Active Isolated Stretching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active Isolated Stretching

The best results I've ever had from post workout stretching has been from Active Isolated Stretching. I static stretch in the morning and evenings, and do dynamic stretches before my workout but after warming up, then do Active Isolated Stretching afterwords. I do 10 AIS stretches after my workout, the 10 featured in the book "Core Performance" by Mark Verstegen(Check it and him out at www.athletesporformance.com). It was a bitch, but I found a lot of information concerning it scattered among several web pages. Let me tell you, it is good.

http://www.aistretch.com/exercises.htm

http://www.ackerman-massage.com/ais.htm

http://www.cascadewellnessclinic.com...rt/art33.shtml

http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/DUHAC/Traini...local_copy.php

Stretch Video: http://www.stretchasia.com/services/video.html

Good descriptions: http://www.eas.com/training/trainingTips.asp?cmsId=586

It's a fairly advanced stretching method, and a lot of people wouldn't have the patience to use a yoga belt specifically to stretch muscles after flexing their opponent ones.

Comment

A cooldown is still part of your workout. Don't get lazy. I do the 5 minute general warmup, 5 dynamic stretches, rotator cuff warmup, 5 start and stop/plyo/core drills, main pyramid set based 4 compound lift workout, AIS stretches, and the hot/cold contrast shower. Not to mention I eat 6 times a day and do a 10 minute static stretching routine day and night. Maximum time invested daily: 2 hours. Work like you mean it.

Comment

Very nice video.
        A bit contraversial though.
        Does that only release muscles or adds flexibility?

Comment

The premise is that you contract one muscle, forcing the opposing muscle to relax, then while still contracting, stretch the opposing muscle, which is relaxed, stretching it to a point, then helping it through a new range of motion with usually a rope. The most popular ones are for your legs, but there are some for the rest of your body too. You don't hold the stretch for long periods of time like with static stretching, but rather you hold the advanced stretch(as your pulling on the rope) for 3 seconds, release, and do it again after relaxing for a second or 2, a total of 3 times. Since your contracting one muscle, it creates muscle memory in the new range of motion, increasing flexibility better than any other method I know in a shorter amount of time. It takes me about 3 minutes to go through my 10 AIS cooldown stretches. The shit works.

Comment

Originally posted by baofuhaibo
            A cooldown is still part of your workout. Don't get lazy. I do the 5 minute general warmup, 5 dynamic stretches, rotator cuff warmup, 5 start and stop/plyo/core drills, main pyramid set based 4 compound lift workout, AIS stretches, and the hot/cold contrast shower. Not to mention I eat 6 times a day and do a 10 minute static stretching routine day and night. Maximum time invested daily: 2 hours. Work like you mean it.

I'm sure if I spelled out my entire routine, it would look pretty darned impressive, as well.

Though I probably wouldn't do static stretches in the morning without any form of warming up or exercise.

Steve: "Good morning, Muscles!"

Muscles: "Good morning, Steve!"

S: "How are you feeling this morning?"

M: "Well, we're not all that warmed up; pretty tight and cold at the moment, really."

S: "Well, what say I yank the shit out of you and hold it for 30 seconds at a time?"

M: "What, hey, what are you doing, don't do th-OWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

S: "Yeahhh, loosen these babies up."

M: "OW YOU CRAZY SON OF A BITCH! HOW ABOUT A WARMU-OWWWWW!"

Comment

You make a good point, Steve.

Comment

Interesting, I've been looking to step up my stretching lately (past the usual dynamic/static combo), so I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai Steve
                  I'm sure if I spelled out my entire routine, it would look pretty darned impressive, as well.

Though I probably wouldn't do static stretches in the morning without any form of warming up or exercise.

Steve: "Good morning, Muscles!"

Muscles: "Good morning, Steve!"

S: "How are you feeling this morning?"

M: "Well, we're not all that warmed up; pretty tight and cold at the moment, really."

S: "Well, what say I yank the shit out of you and hold it for 30 seconds at a time?"

M: "What, hey, what are you doing, don't do th-OWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

S: "Yeahhh, loosen these babies up."

M: "OW YOU CRAZY SON OF A BITCH! HOW ABOUT A WARMU-OWWWWW!"
                  I meant after a 3 minute shadowboxing warmup, plus I only hold my static stretches for 10-30 seconds, I get them out of the book "Stretching".

Comment

you must be a fat bitch if you consider 3 minutes of shadow boxing a warm up

Comment

For a static stretching session, yes. WTF?

Comment

No, no it wouldn't. :violent5:

Comment

Originally posted by Equipoise
                          No, no it wouldn't. :violent5:

Bah. It would be as equally impressive as his, meaning, not impressive.

I'm almost certain that if Men's Health said that eating semen increased metabolism and promoted lean muscle mass, Bao would be guzzling man-seed by the tube-full.

I can see it now:

"SW ILLINOIS SPERM BANK ROBBED AT SWORDPOINT BY INSURANCE SALESMAN."

Comment

I'm almost certain that if Men's Health said that eating semen increased metabolism and promoted lean muscle mass, Bao would be guzzling man-seed by the tube-full.
                            Something tells me Bao doesn't need Men's Health to tell him that.

Comment

Originally posted by War Phalange
                              Something tells me Bao doesn't need Men's Health to tell him that.
                              He is correct. I don't even follow Men's Health's anything advice now. My last 8 weeks of program were a collaboration of my mind and Koto Ryu's, as well as the next 8. Then I'll be moving on to training directly under the highly celebrated Mark Verstegen, as per his book, Core Performance. Look up Mark's stats and tell me that program's bad.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X