Need help with speed training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with speed training

I was sparring with a freind the other day, and I came to realise how horribly slow my punches were. Whenever I went in for some punches or kicks, I could barely hit him; he'd just batter them away or move out the way almost effortlessly, before counter attacking with an incredibly fast flurry of punches.

It was the first sparring match I'd had in a long time (I've only just recovered from a back injury), so I wasn't surprised I'd got a bit out of practise, but do any of you have any tips on how to improve the speed and accuracy of my attacks?

increase absolute strength both in horizontal pushing and pulling.

then start working on starting strength and ballistic exercises (throwing (medicine balls) being one of the classics)

Comment

Tennis ball fixed to elastic band on top and bootom, to ceiling and floor. Difficult to hit. There is also those elastic resistance bands, you hold the ends in your hands, and they wrap around your back. I hope I'm describing them right, they resist when you punch, and also help you bring your punch back. When you take them off, you will notice you are punching slightly faster.

Practice throwing maybe 4-8 punches as fast as you can, have someone watch to make sure you are not just throwing out ineffective punches for the sake of speed.

Comment

I'm ok to keep this thread here if it's related to speed training in general.

However, if this is specific for striking, this should be better discussed in strikeistan. I'll let the thread stay here and see how it develops.

Comment

SPRINTS? Rope Work? Box jumps and various other plyometrics? All should improve your footwork. It sounds to me like your footwork and cardio aren't where they need to be, because this guys is timing you, and you can't keep up with him. It might also be that you are chasing too much, so I'd reckon you shouldn't do that. Learn when to initiate. Your instructor should be able to help you with that.

For your hands, the bands around the back are a great start. Also weighted gloves (one pound) while shadowboxing should improve the hand speed.

Comment

Dynamic effort work with chains and bands.

Comment

Your punches are most likely slow because of a lack of technique nothing to with with muscular speed but seeing as this is in and pd forum ill comment on physical side. As emevas said you need to do dynamic work. This can be any ballistic movement but movements that incorporate accomodating resistance are the most beneficial. This basically means the use of bands or chains.

Comment

why don't you post a vid of your punching, then we could assess instead of grasping @ straws. My guess is hands aren't in front and you pull back to punch harder rather than one straight movement out. or maybe you don't tuck em in after you punch and he just counter jabs you?

Comment

Hey dudes, many thanks for the responses.

I have been using very light dumbells (2.5 lb) while practising punching (I try to refrain from shadow boxing with them as it trains everything unevenly, as far as I know), and I find that helps a bit, however I can't use the elastic excercise (resources and space don't permit for the time being). Ropework I use for most of my cardio work, and I'm steadily improving in speed (I would do running, but my osteopath says its best not to for a while, as I twisted my knee a couple of months before xmas; same goes for box jumping for now).

I don't have a camera at the mo, so instead of a vid I will try my best to describe my technique:

I'm still getting out of some of the bad habits I developed in karate (leaving the non-punching hand down when I strike, crossing my legs when I side step) but im getting better. I tend to use a boxing stance or side stance, and can switch between the 2 fairly quickly.

I've been told by both my Kung fu teacher and my sparring partner that my technique in punching is good, and as far as I know I tend to tuck my hand back to defend my face while punching and I try to refrain from pulling my arm back before I punch, but old karate habits die hard. I am working on it though.

When I'm using kicks, I tend to go for power more than speed, but they normally land better than my punches (probably because he's a boxer and he's not prepared for such attacks), but there is still room for improvement.

My footwork is ok when I'm trying to get away or around my opponent, but I ususally have trouble moving foward without getting punched, and even if I block, he's often already moved too far out of range for a counter attack.

I think its quite simply to do with my fitness more than anything. I havn't been able to train much due to a bad back (that sparring session was the first real workout i've had in about 2 months), and I probably am chasing to much, and tiring myself out too early on. Again, I appreciate your responses, and If anyone has any more exercises to recommend I'd be very grateful.
                  Last edited by Kung Fu Fury; 3/08/2008 10:54am, .

Comment

Im not sure if I read that correctly but did you say you are using light dumbells to practice punching? If yes then stop immediately. Using dumbells teaches your nervous system to decelerate at the end of the punch and will slow your punches down. The feeling that your punches are faster is only an illusion.

Comment

yeah dumbells might be a waste of time if you want speed. I would recommend using copious amounts of heavy bag working one or two punch combinations instead and if you have a mirror use that to shadow box in front of to check your technique. Speed is mostly technique.

My footwork is ok when I'm trying to get away or around my opponent, but I tend to have trouble moving foward without getting punched, and even if I block, he's often already moved too far out of range for a counter attack.
                      sounds like you're just rushing in and everyone knows it, maybe you telegraph everything you do or maybe you just aren't working your jab much, post a video and advice would be much more pertinent.

Comment

I've already mentioned, I can't post a video for now, as I haven't got anything to film with, but I agree about the rushing in. I have a tendency to just want to dish out as much as I can in a short period of time (I hate to say it, but I'm not a very patient fighter). As soon as I get a new wall bracket I will be doing plenty of Heavy bag work, and I should be able start sparring every few days from now on, therefore getting plenty of practice.

Comment

Just wait until he concentrates his Qi. He'll come back with an answer that will blow you out of the water.

Comment

Do not practice with weights around your arms and legs, unless your goal is to destroy your joints and ligaments.

Comment

Emevas, does that include not using dumbells whilst practising punches? (I never use leg weights anyway, as even the light ones put strain on my knees and ankles) fair do's, but can I use weighted (1lb) gloves, as mentioned earlier instead? I've read on the web and in a couple of my boxing books that they work pretty well.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X