Changing the way you do pushups and associated feelings of n00bness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the way you do pushups and associated feelings of n00bness

I'm sad. I got told I do my pushups with my arms too far apart and they should be in line with my shoulders ala when punching, which I thought they were but it turns out I had delusions of shoulder grandeur. So now suddenly the amount of pushups I can do has turned to shit and I feel like a n00b all over again. SUCKS. :sad7:

The wider the separation between arms, the higher the chest implication, the narrower, the higher the tricpes implication.

I like to mix different separations when I do them.

Comment

Meh, don't sweat it. Keep going at it, and you'll see in a few weeks how your body gets accostumed to the new posture. In fact, you should experiment a little doing push-ups in a medicine ball if you hadn't already as well as jumping push-ups.
      Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

To follow on from Lights Out's post, you've learned that your triceps need a bit of work; but at least you can take solace in knowing that you have a great chest.

(Someone had to say it. And I'm usually so well behaved...)

Comment

Pushups (and pullups) should be done al the ways you can (narrow, standard, wide, elevated) so that you get the maximum useage out of all the muscles involved, leaving none neglected.
          "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Comment

Originally posted by elnyka
            In fact, you should experiment a little doing push-ups in a medicine ball if you hadn't already as well as jumping push-ups.
            I think you'd be hardpressed to find a medicine ball that you can fit into, but good luck.
            I've also started doing pushups daily with my arms in line with my body and im down to about 30 which took a nice chunk out of my ego. That's ok, though because I knew I wasn't strong anyways. I've also recently started doing variations, as was mentioned, to benefit all possible muscles. I like doing pushups with my feet on a swiss ball, too. It adds a lot to the exercise.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X