2008 Mega Throwdown NYC Pre-Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackrusher
    The weird, groovy and not too expensive (by NYC standards) Gershwin Hotel is near the Fight House.
    Holy shit, $109 a night for a double bed within walking distance of Times Square? How the fuck are they not booked solid 365 days a year?
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Comment

They're in the middle of trying to boot most of the people who have been living in the hotel since the 50's. Before renovations and hype. A big company invested a fuck-load of dollars.

I expect that after it goes all the way live as a hotel, then the prices may jump a bit.
      Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
      and remember what peace there may be in silence.
      As far as possible, without surrender,
      be on good terms with all persons.
      Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
      and listen to others,
      even to the dull and ignorant;
      they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Comment

Originally posted by fatherdog
        Holy shit, $109 a night for a double bed within walking distance of Times Square? How the fuck are they not booked solid 365 days a year?
        They also have hostel/dorm beds upstairs for less money, but you need to show your papers to prove that you're from another country. This has worked for me in the past, and would probably work for Canadians too.
        do, but take refuge in theory and talk

Comment

Jack where are you from?

Comment

So is there a decided date? I'm going to be in NYC for my sister's graduation, but if I need to, I'd like to get my tickets set so I leave after the TD. I can afford to take a week's vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by LI GUY 1
              Jack where are you from?
              It's complicated: grew up traveling, carry a couple passports, speak a few languages.

Comment

Hotels near The Fighthouse:
                http://maps.google.com/maps?near=122...,0.028925&z=15

Originally posted by jackrusher
                It's complicated: grew up traveling, carry a couple passports, speak a few languages.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiSRX7ghxiU
                Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                ATTN TOM KAGAN
                World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Thank god other people are being helpful on this thread....vacationing in the city is something I am not experienced with :P
                  Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                  ...Willing is not enough you must do
                  ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kagan
                    or alternately (since the man speaks so many languages):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBCRzgk9WMk

my favorite version of that song by far
                    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

You want I should start making arrangements with a drinking establishment to get us a room?

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
                        my favorite version of that song by far
                        Muy peligroso! We used to play this song in my old Surf & Spy band, Oddjob. Let's face it, though, the spy game is really about scoring Pussy Galore.

Originally posted by Errant108
                        You want I should start making arrangements with a drinking establishment to get us a room?
                        Sure, but let there be no no K-Town karaoke, you Secret Asian Man.

Comment

So no karaoke, but a room salon is cool?

Comment

So no karaoke, but a room salon is cool?
                            As long as they have OB. I didn't know beer could be that good. Thanks, Vinh.
                            Originally posted by Goju - joe
                            being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

If all you're ordering at a room salon is cheap beer, they're going to kick you out, but that's ok, I might just do it on principle.

Comment

Regarding cheap hotels and such, why not just stay outside of the city and take the train in?

If all you're ordering at a room salon is cheap beer, they're going to kick you out, but that's ok, I might just do it on principle.
                                Wait, wait, wait. OB is cheap beer? Wow. Is the expensive beer even better? You have to understand here, I'm a complete noob when it comes to alcoholic beverages. Unless you count the ACS stuff.
                                Originally posted by Goju - joe
                                being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X