No announcement yet.

Muscle mass!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garlic supplementation increases testicular testosterone and decreases plasma corticosterone in rats fed a high protein diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/8/2150 <-- full study.

"Garlic is a wonderful herb that contains a potent active ingredient called allicin that helps to increase testosterone."

http://www.testosterone-booster-guid...tosterone.html

"...garlic is a fantastic vegetable, it assists in testosterone production and suppresses cortisol production."

http://www.extremenutrition.co.uk/ne...-anabolics.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

That's excellent. As far as I know, steroids do that too (increase testosterone in the body, for the most part,) and then for whatever reason the byproduct of that testosterone is more estrogen (aromatize? metasticize? I don't remember the word.)

Then, the byproduct of the extra estrogen (right now I am talking about steroids) is gynocomastia, or bitch tits. While I am not stating that garlic will raise your estrogen that high (it was, in fact, a joke regarding the italians,) I am saying that there are more than enough places that state garlic raises estrogen, and you aren't exactly refuting it.

Now, let me pose a hypothetical question. If we look at different points of the same process, can we draw completely different conclusions?
      Last edited by CNagy; 5/03/2006 5:14am, .

Comment

Originally posted by CNagy
        That's excellent. As far as I know, steroids do that too (increase testosterone in the body, for the most part,) and then for whatever reason the byproduct of that testosterone is more estrogen (aromatize? metasticize? I don't remember the word.)
        Extra T gets aromatized by the body to try and regulate levels of both hormones. Steroids do more than just raise T levels. There are many many different types and they all do a variety of things. T can be injected on its own as well.

[QUOTE] Then, the byproduct of the extra estrogen (right now I am talking about steroids) is gynocomastia, or bitch tits.[/quote}

Gynomastia can occur for reasons other than just extra estrogen. A hormone imbalance can cause this even during a cycle of AAS.

While I am not stating that garlic will raise your estrogen that high (it was, in fact, a joke regarding the italians,) I am saying that there are more than enough places that state garlic raises estrogen, and you aren't exactly refuting it. Now, let me pose a hypothetical question. If we look at different points of the same process, can we draw completely different conclusions?
        <- Italian. I'm also refuting that statement, IE I said the fact that garlic lowers T levels is bullshit. The "more than enough places" so far consist of anecdotal evidence which means squat along with some hippie feminist run site that has absolutely NO scientific evidence to state the garlic lowers T levels. Your herbal chem site quote is horribly out of context and let's analyze the estrogenic properties of garlic versus soy.

Soy flour - 130.92

Garlic- 0.380

That's per gram. So if you feel like eating garlic by the clove to the point that it MIGHT effect androgen receptors, go ahead. As for people who like garlic, whether it be a little or a lot, it won't be a problem. In an extreme doseage one would have to worry about blood poisoning, ulcers and a plethora of other problems before the androgen receptors would even be analyzed. The Allicin in garlic far outweighs the estrogenic properties in any doseage. The estrogen is also healthy as both hormones need to be in balance. The testicles do produce a fair amt of estrogen as well as testosterone.
        Last edited by Equipoise; 5/03/2006 6:39pm, .
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXiN-_BCts

Numa ^ 3

Comment

Alright, now that you've explained it and it is in context, I am ready to concede the point. But since we are talking out of context, without quoting a study regarding the threshold of how much phytoestrogen it takes to affect the receptors, comparing soy and garlic only shows garlic has very little [whatever is being measured] in comparison to soy. That doesn't tell anyone anything about how much [whatever is being measured] it takes to have an effect.

You pretty much jump from saying that garlic has little in comparison to the idea that you'd have to eat it by the clove. You certainly don't have to humor me, but I'd like to see the backup on that one.

Edit: For the record, I didn't say that Garlic lowered T. I said it raised E, as all my sources have said.

Comment

Originally posted by Equipoise
            Garlic supplementation increases testicular testosterone and decreases plasma corticosterone in rats fed a high protein diet.
            So if I eat garlic, my balls are gonna grow? Holy shit, that's so fucking cool!!!!
            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X