The Sciatic Nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sciatic Nerve

For the last several days I've had a nasty cramp that won't go away. It starts in the back of my left thigh a little above the knee and runs up to the top of my left butt cheek. I did a google search because I remembered hearing about sciatica and based on that I think it's my sciatic nerve. It's annoying, but I'm still working out partly because it isn't really slowing me down (not much anyway) but also because stretching it and making it work makes it feel better. So far I don't feel like I need a doctor because it's not like I'm in horrible pain and I can still do everything that I normally can- it's just that my leg is very stiff and tight. I find that I can stretch the problem area specifically by crossing my right foot over my left and trying to put the palms of my hands on the ground- usually that's easy for me but lately it's taking a certain amount of patience to get all the way down. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Does anyone think there's a good reason why I should see a doctor even though it's not that bad? In the end of course I have to use my best judgement but if anyone can offer some insight I'd like to hear it.
    Last edited by From Bell2Bell; 4/26/2007 9:57am, .

If it's getting aggravated from sitting down, i could be sciatica.
    Otherwise, it may just be the tightness in the calf (and possibly the lower back and thigh). If it's not getting better w/ you stretching and taking care of it, some Rolfing would probably help.

Comment

I have had problems with the same nerve, usually it gets inflammed and I go to a chiropracter ...the best thing to do is according to my Drs' is mild stretching and apply ice for 20 min on and 20 min off.

Comment

Welcome to my nightmare

Go see a doctor, if it's Sciatica it can be caused by a few things including my specialty degenerative disk disease.

Ignoring it will make it worse.

Chiropractors or Physio can help a lot

I go to a chiro who uses ART Active release techniques and hooks me up to a machine that uses electricity to stimulate the nerve and release the muscles around the nerve

Ibuprofen based pain killers like Advil is good for inflammation which can also be pinching the nerve.

Don't be dumb like me and ignore the signs.

Comment

Originally posted by jtkarate
          I have had problems with the same nerve, usually it gets inflammed and I go to a chiropracter ...the best thing to do is according to my Drs' is mild stretching and apply ice for 20 min on and 20 min off.

Is ice really a good idea? It seems to me that heat would be more helpful. I know a hot shower definately loosens it up for a while.

Welcome to my nightmare

Go see a doctor, if it's Sciatica it can be caused by a few things including my specialty degenerative disk disease.

Ignoring it will make it worse.

Chiropractors or Physio can help a lot

I go to a chiro who uses ART Active release techniques and hooks me up to a machine that uses electricity to stimulate the nerve and release the muscles around the nerve

Ibuprofen based pain killers like Advil is good for inflammation which can also be pinching the nerve.

Don't be dumb like me and ignore the signs.

Thanks, I'm def. going to take this into consideration. I haven't decided to see a dr. yet but if it doesn't improve in the several days I will. The stuff I've read seems to suggest that although it could be something nasty that it might very well just be a nuisance that will take care of itself. I don't want to bother with the dr. if it's just a pain in the ass (no pun intended) but I don't want to take chances either.

Comment

That exact symptom is how my journey into back pain hell started. Be careful.

Comment

I remember exactly the day and how i first hurt my back

We did fireman carries back and forth across the dojo

My Partner weighed in at 215 I must of carried him 10 times.

the next day my back was sore and making a clicking noise

I figured I could stretch it out.

a couple months go by and during grappling a 110 girl gets on my back.

I go hey! something doesn't feel right

3 weeks in bed later I finally go see a chiropractor

I ain't anything if nor ornery..... and dumb.

Comment

I had a Chiro do some ART on me, it was amazing!

Comment

According to the Dr. If the nerve is inflammed then the heat is not the best thing for it. Think of it as if you get hit in the face the tissue is injured and heats up ...you dont want to put heat on it because it will cause it to enflame even more. The ice reduces swelling and enflamation.

Comment

Originally posted by jtkarate
                    According to the Dr. If the nerve is inflammed then the heat is not the best thing for it. Think of it as if you get hit in the face the tissue is injured and heats up ...you dont want to put heat on it because it will cause it to enflame even more. The ice reduces swelling and enflamation.

I didn't think of that because heat loosens up the muscles and helps me stretch but that does make sense.

Comment

Heya! I've never posted here before because I am pretty much a loser when it comes to health and nutrition, but sciatica I know well...

I am not sure what you have is sciatica, but it can manifest differently in different people. I had it with both of my pregnancies (yes, I realize that is not going to be a problem for most of you) and it was basically a stop-you-in-your-tracks stabbing pain in the low lower back (like, top of the crack area) that shot pain and numbness down the back of both legs. The only thing that kept me walking was twice a week trips to the chiropractor - I think I must have bought that guy a beamer with what I spent. If you've got a nerve pinch, that is a mechanical/functional problem, so a chiro is going to do better than a Dr, but that's my opinion.

He also gave me a stretch that helped - the one where you stand with your back to a wall, about 18 inches away, then twist and place both hands on the wall and hold for 30 seconds, then do the other side. It hurts like hell at first, but you should be feeling better after a few minutes.

Do take it easy, listen to the pain, and treat accordingly - you won't be helping yourself if you just push through it.

And I didn't do ART for it, but my hubby did for some other problems and he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.

BTW Soju - do you go to SPC in Mississauga for your treatments?

Comment

Originally posted by AeroChick
                        Heya! I've never posted here before because I am pretty much a loser when it comes to health and nutrition, but sciatica I know well...

I am not sure what you have is sciatica, but it can manifest differently in different people. I had it with both of my pregnancies (yes, I realize that is not going to be a problem for most of you) and it was basically a stop-you-in-your-tracks stabbing pain in the low lower back (like, top of the crack area) that shot pain and numbness down the back of both legs. The only thing that kept me walking was twice a week trips to the chiropractor - I think I must have bought that guy a beamer with what I spent. If you've got a nerve pinch, that is a mechanical/functional problem, so a chiro is going to do better than a Dr, but that's my opinion.

He also gave me a stretch that helped - the one where you stand with your back to a wall, about 18 inches away, then twist and place both hands on the wall and hold for 30 seconds, then do the other side. It hurts like hell at first, but you should be feeling better after a few minutes.

Do take it easy, listen to the pain, and treat accordingly - you won't be helping yourself if you just push through it.

And I didn't do ART for it, but my hubby did for some other problems and he swears by it. Might be worth checking out.

BTW Soju - do you go to SPC in Mississauga for your treatments?

Thanks, I'm going to try that stretch. I've been taking it easy for the last couple of days and it's def. not as bad as it was. I think I'll just rest up this weekend and see how I feel on monday.

Comment

Watch out for aggravating it by your posture when sitting or driving.
                          During college I had a job that involved driving for three to five hours every day and it made my sciatic nerve on my right side inflamed as hell.
                          If you're driving for long periods of time, or sitting at a desk, stop and take a small walk every once in a while.
                          I have a friend who is one of those people that will drive for eight hours straight, and just like clockwork every time they'll be complaining about their back/sciatica a day or two later.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1444035
                          ^This article has great info on proprioception and posture while sitting

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/c.../sciaex02.html
                          ^This has some good exercises

Good idea to get it checked out as well, because if you don't have what you think you have you can do more damage.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X