"Natural Weight": Truth or BS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Natural Weight": Truth or BS?

Threads on this subject have already likely appeared here, but I'm too challenged to go with "search function", so I'll just ask:

In your opinions, does the body have a "natural weight" that you're not supposed to mass above? Views on this have been divided since long before I did my PE grad, and that was decades ago.

I do recall bulking up (mostly via pyramids, which were sort of new back then) and wolfing down the supplements--'roids were not as common outside of pro sport as is the case today. I maxed at 258 lbs. in my mid-twenties (I'm about 6 ' tall) but remember distinctly that my knees and ankles weren't liking it at all. I gave it a few years, but the joints still didn't get used to it.

Since then, I only do body-weight stuff, don't eat a lot, and have the weight down to 224 lbs. (Can still lift most of the same max, though, which might be weird). The knees and ankles aren't sore anywhere near as often. Hate to sound all mystical and shit, but would that be "my body telling me" that that's a better weight for me? Maybe. In any case, the older you get (I'm closing in on fifty), the less your joints should be carrying around, regardless of what the weight consists of.

How about the rest of you? Have you run into your "natural weight". Do you believe such a thing exists? If you have run into it, are you good with that, or are you saying "fuck it...I want to get bigger no matter what"?

My natural weight keeps increasing the more I eat and the heavier I lift.

In seriousness, the right training and eating should provide your joints and ligaments with the strength to support your body. Yes, high impact stuff will hurt your body more when you weigh more, but high impact stuff isn't really all that good for you.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

what was your workout like back then?
      http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by jubei33
        what was your workout like back then?
        For strength, mostly pyramids (freeweights only, no machines) and supplements. The pyramids were every-other-day muscle-isolation--it was the fashion back then--and I mixed in some ultraslows and timed-lifts. Maxes depended on what I felt like doing on any given day. Bulked up for about five years, then switched to body-weight exercises in about 1990 (I travel a lot and you can do those anywhere, no need to worry about having a gym nearby). Went from between 255 and 258 to between 220 and 225 and have been mostly around there since.

Feels better, but losing more mass wouldn't be amiss, given my age. Lighter people tend to live longer (and--more importantly--they do so on longer-lasting joints).

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas
          In seriousness, the right training and eating should provide your joints and ligaments with the strength to support your body.
          I wonder if this is an inherent difficulty of people who're obese going into grappling without a base level of fitness. The joints may not be able handle that much weight since the strength hasn't been built up.

Well, in addition to the heavy breathing :)

//fatty, certified to speak on such experience

Comment

The obesity bit might have something to it. Muscles that are untrained to handle the extra weight of large amounts of lipids (and the eccentric way that weight is distributed on the body, let alone that of a grappling opponent) may well have trouble keeping proper posture in order to reinforce other tissues in the joints. Just guessing, because I've never been remotely close to obese.

However, muscle-tissue masses three times the same volume of fat, so a person who is hypertrophic is still carrying a lot of weight on the joints...which are also composed of tissues which do not readily regenerate--and do so even less with the onset of age.

Comment

Being overweight can be hell on the joints, but according to my MD there is one benefit - if you were heavy early in life, your bones would have built up extra strong, so you are less likely to suffer osteoporosis when you get old. Don't know if there are any studies backing that, though.

I am struggling with getting below my 'natural weight'. I have weighed the same since about 8 months after my son was born, no matter what I've done to change it. I've dieted. I've taken hoodia and reduced my caloric intake by 1/2 for months at a time. I've done pilates, dancing and boxing, sometimes 2 and 3 days a week. All of the exercise has completely changed my body composition - I have gone down two pant sizes and significantly improved my body fat percentage, but my weight has not changed no matter what. It's frustrating and mystifying.

Comment

Aerochick - you've got all those positive things like going down pants size, reduction in bodyfat, the fact you think about what you eat and are active...yet you still bring it back to the number on the scales? Don't let that worry you woman! I find taking my measurements a better way to track my progress (when I"m not too lazy to do it).

Back on topic, I had the same idea that Emevas had. Its not just about putting on the mass but preparing your whole body for it by eating right, full body workouts, strengthening your joints etc. to handle the extra load.
                "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

I would say that if you are doing heavy weight training like Emevas that you are beyond "natural weight" . Your natural weight would be more attuned to what u weigh if you ate moderately and exercised moderately.

I myslef feel the most comfortable at 5' 11" 180. even though I walk around at 210.

Joints and mobility are serious concerns but also ur every other day training back then was not really conducive to tendon development hence joint pain.

what's your bodyweight routine now?
                  "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Comment

Steroids are awesome.

Comment

How about the rest of you? Have you run into your "natural weight". Do you believe such a thing exists? If you have run into it, are you good with that, or are you saying "fuck it...I want to get bigger no matter what"?
                      I have often thought the same thing. My body likes to be around 235 lbs. Its hard for me to get above that (the most I have ever weighed was 245). The least I have weighed (since reaching 18) is 204.
                      I am currently walking around at 225. I have been doing serious weight training again for 4 months, and have lost fat but put on muscle. I just cant seem to break that 225 mark. The unfortunate thing is I am 5' 8". I am barrel chested and broad shouldered so I look like a fire hydrant.

Yet I digress. Yes I believe that each persons body likes a certain weight range. (Talking on my own XP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vieux
                        Threads on this subject have already likely appeared here, but I'm too challenged to go with "search function", so I'll just ask:
                        Read the stickies. Srsly.

We need to refine what we mean by natural weight is.

Natural weight is not necessarily the weight one has been walking with for the last X number of years. A person that has been severely underweight for 10 years is not with a natural weight. A person that has been obese (not mild overweight, but oveweight/obese), that's not a person under a natural weight.

The natural weight for a sedentary, non-training person is approximated by height and gender here (again, stickies are awesome):

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...9&postcount=10

For people with an above average musculature may want to add an additional 10-15lbs to the numbers on those charts.

Natural weight is one that allows you to function optimally without the side effects of obesity or being underweight.

Also, natural weight for what purpose? The only side effect of increasing your weight would be an initial (not necessary permanent) decrease in cardio/anaerobic capacity. This is important if you are doing MA (and certainly more so with grappling/wrestling). But this can also be accomodated with the right training.

The faster you increase your body weight, the more difficult that it MIGHT be to train your metabolic capacities. If you have good metabolic capacities, chances are your work would not be that hard to adapt if you increase your weight. But if your metabolic capacity is shit, you are going to have an aweful time adapting it to an increase in weight.

Regarding the joints, they'll adapt provided they are trained properly. One can't expect to all of the sudden do drop jumps or plyometrics after 10 months of exclusively working on hyperthrophy. Exagerated example mind you, but one worth considering.

Joints don't adapt to mindless abuse. They adapt to proper training. You train properly to increase your weight, and your joins will follow.
                        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X