Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knee pain

Hey guys,

I've been having some knee pain for the past few weeks in both of my knees. I'm not sure exactly how the pain started but i'm guessing it's from training. The pain i have isn't really unbearable, it's more annoying than anything else. Some movements of my knees cause pain such as establishing a high guard or setting up a triangle.

The pain is usually in the inside of my knees but it sometimes hurts in the centre of the knee as well. There is absolutely no pain on the outside area of the knees.

Usually the pain goes away after I exercise the area (leg extensions, squats, etc.) but something unusual happened today. I woke up today to a very swollen left knee and a slightly swollen right knee. I can bend both all the way (the right knee easier to bend than the left) but i will experience some pain.

This time i may be sure as to where the swelling came from as I was lightly rolling with my buddy without mats. I'm thinking i banged both knees which caused them to swell. The thing that throws me off is that when i was rolling, the next day my knees were in pain but not swollen. Two days after rolling without mats i experienced swelling.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Just go get it checked out by a orthopedic surgeon (Sports Doctor). Get it checked out and they will tell you what's up. I'm guessing they will give you an MRI and figure out what's up then give you some PT exercises and maybe a session or two if it's minor.

I would still rather do that then trying going solo. Knee injuries aren't something one should take lightly. It is starting out annoying right now, but can easily become serious if not taken care of.

Comment

I'm not a doctor or otherwise qualified to dispense medical advice but I'm gonna give you some anyway.

1. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Rest means don't use your knees at any intensity if you can avoid it. Ice for 10-30 minutes at a time whenever you can sit down for that long. Buy a wrap for your knee. Leaving a wrap on overnight has helped me heal quick in the past. If you're watching TV or using a laptop, put your leg on a pillow. These things should accelerate the healing process.

2. If it hurts stop doing it until it doesn't hurt anymore. Then try it again at low intensity to see if its gonna hurt. This may mean taking a week or two off from jits. You can use this time to work on your bench press.

3. if you are unwilling to take a break for the sake of your tendons/cartilage ask your training partners if they'll let you work on your top game and don't go s-mount to triangle. And roll on mats or at least carpet. Hard surfaces + jits = inevitable injuries.

4. Only after your knees have been feeling better for a while put in some time doing squats and deadlifts to strengthen them. Ask around if you're not sure how to do them correctly. And learn a bunch of stretches that bend your legs in every possible direction and do them often.
      Last edited by atom; 5/06/2009 2:42pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by s.nain View Post
        Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
        I think you should find yourself a good physiotherapist and ask them what they think.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X