't a central nervous system shutting down type of hurt) for the couple of seconds it takes to break your arm, then break your fingers one by one until you let go, then proceed to punch the fuck out of your face for biting them as you can then only use one arm to defend yourself.

Bite while someone is putting you to sleep (a good RNC wouldn't allow it, though, the arm is under the chin) or attempt to gouge the eyes (dude, ever tried to gain the appropriate leverage to eye gouge from within the RNC? They can shut their eyes so tight, move their head around and let you ineffectually scratch at them like a pussy and squeeze until your scratching desisted) would result in your loss of consciousness rather than just controlling you until you calmed down and the resulting rage from your dirty tactics would not bode well for your unconscious body, assuming the person is not so adrenaline fuelled that they forget to let go out of fear for the safety of their eyes and skin.

On another part of the thread, a peach? A fucking peach? Run a peach lightly on the softest mattress and watch that shit open up. Fucking retarded.
                    depends on how and where you bite. there is an art to biting. and believe me if you had ever seen a kino mutai bite you wouldnt say that. but like I had said its really an extreme thing to do that is only warrented in extreme situations.

Comment

so we agree, I say passing the guard with a resistant opponent can take up to 3 minutes. id someone is raping my mother or sister or wife, im not going to weight the 3 minutes plus the time it takes to submit him. im going to incapacitate the mother fucker as quickly and as painfully as possible, and sometimes the sportative bjj/muay thai way of doing things takes to damn long. if you need proof watch 1 round of any mma match that went to the ground. just watch and see how long those same techniques that we learn ( because every gym is going to be teaching us sport techniques) take to get around.
                      Just stop.

Comment

so we agree, I say passing the guard with a resistant opponent can take up to 3 minutes. if someone is raping my mother or sister or wife, im not going to wait the 3 minutes plus the time it takes to submit him. im going to incapacitate the mother fucker as quickly and as painfully as possible, and sometimes the sportative bjj/muay thai way of doing things takes to damn long. if you need proof watch 1 round of any mma match that went to the ground. just watch and see how long those same techniques that we learn ( because every gym is going to be teaching us sport techniques) take to get around.

Question: are you 14 years old? Because your imagination is quite expressive.

Once again, in real life we do not find ourselves in these type of dramatic situations nor do we purposefully put ourselves there. In the rare incident (a shark would eat you first, you would be struck by lightning first, etc) when you would actually need the martial arts for self defense, a gun and/or a good pair of running shoes would be 100% more effective then "passing the guard".

You will probably go your entire life untested in mortal hand-to-hand combat, or use any and all knowledge of the martial arts to defend a loved one against rape.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Comment

btw just so you know 10th planet is the shit. period. this guy is trying to get a good point across the wrong way. I mean a peach? seriously dude human flesh isnt like that it is much stronger. and the _ing _un beats double leg is hilarious. no one would shoot in like that if they trained for longer than 1 hour.

Comment

Wow.

And they said that it was I that needed the ban hammer.

Just...wow.

Comment

Question: are you 14 years old? Because your imagination is quite expressive.

Once again, in real life we do not find ourselves in these type of dramatic situations or find ourselves there. In the rare incident (a shark would eat you first, you would be struck by lightning first, etc) when you would actually need the martial arts for self defense, a gun and/or a good pair of running shoes would be 100% more effective then "passing the guard".

You will probably go your entire life untested in mortal hand-to-hand combat, or use any and all knowledge of the martial arts to defend a loved one against rape.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
                              im not 14 years old. you have no idea where i live, or what its like to live where I do. So ya know I'm out in Hebron or however you call it in english, most of the year. If you have never seen a mother and child murdered by terrorist 100 yard from where you stand you have no fucking clue about what i am talking about. In the usa you are right you will never need it. where I live its a matter of when i will need it again.

Comment

im not 14 years old. you have no idea where i live, or what its like to live where I do. So ya know I'm out in Hebron or however you call it in english, most of the year. If you have never seen a mother and child murdered by terrorist 100 yard from where you stand you have no fucking clue about what i am talking about. In the usa you are right you will never need it. where I live its a matter of when i will need it again.

Surely you have not seen a mother and child murdered by a flurry of Wing Chun fist attacks?

'Cause that's what we are talking about. Hand-to-hand combat and the real world effectiveness of such. What does that have to do with terrorist attacks? And how will Brazillian Jiu-jitsu help in defending against 100 yard strikes with firearms or improvised explosive devices?

Not to patronize you, just re-railing the thread (This is YMAS, after all). Hope all goes well with you and thank you for your service (assuming you are in the service).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X