• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working out while sick

You should rest.

Comment

How sick is sick?

I used to do it all the time but recently I took a Jits class while at the tail end of a chest infection and almost passed out on my feet.

Comment

your training partners would probably want you to be at home recouperating.

Comment

Three of us at Judo last night were sick with a cold that's going around. Two of us trained. I rolled with a younger guy last night, and at the end of it I went upstairs for some water and came back down shaking and barely able to stand.

Comment

Depends. Mild jogging can clear up a mild flu or a mild case of chronic bronchitis, allergies or irritation of your respiratory system (be it for dust, concrete, allergens, first/second hand smoking), specially if all it is just congestion (lots of mucus and shit.)

In all other cases, it's better to rest, up the vitamin C and B-complex, plenty of water and/or whatever the doc recommends. It should certainly be mandatory if you are training with other people as you may end up passing whatever you have to your training partners.

Armadillo oil can cure any shit, but its only for manly dudes

Comment

Just ask Liffguard. I rolled with him at a TD last year and my sinuses decided to empty while I was in his guard.

Comment

If you have ever trained in Circuits, the instructor always asks "Any injuries?" and in Winter adds, "Any Colds or Flu?". There is good reason for this.

Apart from your passing on your Cold/Flu (that will make you popular) - and in the UK, we now have the Norovirus, which makes you vomit (cf Asriel's comment about his sinus clearing during Guard) and will make your a topic of conversation. So, be sensible and think of others.

Flu can attack the Heart and some years ago a member of the British Team (Power Lifting) ignored his Flu and died during a lift. He was only a young chap and had decided to train through it etc. It was widely reported at the Time but, as mentioned, it was quite some time ago (years in fact).

Rest. That's the cure. If you must train, take the level down significantly.

Comment

Yeah, Ive finally learnt from past mistakes that Working out while ill is just stupid.
                  From my experience it just makes you worse.

Comment

I have an abscess and i'm afraid if I goto thai and get punched I'm goin to cry. I don't know if I got an infection through pickin up my mouthguard off the mat in the first place.

Comment

The older you are the bigger the risks are when training sick.

I'm no doctor, but I've heard plenty of stories of people who have had a life-threatening heart valve inflammations while training sick. I know a couple of "my friend" - cases and plenty of "i heard of a guy" cases though, so I don't know how common or how risky it actually is.

The common thing was that in each case the sickness was a of long lasting flu.

Comment

Do NOT train with other people while sick. That's extremely bad form. People have day jobs and families and shit. Stay at home, where you belong.

Comment

also, sweating out a cold can be dangerous if you intentionally expose yourself to excessive heat. You run the risk of dehydration, and worse, hyper hydration where you are now not only sick, but you've robbed your body of electrolytes so you are now physically over taxed, nutritionally bancrupt, and your body is nearing being totally out of the resources that keep your ass alive. Welcome to the reason why colds kill people: poor resource management.

Comment

Originally posted by Collective Bullshido hive-mind
                            Just do solo drills or something!
                            Don't strain yourself.
                            *non-specific truism*
                            P.S. Do squats
                            P.P.S. Typhoid Mary-joke
                            This is how the thread will turn out.

Deep in your heart you know this to be true.

Also, somebody will have an amusing anecdote about training while being sick, or puking all over this douchebags gi, or something.

ASK YOUR MOTHER FUCKING DOCTOR YOU FOOL.

Comment

I DON'T HAVE A MOTHER FUCKING DOCTOR CAUSE I'M IN ANOTHER COUNTRY SHITHEAD.
                              Also, what kind of a pansy goes to the doctor everytime they have a cold?

Flu can attack the Heart and some years ago a member of the British Team (Power Lifting) ignored his Flu and died during a lift. He was only a young chap and had decided to train through it etc. It was widely reported at the Time but, as mentioned, it was quite some time ago (years in fact).
                              This was the kind of thing I was curious about. I remember hearing about this as an urban legend.

Macho, thats interesting about taking a light jog for a small cold. I've had a cough for the past week, and i've been debating doing some running. It's clearing up slowly, but taking its damn time. I might go sit in a sauna for a while, open up the lungs.

By training I met gym/solo training. It should go without saying that you MUST stay out of the dojo while fighting an illness. Cuz that shit just aint funny. It should be a class rule. Get the fuck out of class if you're sick.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X