Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Fu Fury
    replied
    He does boxing, and as far as I know he's been doing it for a few years. He also has a reach advantage of about 2-3 inches, which doesnt make my offensive any easier. I can block HIS attacks ok, but my attack and footwork still needs practice

I talked to my Kung Fu teacher on Monday, and he says my main problem is still footwork more than anything else, and I need to work on getting in close and trying to avoid attacks rather than just blocking them, in the meantime trying to look for openings in my opponents defence, which he says will come with practice. He also gave me a few exercises to try both at home on my own, and with my freind in sessions, working specifically on improving footwork.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyCache
    replied
    How long has your friend been training and what art does he do? It sounds like he has a better sense of distance. Hand speed shouldn't vary all that much, really, unless one of you is a pro boxer or something.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Fu Fury
    replied
    Hey dude. glad you finally joined up to bullshido man. yea, i'd like to spar; you free on thursdays? that'd fit in with my current training regime.

Leave a comment:

• Ragamuffin
    replied
    Hey, am free most evenings if you wanna spar in preparation for your next bout against Josh, hell maybe you can do a 10-rounder against him on charity day (the day where everyone dresses up) and raise some money or something...

Originally posted by Kung Fu Fury
    I was sparring with a freind the other day, and I came to realise how horribly slow my punches were. Whenever I went in for some punches or kicks, I could barely hit him; he'd just batter them away or move out the way almost effortlessly, before counter attacking with an incredibly fast flurry of punches.

It was the first sparring match I'd had in a long time (I've only just recovered from a back injury), so I wasn't surprised I'd got a bit out of practise, but do any of you have any tips on how to improve the speed and accuracy of my attacks?

Leave a comment:

• Sakmongkol
    replied
    "The reason people shadowbox instead of just hitting bags, besides coordination and stuff, is I'm guessing it's valuable to hit air too, because you do sometimes miss in a fight and need to learn to rebound from that, and pull your hand back actively instead of relying on rebound from your opponent's face to bring it back for you."

You must punch dudes with rubbery assed faces.

Leave a comment:

• jubei33
    replied
    In the latter case, if you trained to get strong ligaments, why would this be a problem? Considering doing deadlifts or bar hangs. There is a lot of traction put on the arms, with straight elbows, but the ligaments hold up.
    dead lifts and bar hangs arent the same movement. The point wasn't so much one of damage but one of conditioning poor technique. decellerating at the end of a punch (before you make contact) cuts away at the power you can produce.

Leave a comment:

• tyciol
    replied
    Guys, I've got a question about this criticism regarding punching with dumbbells doing 1 or 2 things...
    *Teaching you to decellerate at the end
    *Damaging the joint and ligaments

To me, it seems like people would be trading off between the two. If you use your muscles to decellerate the weight, you lose speed, but you don't stress the ligaments as much.

If you don't decellerate, then at the end, all that momentum puts traction on the joints and the ligaments are what hold your limb together.

In the latter case, if you trained to get strong ligaments, why would this be a problem? Considering doing deadlifts or bar hangs. There is a lot of traction put on the arms, with straight elbows, but the ligaments hold up.

If you're a person who trains with pulling movements like this, wouldn't punching with dumbbells be less risky?

Without added weight, our limbs still weigh something so they do still have to decellerate and/or experience some ligament stress whenever you are shadow boxing.

Usually, rather than shadowboxing without weight , the way people train to not decellerate is by hitting bags or pads. Since this is the main way of training proper hitting technique without decelleration, would it really matter if you threw some punches with weights sometimes?

Especially in something like MMA where your opponent might pull on or torque your arms or try to snap your joints, doing whatever possible to strengthen the ligaments seems really important, even if it's not so much in boxing where this sort of grappling doesn't happen.

The reason people shadowbox instead of just hitting bags, besides coordination and stuff, is I'm guessing it's valuable to hit air too, because you do sometimes miss in a fight and need to learn to rebound from that, and pull your hand back actively instead of relying on rebound from your opponent's face to bring it back for you.
    Last edited by tyciol; 3/16/2008 1:35am, .

Leave a comment:

• nomamao
    replied
    Yep. I figured it was about the footwork and the timing.

Usually is. Most people have quick enough hands, if they are in the right place to do the hitting.

well, keep up the good work. Sounds like you have a good teacher.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Fu Fury
    replied
    I asked my teacher yesterday what he thinks. He says my technique is pretty good, and im fairly fast and got good power, and I also managed to get a few good hits in while sparring with the other students (So I'm guessing that I'm not as slow as I thought, but rather my out of class sparring partner is incredibly fast), but he says my footwork needs practice and timing need practice.

I either rush in, or I use attacks at the wrong time, and because of that I open up gaps in my defense too often. He says speed will come with practice, and I need to use different combinations of attacks, including feints, and most of all, spar as often as I can, preferably against different people so I get experiance with fighters of differant styles and body types.

Leave a comment:

• nomamao
    replied
    Originally posted by Teh El Macho
    What does your instructor suggests to do?
    I'd like to hear the answer to this question.

Leave a comment:

• Emevas
    replied
    Originally posted by Kung Fu Fury
    Emevas, does that include not using dumbells whilst practising punches? (I never use leg weights anyway, as even the light ones put strain on my knees and ankles) fair do's, but can I use weighted (1lb) gloves, as mentioned earlier instead? I've read on the web and in a couple of my boxing books that they work pretty well.
    Don't wear weights. I don't see much use in holding weights when you punch, unless you fight with weighted gloves. You tend to use jacked up body mechanics when you have too much weight.

Leave a comment:

• jasonmichaels
    replied
    the biggest factor in hroizontal push speed is the strength in horizontal pulling available to decelerate the joint.

hence, you are only as a puncher as you are strong a puller to stop it. I'd recommend inverted rows.

Leave a comment:

• Rubberduck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    What does your instructor suggests to do?

Leave a comment:

• Kung Fu Fury
    replied
    Emevas, does that include not using dumbells whilst practising punches? (I never use leg weights anyway, as even the light ones put strain on my knees and ankles) fair do's, but can I use weighted (1lb) gloves, as mentioned earlier instead? I've read on the web and in a couple of my boxing books that they work pretty well.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X